Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to let PS3 and Laptop access same USB Drive?

• 26-10-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I've an Eircom Netopia Wireless Router and want to let me laptop and PS3 see two external drives (I usually plug the drives into either the laptop or PS3)

Is there any way I can plug the drives into the router to share them out to the PS3 and laptop?

Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Not on that router, other routers - yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Thanks

Any idea which router might do it?
    Also is it possible to change router if I'm with Eircom?
    How would I transfer the settings from one router to another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭Varik

mathie wrote: »
    Thanks

Any idea which router might do it?
    Also is it possible to change router if I'm with Eircom?
    How would I transfer the settings from one router to another?

Getting a new router would be better than the eircom one but something like this would work as well, there will be a few other models that will be link to that page so have a look for something in you price range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The Netgear wndr3700 allows you to share out one USB drive. You could just connect it to your existing Eircom router and disable the wireless on that (essentially just using the Eircom device as a modem).

There are other routers out there with similar functions. You may also consider using a NAS device instead of replacing your router and using portable drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm guessing this id for playing media off the external drives? If that's the case, set up a uPNP server on the PC, and put the media directories in it. The PS3 will stream from a uPNP server, and you'll be able to access the files directly on the PC, so no problem there.

TVersity is a good uPNP server to use. It's also free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Varik wrote: »
    Getting a new router would be better than the eircom one but something like this would work as well, there will be a few other models that will be link to that page so have a look for something in you price range.

Dont get Belkin stuff theyre awful

Advertisement