Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hobbit may be filmed in Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Both films will be The Hobbit. While the book would make one film, they're fleshing out some of the back-story with elements taken from other Middle Earth sources. Who knows what this will end up like. Could end up as too bloated and dull or else Jackson knows exactly what he's doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Both films will be The Hobbit. While the book would make one film, they're fleshing out some of the back-story with elements taken from other Middle Earth sources. Who knows what this will end up like. Could end up as too bloated and dull or else Jackson knows exactly what he's doing.

Jackson is back on the scene is he? I thought it was Del Toro... well then that "could" work. Fingers crossed it doesn't turn into a big mess and make me loose all respect for him. It still just doesnt feel right.

Del Toro left the production a month or two ago. At the time, the production was in trouble over legal issues with MGM who owned the rights, and there were other things that jeopardized the production. So Del Toro left to do The Mountains of Madness. The only person left who could, nay, should take the director's seat was Peter Jackson. So he did. I trust Jackson to do the right thing by the production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Couldn't see a problem stretching two or even three films out of the Hobbit. As long as LOTR was it still only showed about ½ the book. Tolkien wrote a ton of stuff that could be included and I'm sure Smeagol will take up a good portion.
    I don't get the argument that the film belongs to NZ just because it looks nice,70% of the original was probably shot with blue screens anyway. I'm sure they could add a few thousand feet to the sugar loaf if needed.

Del Toro left the production a month or two ago. At the time, the production was in trouble over legal issues with MGM who owned the rights, and there were other things that jeopardized the production. So Del Toro left to do The Mountains of Madness. The only person left who could, nay, should take the director's seat was Peter Jackson. So he did. I trust Jackson to do the right thing by the production.

I ment the second part of the film thingy! Jackson would do an awesome job on The Hobbit itself etc. It would just be interesting to see how he gets on with mashing a few different stories together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

i thought the films were pretty crap.why more

cuppa wrote: »
    i thought the films were pretty crap.why more

Because there is more people in the world than just you. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hobbit films to remain in New Zealand
    After a row so protracted that it has made the Lord of the Rings trilogy look endearingly brief, the Prime Minister of New Zealand, John Key has announced that the movie of The Hobbit will, after all, be made in NZ.

Emerging from two days of crisis talks with Warner Bros executives at his official residence in Wellington, the capital, Mr Key said legislation would be brought in to resolve concerns about the country’s industrial laws which had threatened the $500 million project.

In return, Warner Bros. would use its marketing clout to promote New Zealand as a tourist destination, the Prime Minister said.

“It’s good to have the uncertainty over, and to have everyone now full steam ahead on this project,” he said.

A bitter dispute with the actors’ union NZ Equity over pay had left the project, already cracking under the strain of soaring costs, legal battles and the loss of the original director Guillermo del Toro hanging by a celluloid thread .

Peter Jackson, the director, had threatened to remove the film of J.R.R Tolkien’s prequel to the Lord of the Rings from his native NZ where he made the trilogy and which has since developed a thriving tourist industry based on the films.

Those films, which grossed almost $3 billion and swept the boards at the 2003 Oscars, created a modern film industry for New Zealand centred at Sir Peter’s ‘Weta’ film studios in Wellington, or ‘Wellywood’ as it is now known.

New Zealanders regard the movies as their own and over the weekend, thousands took to the streets to protest against The Hobbit moving offshore. Mr Key described the loss of the film as a potential “tragedy” for the country as other locations, including Watford were suggested for the shoot, which begins in February.

Today, Mr Key said Sir Peter, who is also the film’s executive producer would “be a very happy camper,” and added that it was “unacceptable” to the New Zealand public to have the film go offshore.

“I am delighted we have achieved this result,” Mr Key said.

As well as a change in industrial laws, Mr Key said the film would get a NZ$15 million tax rebate - $7.5 million per film for the two-film project, a sum which he had indicated had been achieved by a “fair bit of hardball being played on both sides.”

Meanwhile a furious Sir Peter claimed that the actors’ unions had already decided to blacklist the movie before it requested a meeting to discuss pay.

Releasing a letter from the International Federation of Actors dated before discussions began and warning that it had instructed its members not to act in the film Sir Peter said: “From the outset they had a gun to our head.”

wwwthetimescoukttoartsf.jpg

Not really that surprised. I'm sure the NZ government would have done all in it's power to keep the production in New Zealand. It's not the Irish government, after all!
    I ment the second part of the film thingy! Jackson would do an awesome job on The Hobbit itself etc. It would just be interesting to see how he gets on with mashing a few different stories together.
    Well considering the whole production will be shooting simultaneously, I think it'd be awkward to have two directors. It's a massive production, and Jackson knows how to handle it. Del Toro has never tackled something that big. While I'd liked to have see what he'd have done, I'm happy enough to let Jackson loose in Middle Earth again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

It was critical to New Zealands film industry to show alone that they could handle something of such a large scale again and that its wasn't a once off. That they hope will attract more interest from others.
    Obviously it will be a boost their new growing employment sector.

Well considering the whole production will be shooting simultaneously, I think it'd be awkward to have two directors. It's a massive production, and Jackson knows how to handle it. Del Toro has never tackled something that big. While I'd liked to have see what he'd have done, I'm happy enough to let Jackson loose in Middle Earth again.

Well I ment him or anyone in general really, I feel just a bit iffy about creating one long flowing story out of mini stories. I do love his work though so fingers crossed it turns out well! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Boo-urns :(
    It definitely is being filmed in New Zealand now:

Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

De Dannan wrote: »
    What age are you?
    Call me old fashioned but I prefer films with people in them
    wtf is a Hobbit anyway ??

What age am I? 27. Why? If you prefer fillums wit' peoples, then you are missing out on Toy Story, Lion King, Gremlins, Madagascar, Ice Age, Shrek etc.
    Bob Z wrote: »
    You hate them? then why watch them?

Em, how do you decide you don't like a film? By judging them before you know anything about them? Not I. I'll watch them, and then make a decision. And LOTR put me to sleep. All of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

All these references to NAMA, harney, the HSE, bertie and cowen in nearly every thread are tiresome and boring, Christ talk about something else FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

baraca wrote: »
    All these references to NAMA, harney, the HSE, bertie and cowen in nearly every thread are tiresome and boring, Christ talk about something else FFS.

Seanie Fitzpatrick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Em, how do you decide you don't like a film? By judging them before you know anything about them? Not I. I'll watch them, and then make a decision. And LOTR put me to sleep. All of them.

But if you didnt like 1 or 2 why keep watching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I thought the LOLR movies were a bit long winded, and many of the scenes completely overacted. When they weren't running, or saying good bye to someone, the rest of it I liked. More so on repeated watching. That said it looked great, and the music was great. I'd be interested in seeing the Hobbit.

Of course the Hobbit is more a kids story than the LOLR. I wonder how they'll pitch the Hobbit. It would be a pity if the kids can't watch it. They make too many kids stories, into movies for older kids/adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

...starts dwarf union, becomes their major backer and makes a killing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

What age am I? 27. Why? If you prefer fillums wit' peoples, then you are missing out on Toy Story, Lion King, Gremlins, Madagascar, Ice Age, Shrek etc.

Bob Z wrote: »
    But if you didnt like 1 or 2 why keep watching?

I guess you missed that bit.

Advertisement