Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bon Jovi - RDS Arena Dublin - June 29/30 -- No ticket advertising

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

28 songs, 2 encores nearly 3 hours. Can't ask for a better gig. More tomorrow. I'm wrecked now :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Few pics i took on my phone from the 1st night

259996_10150700190285521_777045520_19033899_2842613_n.jpg

262693_10150700190455521_777045520_19033901_725694_n.jpg

260324_10150700190940521_777045520_19033910_5453700_n.jpg

270430_10150700190010521_777045520_19033896_5014152_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

What a legend. Great performance, even though I was in the temporary stand at the back it was fúcking awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Few video clips from last nights gig (Thurs June 30th) in High Definition in case anyone is interested...

Cover of U2's Vertigo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZCJiuZmR5c

You Give Love A Bad Name

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km12z-Sxxyw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Was there last night and have to say it was the worst sound at a gig that I have ever heard and I'm 20 years going to gigs.
    Fair play to the band for playing such a long set.
    Missus is a huge fan and said it didnt compete with previous tours.
    I am not a fan so not gonna say much about the song choices etc.
    I think I counted 3 covers in the first hour?
    Thought they might have been better cutting it to 2 hours and playing their own stuff.
    Overall a good night though but RDS would want to sort out the sound...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

sham69 wrote: »
    Was there last night and have to say it was the worst sound at a gig that I have ever heard and I'm 20 years going to gigs.
    Thought they might have been better cutting it to 2 hours and playing their own stuff.

Where were you sitting/standing? I have to say I loved the gig last night and I'm not a fan. Came out on time played three hours and the covers were all spot on. So respectful of their fans, unlike so many artists.

Top show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Loved the gig last night, myself and my wife had a great time. The band were well up for it and I thought the sound was great where we were standing. I've seen them 4 times before this show and it is up there with them.

Great set list, loved the way they put vertigo in with the covers medley that they do at all their shows. Nice tribute to the fans with the show being in Ireland. Great video of that bonoman66

Here is the full set list:

Bounce
    Bad Name
    We weren't born to follow
    Lost highway
    Happy now
    In These Arms
    It's my life
    Blaze of Glory
    Damned
    Raise your hands
    Sleep When I'm Dead
    Bad Medicene With Start Me Up, Roadhouse Blues and VERTIGO!
    Make a Memory
    I'll be there for you
    Never Say Goodbye
    Squeezebox (Peter Townsend Cover)
    Love For Sale
    Who says you can't go home
    Saturday Night
    Blood on Blood
    Have a Nice Day
    Keep the faith
    Hey God
    Wanted Dead or Alive
    I love this town
    Livin on a Prayer
    Always
    Love's the only rule

28 songs, 3 hours. Was delighted to hear Hey God, Damned and Love for Sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

2 hours or 3 hours (with a couple of covers)?
    I know which i...and many others would prefer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING night!!! My first Bon Jovi concert and it hopefully won't be my last!! Jon's voice is still as amazing as ever and Richie was amazing!!! They really worked the crowd! I was actually overwhelmed at how good his voice still is - I thought with him pushing 50 it wouldn't be as good but boy was I wrong!! Incredible night - what value for money - 3 hrs FFS!!! Brilliant! I am a happy bunny :-)

And they did dead or alive - didn't think they we're going to so was delighted! Bit disappointed they didn't do Bed of Roses though! But that's just a minor quibble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tom Fiat

where do Bon Jovi recruit these fans from?
    it amazes me, truly it does

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tom Fiat

CiaranK wrote: »
    28 songs, 2 encores nearly 3 hours. Can't ask for a better gig. More tomorrow. I'm wrecked now :D

oh the pain, just thinking about it..

I must have been at a different gig.
    All the people in the seats were motionless.
    On the pitch a few people dancing but mostly chatting.
    No atmosphere whatsoever.
    In fairness the band didnt play bad and he can still sing very well but amazing?
    I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Glad you enjoyed it Ciaran though I have to say even though the setlist was longer last night I preferred our one from Wednesday. Good to see them mixing it up though which would have been perfect for those at both nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

In fairness the band didnt play bad and he can still sing very well but amazing?
    I don't think so.

All these stadium gigs have this problem in the seated areas. A strange trance like state seems to wash over the crowd. I was on the pitch last night and it was too packed tbh for anyone to move much but the atmosphere was good. U2 360 was like being in a mammoth wax museum.

Looking forward to Roger Daltrey in Marley Park in a couple of weeks. The Who always draw a really enthusiastic crowd. Their 2007 gig there was once of the greatest I've ever been to.

I am not bashing the band, I just thought the sound ruined what could have been a good show even for a non fan.
    I am a guitar fan so was kind of looking forward to hearing richie but because of the sounde I couldnt hear the solo's
    Again not the bands fault, RDS is terrible , I wouldnt go to another gig there.
    I am glad the die hard fans enjoyed it.
    My missus as I said is a huge fan and has seen every gig in Ireland since around 88 and didnt enjoy last night either.
    Left around 10:30, gutted.

WOW that is a hell of an impressive zoom! Great video, thanks for sharing :) Had wondered what the view was from the back :D Listening to this I don't get what the so called problems with sound back there were :confused:

I am not bashing the band, I just thought the sound ruined what could have been a good show even for a non fan.
    I am a guitar fan so was kind of looking forward to hearing richie but because of the sounde I couldnt hear the solo's
    Again not the bands fault, RDS is terrible , I wouldnt go to another gig there.
    I am glad the die hard fans enjoyed it.
    My missus as I said is a huge fan and has seen every gig in Ireland since around 88 and didnt enjoy last night either.
    Left around 10:30, gutted.

That is a shame about your missus not enjoying it. Position at an outdoor gig really dictates how much it can be enjoyed. I remember that even though I was relatively close to the stage at Punchestown there was a huge dip which we couldn't get out of and we could see nothing and while Bon Jovi were brilliant as always it rates as my least favourite of their gigs. So so happy I joined their fanclub and was able to get such a brilliant position Wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I used to work at a lot of concerts and found Bon Jovi to be the best , so I brought my son last night.

Absolutly brilliant, to top it off my son got a High Five from Jon and his guitar pick.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I used to work at a lot of concerts and found Bon Jovi to be the best , so I brought my son last night.

Absolutly brilliant, to top it off my son got a High Five from Jon and his guitar pick.

Nice one :D I had to feel sorry for the security guys as next on their list is The Script which are ok, not a patch on Bon Jovi of course but then they have Glee. I'd quit before I'd have to listen to that for 2 hours :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

Mentioning the covers reminds me, I was at the Wednesday show and I swear, did the crowd not KNOW the songs Gloria and Not Fade Away? NOBODY near me was singing along and I got all excited cos I love those two songs. Thought they were good covers too.

I had an absolute blast at the gig last night. They really rocked! :) The setlist was fantastic. A few songs I didn't think I'd get to hear and did. The view from the back looks much further away in the video than it was, I think it's becuase the lense is a widescreen. The view was perfect from where we were. I could see everything. I was up an dancing for loads of it. The covers were great. Squeeze Box was brilliant, I love the Who. I was singing along for nearly all the songs. The crows were really good up in the back stands too. There was a very slight delay between the sound and the screen but it wasn't the noticeable at all. The sound was getting louder and then a bit quieter at some times during the night but it was because the speakers were swaying when there was wing blowing and the turned a little bit so the direction the sound was going was changing. That was the conclusion I came to anyway. All in all I had a great night, watching a band who were on fire!!! :D Happy Days!!

musicmania wrote: »
    That is a shame about your missus not enjoying it. Position at an outdoor gig really dictates how much it can be enjoyed. I remember that even though I was relatively close to the stage at Punchestown there was a huge dip which we couldn't get out of and we could see nothing and while Bon Jovi were brilliant as always it rates as my least favourite of their gigs. So so happy I joined their fanclub and was able to get such a brilliant position Wednesday night.

yeah I think that's why the missus didnt enjoy it so much.
    She said it paled in comparison to any of the other 10 or so that she has been at.

As for me they are not my cuppa tea so I knew I wasnt going to enjoy it.
    I have prince to look forward to next month and heard today that rammstein are playing in February...

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Few video clips from last nights gig (Thurs June 30th) in High Definition in case anyone is interested...

Cover of U2's Vertigo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZCJiuZmR5c

You Give Love A Bad Name

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km12z-Sxxyw

...& Wanted Dead or Alive (again in High Def) from Wed 29th June in RDS....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSpHixoaVcc

I have prince to look forward to next month and heard today that rammstein are playing in February...

Hope Prince turns up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I don't think so.

I agree. I went up with 3 mates, we're all 19/20. I couldn't get over how boring the crowd were - half of them looked like they didn't even want to be there!
    We were singing along, dancing, having a great time... but the atmosphere at the gig was really disappointing.

Really, it ruined the gig overall because apart from that the band were really great, they covered a lot from their catalogue and the covers were much better than I thought they'd be. You'd have thought people were at a tribute band or something and they only livened even a little bit at Livin' On a Prayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

roadmaster wrote: »
    i have seen every gig since the mid 90's and always taught they where brill, we where standing around the speakers in the middle of the pitch last nite but i taught last night was slightly ruined because where we where standing you couldnt hear the guitars at all hardly it wasnt untill the encore that we could finally here richies solos, did any one else have a problem with the sound?

The sound was absolutely terrible.
    I was in block C on the Anglesea stand (concrete stand).
    The roof sloped down to block out the top of the main stages speakers.
    And the speakers in the middle of the pitch were about 0.5 seconds out of synch, so I heard a horrific echo.
    At times it sounded like two bands playing over each other.

The only good bit was when the crowd sang "Wanted Dead or Alive", as it didn't need speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 McCann_Man

WOW so just woke up
    Came down a 4 hour bus ride just to see the guys,
    Waited in que from 3pm and ended up being at the very front of the pitch standing seats !
    I have to say that I wasn't a huge bon jovi fan but last night changed it all
    I disagree with the atmosphere from where I was I could see everyone in the gold circle having a real great time and the majority of people behind me singing along to even their less known songs.
    I have to say the travel and wait was well worth it just to sit with my friend singing with a pile of random people we didnt know.
    Great set list to please the die hards and the fans who only really know the real big hits,
    highlight of the night for me was when they played "I love this town"
    Energy was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭novemberskye

went to see bon jovi wednesday night and had a great time but i was very disappointed with the energy of the crowd. have been to so many other gigs mostly rock like the foo's, chilli's, kol, metallica etc etc but this was my first bon jovi so i don't know if he fans are always this way. Right from the very start before the concert and songs were being played on the speakers and no one was interested just standing round. I thought it took the crowd so long to liven up a bit. maybe its just a younger age group at gigs i have been too before but every one around me were just standing there occassionally putting their hands up as if they were being complete rebels.i felt like a mad yoke singing along and roaring and i wasn't even drunk ha!

anyways apart from the dead crowd i enjoyed myself with my friends bon jovi is a legend in my eyes to stay playing for 3 hours without stopping even with a headcold and injured leg. i would def go see him again :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭novemberskye

wayhey wrote: »
    I agree. I went up with 3 mates, we're all 19/20. I couldn't get over how boring the crowd were - half of them looked like they didn't even want to be there!
    We were singing along, dancing, having a great time... but the atmosphere at the gig was really disappointing.

Really, it ruined the gig overall because apart from that the band were really great, they covered a lot from their catalogue and the covers were much better than I thought they'd be. You'd have thought people were at a tribute band or something and they only livened even a little bit at Livin' On a Prayer.

i totally agree!!

Advertisement