Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hobbit may be filmed in Ireland

• 26-10-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

New Zealand's government has warned that it will not get into a bidding war to prevent Warner Bros from moving its big Hobbit production to another country.

Reports have suggested that Warner Bros is considering locations in Ireland, England, Scotland, Canada, Australia and eastern Europe.
    Economists said the move could cost New Zealand up to $1.5bn.

I think we better bring in the puffy director pants tax quick and milk these guys for all their worth. It's ok everyone, the bad times are over!

Don't forget the leaving town tax!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Dermot Gavin to play Bilbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

bonerm wrote: »
    Dermot Gavin to play Bilbo.

Craig Doyle will probably get his greasy mitts in somehow. He seems to be all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

This will never happen. There'll be some ludicrous tax rushed in to tax film production entering the country. Peter Jackson will get to immigration and they'll be all 'give us the tax.' He'll be like 'GTFO' and the tax guy will be all like 'YOU SHALL NOT PASS!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Surely theres a role for Bertie in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Martin freeman is already cast to play dildo, or so I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Sanjuro wrote: »
    This will never happen. There'll be some ludicrous tax rushed in to tax film production entering the country. Peter Jackson will get to immigration and they'll be all 'give us the tax.' He'll be like 'GTFO' and the tax guy will be all like 'YOU SHALL NOT PASS!'

Doubtful, I'd say it will be a chance for some brown envelopes to be passed around, if only they contained P45s though.

WindSock wrote: »

"Dildo and the magic ring"? It's sure to be a boxoffice winner.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Doubtful, I'd say it will be a chance for some brown envelopes to be passed around, if only they contained P45s though.
    Well I don't actually think that scenario will arise. It was just a load of crap so I could type 'YOU SHALL NOT PASS.'

Sweet. Got to use it a second time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Brian Cowen is set to play Thorin Oakenshield - the proud, pompous head of the company of dwarves and heir to the destroyed dwarven kingdom under the Lonely Mountain. Thorin makes many mistakes in his leadership, relying on Gandalf (Brian Lenihan) and Bilbo (John Gormley) to get him out of trouble, but he proves himself a mighty warrior.

The last bit is pure fantasy, of course.

I hope they throw in a few more gay love-scenes like at the end of Return of King.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

The Hobbit (Part 1)

Bilbo Baggins, a Hobbit, journeys to the Lonely Mountain accompanied by a group of dwarves to reclaim a treasure taken from them by the dragon Smaug.

Is this just LOTR in a different setting ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The Hobbit (Part 1)

Bilbo Baggins, a Hobbit, journeys to the Lonely Mountain accompanied by a group of dwarves to reclaim a treasure taken from them by the dragon Smaug.

Dwarftastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Lets see how Cowen and co cock this one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Well it is the Land of the Little People........:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I nominate Jake Le Motta to play the troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Omg.. I hope it happens! I am totally gatecrashing to get myself an extra part if that's the case... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The Hobbit (Part 1)

Did you even read or watch LOTR? Christ, I hate the films, but The Hobbit is about getting treasure from Smaug, and LOTR is a film about walking. Oh and a ring.

Flojo wrote: »
    Omg.. I hope it happens! I am totally gatecrashing to get myself an extra part if that's the case... :pac:
    Just remember... speak friend and enter.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Just remember... speak friend and enter.

Mellon! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I hope this doesn't happen, the Hobbit belongs in New Zealand and there is where it should be filmed.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't happen, the Hobbit belongs in New Zealand and there is where it should be filmed.

Sooo true.. but come on, gatecrash that shizzle for the win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

Wait if its costing New Zealand 1.5bn or whaever why would it work in reverse here????:confused::confused::confused:

OH YA....were in different hemispheres so everything works in reverse:D

Stinicker wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't happen, the Hobbit belongs in New Zealand.

Agreed. Pity she didn't stay there. She could shove the bill up her hole too while she was at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

i'll audition and make sure everything goes smooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

WindSock wrote: »

Bruce Willis, I heard.
    Old hobbits die hard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Des Carter wrote: »
    Wait if its costing New Zealand 1.5bn or whaever why would it work in reverse here????:confused::confused::confused:

OH YA....were in different hemispheres so everything works in reverse:D

No it is worth 1.5bn to the New Zealand economy, however knowing Ireland it would probably see us bailing out some New Zealand bank in the process, public money would have to be squandered so long as there was chance of a Fianna Fail kronie making a buck from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

Did you even read or watch LOTR? Christ, I hate the films, but The Hobbit is about getting treasure from Smaug, and LOTR is a film about walking. Oh and a ring.

What age are you?
    Call me old fashioned but I prefer films with people in them
    wtf is a Hobbit anyway ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

You hate them? then why watch them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Surely theres a role for Bertie in it

Nah Grima Wormtongue is not in the Hobbit, so that rules Bertie out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Three pages in and nobody has compared Smaug to NAMA, Harney or the HSE!!

Shame!
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Kess73 wrote: »
    Nah Grima Wormtongue is not in the Hobbit, so that rules Bertie out.
    Thought Wormtongue was already played by Eoghan Harris, Ryan Tubridy, et al?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

NZ will look better. It has the mountains to carry off the Misty Mountains plus the Lonely Mountain of course. And I'm sure it has more forest than Ireland.

Three pages in and nobody has compared Smaug to NAMA, Harney or the HSE!!

Shame!
    :D:D

In fairness Harney is closer to the pig from The Black Cauldron.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

I agree than NZ would look much better than here for the film.

Looking back at the LoTR trilogy, do you think it would have been as epic had it been set in Ireland? Sure, a lot of the scenes would transfer without notice, but others, especially the mountainous scenes, would look a little.......small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

excellent thread, would read again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

has someone been listening to Kevin Smith?:D

Anyway I think it would be good to have the film done here. I believe Christopher Lee, who played Sauraman in the LOTR said he couldn't do The Hobbit because of the long distance travel he would have to do to New Zealand, but Ireland is a lot closer so he could proberly play Sauraman again. Also it's always good to talk about how movies were made here. We still talk about how part Saving Private Ryan was done in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Riddle101 wrote: »
    has someone been listening to Kevin Smith?:D

Anyway I think it would be good to have the film done here. I believe Christopher Lee, who played Sauraman in the LOTR said he couldn't do The Hobbit because of the long distance travel he would have to do to New Zealand, but Ireland is a lot closer so he could proberly play Sauraman again. Also it's always good to talk about how movies were made here. We still talk about how part Saving Private Ryan was done in Wexford.

Only problem is Saruman isn't in The Hobbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

ValJester wrote: »

He's referenced in the book, like when Gandalf has to leave the group, he meets Saruman, Galadriel and a council to talk about the Necromancer(Sauron), Saruman is the leader of the council. They'll proberly have cutscenes of this like they did in LOTR when Gandalf went to meet Sarumon and was imprisoned by him. But I thought there was talk of bringing Christopher Lee into the filming anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 IrishGreenSheep

To be fair the film really belongs in New Zealand but it would be fantastic for it to be shot here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I didn't think there was enough room for another fantasy movie here, because they're still filming the Chronicles of Nama.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Mary Harney to play Smaug anyone? Playing a giant monster would be perfect for her.

Also Cowen and Bertie as the trolls.

And the local scumbags can play the goblins. They won't even need make-up.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

ValJester wrote: »

As far as I know, they are actually making two movies. One is The Hobbit, and the other takes place in between The Hobbit and LOTR. Saruman would probably feature in the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

It won't be filmed here, the landscape isn't "epic" enough being completely honest. Maybe the parts in the Shire could be carried off but that's about it.
    Aldebaran wrote: »
    As far as I know, they are actually making two movies. One is The Hobbit, and the other takes place in between The Hobbit and LOTR. Saruman would probably feature in the second.

The 2nd film is a non runner. It has no book to be based on with no storyline to follow etc Definately not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Damn! Wish i was still in the FCA, I'm sure theyl be called into active service again to provide extras for the movie like they did in braveheart and private ryan.

They better not.. that's blasphemy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

The 2nd film is a non runner. It has no book to be based on with no storyline to follow etc Definately not happening.

It's apparently based on the appendices to LOTR which document the period in between The Hobbit and LOTR.

There's definitely two films being made anyway, and I don't see how they're going to stretch out The Hobbit over two feature-length movies.

It's apparently based on the appendices to LOTR which document the period in between The Hobbit and LOTR.

There's definitely two films being made anyway, and I don't see how they're going to stretch out The Hobbit over two feature-length movies.

I was thinking maybe something from Unfinished tales etc alright but not enough to make a whole movie out of it surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭davepatr07

Here's some interesting articles from the real Middle Earth:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10683054

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/4275149/Hobbits-makers-want-more-money

They held demonstrations here in Wellington last week to stop the film from going overseas. The Hobbiton set in Matamata is all built and ready (see pic..sheep inc!) :D

Richard Taylor the Weta Workshop owner says all the resources for the film are here why bother moving it away. True

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Hmm, don't think it'd make that good a film to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I think there will be a lot on the wizards ousting Sauron from his stronghold in Mirkwood and he flees to Mordor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement