Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bon Jovi - RDS Arena Dublin - June 29/30 -- No ticket advertising

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

It is interesting how people perceive the crowd from different vantage points and I'm guessing the reason I had no such issues was because in my location I was surrounded by fellow fanclub members who were all dancing and singing along. However everynow and again I would look around to see the reaction at the back and people looked like they were having fun. I was actually thinking walking down the street after and seeing a few idiots then that at the actual concert it was the first time in ages I had seen no drunken fools at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,435 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How come at every gig you get a big ****er behind you singing way too loud and with a terrible terrible singing voice. ??

Had one a wednesday gig all my good videos i can barly hear jon singing only that fool shouting his head off.

Anyway it was still a good gig and will always remember it.

One song that im dissapointed they didnt do was Runaway but they done a favourite of mine These Days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How come at every gig you get a big ****er behind you singing way too loud and with a terrible terrible singing voice. ??

Had one a wednesday gig all my good videos i can barly hear jon singing only that fool shouting his head off.

And there was me thinking people went to the gig to enjoy it, and sing along if they wished, must be mistaken though as all ya wanted to do was video a gig and watch it through a small screen :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The big fcuker probably had the time of his life, and fair play to him

Yeah either a f****r who sings too loud or a tall one in front blocking the view. Thankfully Wednesday night I'd neither to contend with ;)
    I could list off at least 10 other songs I'd have loved to have heard but it was a good setlist so I'm not complaining.
    Just after finding this video of Bed of Roses. Best I've seen so far!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDY6uRIt2aI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Took some Video :D Bit shakey though :(
    too many pics to list :p

It My Life

Vertigo

Keep The Faith

& for some reason I thought turn the camera 90 degrees in middle of gettin Livin on a Prayer :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Nice one Berns. Put the photos on FB or Flickr for better privacy if you prefer and link them here like I did.:)

Saw photos taken with an SLR from one of the UK shows and was inwardly pleased my compact camera did a better job :D So the moral of the story is forget SLR's which may be taken off you and get a good quality compact instead ;)

GF prity particular about her pics :rolleyes: Shoulda maybe seperated them in albums on FB :p

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hojphotography

Well it must have been where i was standing, on Wednesday, (beside the speakers in the middle of the pitch) but in 20 years of going to gigs both indoor and outdoor it was the worst sound ive ever come accross. Most of the gig all i could hear was the drums with the odd guitar or vocals coming in and out. They sounded like they were coming from miles away. Extremely dissapointing :(

Pics

Switched some round so got ones of us in other album :cool:

Berns wrote: »
    Pics

Switched some round so got ones of us in other album :cool:

Thanks for sharing. Love the ones of the audience. I normally take a few of those but was too busy staring at Jon Bon Jovi ;) It must have been very warm last night as no way would anyone have had short sleeves Wednesday!!!

Pics 119, 126 and 179 are my favourites! To those who think there was no atmosphere check these photos!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

may as well throw my opinion in - went wednesday night

had diamond ticket/pack which i collected early - no bother, got to gate 'sorry pal you're not getting in without a wristnband' so had a go at the staff here, nothing doing, this was 7.50 so ran all around to front, bouncer on gate didnt want to let me in so i went on a full scale rant, got in and to be fair to the staff inside they handed the band over ok - ffs is this, me/ the rds? the bacstage jbj staff? anyway the band didnt come on straight at 8 - wanked straight into the pit - 4 /5 rows back - happy days - then 4/5 quite large germans/spanish got into a row with each other - unbelievable the gig hadnt started - i always stand next to these idiots - did anyone else see them??

the gig was great - good setlist - nearly 3 hours - they tightened the sound up after a few songs, but wasnt loud enough imo - it really has become the Jon show though - and to be honest i'm fine with it coz he pulls it off well - and while Richie looked quite healthy - he seemed a bit distant/lonely for the second half of the show - the rest of the band unfortunately have just faded into the background these days

all the crowd around me were well into it singing and bouncing along, while it wasnt near any of the best shows they have done i ireland i prob havent jumped and sang along as much at any bj gig as this one - glad i paid the extra to see the whites of the band eyes as it were, well worth the money - mostly happy with the length of the gig and songs played - highlight 'these days'

and heres a few vids i made earlier

blaze of glory - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWOO-pmM1CA

dry county - richies best guitar solo on any song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9u3gkqRZT4

keep the faith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoMWftHmJts

wanted - solo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqiR5KWO5sM

when we were beautiful intro - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6VuO4oFtJY

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

These Dublin shows were my 13th & 14th Jovi shows and the best I have ever been to.

I was GC on the 29th and got second row. Delighted when Richie came out onto the catwalk as he was right in front of me. Never been so close to him and it totally made my night. Loved the setlist. Had heard all the songs before but it was a fantastic night. Loved hearing These Days again.

I was DC on the 30th. No idea why people were front row in DC, their necks must be broken from looking up. We were about 7 rows back and had perfect view. Setlist for the 30th was brilliant. Never had heard Damned, Hey God, Make A Memory and Never Say Goodbye before. Never Say Goodbye was def the highlight.

Both nights were amazing. The band totally rocked. Didn't notice any sound problems. And I didn't notice the crowd around me. I don't get why the crowd around you makes a difference? I was there to enjoy the night and enjoy Jovi. Don't really care about others to be honest!!!!!

Glad you had a good time Irishshin and that I am not the only one who thinks these shows were their best! Kinda raging I didn't go Thursday now but will always have great memories of Wednesday.

Here is a video I have made of Bed of Roses with my photos. I have used the audio from the original off Keep the Faith as I wasn't too keen on any of the video's uploaded from Wednesday night as too much chatter going on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqY7UApxgF4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭bren2001

Went to the gig only knowing 3 Bon Jovi songs, I didnt have time to listen to them as I got the ticket for free 2 hours before it started.. I thought Its my Life was poor but Livin on a Prayer and Always were excellent and Vertigo was a nice surprise. I thought the night was alright, if Livin on a Prayer had not been as good I would have left annoyed. I thought he was vocally very good and his crowd interaction was excellent BUT I would not go back to see them. I felt he did not put on a show, all he did was play his songs, talk to the crowd and leave. That was my 4th gig in two weeks so I expected a lot as each of them were excellent but there was no fireworks, no confetti or no fire. I think that for 90e, the small things like that can make a gig brilliant for the people who dont know the tracks.

I am glad I have seen Bon Jovi and I am sure he was brilliant for the people who know the tracks. I think if it had not been my 4th gig in two weeks I would have been less sharp. None the less, that is my two cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TOPDAWG2.0

I went on weds night with my girlfriend, xmas pres for her. I know a few songs, who hasnt jumped around a dancefloor to Living on a Prayer at some stage in their life, but im far from being a big fan. Was hopin to be won over by them and even the girlfriend said i would be. But won over i was not.

There was nothing to say they were spectacular or amazing, this was a band who came out and did a by the numbers performance. They played their songs and went home.

Now fair play to him for carrying on the tour with an injury that would have any premiership footballer crying for months but this was far from a rock show. As i looked around at a predominantly female audience and listened to him sing about how much he loved someone,was going to love them until he died, love this, love that etc etc, no fireworks, guitar solo's, drum solo's i formed my opinion that Bon Jovi are just a boyband trying to be a rock band.
    Thats my tuppence worth, i know fans of the band wont like that but i think a hardcore fan will always say a band is brilliant even when they do have a bad day at the office.
    I will say again though he deserves much respect for carrying on the tour and not letting so many people down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anyone else notice the virtual fireworks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

bren2001 wrote: »
    Went to the gig only knowing 3 Bon Jovi songs, I didnt have time to listen to them as I got the ticket for free 2 hours before it started.. I thought Its my Life was poor but Livin on a Prayer and Always were excellent and Vertigo was a nice surprise. I thought the night was alright, if Livin on a Prayer had not been as good I would have left annoyed. I thought he was vocally very good and his crowd interaction was excellent BUT I would not go back to see them. I felt he did not put on a show, all he did was play his songs, talk to the crowd and leave. That was my 4th gig in two weeks so I expected a lot as each of them were excellent but there was no fireworks, no confetti or no fire. I think that for 90e, the small things like that can make a gig brilliant for the people who dont know the tracks.

I am glad I have seen Bon Jovi and I am sure he was brilliant for the people who know the tracks. I think if it had not been my 4th gig in two weeks I would have been less sharp. None the less, that is my two cent.

Some people are just never happy.. so there was good vocals and crowd interaction, he played good music but had no fireworks so it wasnt a good show??? Bull****!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

TOPDAWG2.0 wrote: »
    Bon Jovi are just a boyband trying to be a rock band. I will say again though he deserves much respect for carrying on the tour and not letting so many people down.

Although I really enjoyed the gig on Thursday (and kudos to them for not doing the "cool dude" thing striding on mega late) IMHO their songs *whispers* really aren't very good.

Bon Jovi are to rock what Madonna is to electro house; a sanitised, watered down, derivative model of the genuine article. Was disappointed at the lack of solos from Sambora.

Having said that, they can hold a crowd well and gave them their money's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

evillive wrote: »
    may as well throw my opinion in - went wednesday night

had diamond ticket/pack which i collected early - no bother, got to gate 'sorry pal you're not getting in without a wristnband' so had a go at the staff here, nothing doing, this was 7.50 so ran all around to front, bouncer on gate didnt want to let me in so i went on a full scale rant, got in and to be fair to the staff inside they handed the band over ok - ffs is this, me/ the rds? the bacstage jbj staff? anyway the band didnt come on straight at 8 - wanked straight into the pit - 4 /5 rows back - happy days - then 4/5 quite large germans/spanish got into a row with each other - unbelievable the gig hadnt started - i always stand next to these idiots - did anyone else see them??

the gig was great - good setlist - nearly 3 hours - they tightened the sound up after a few songs, but wasnt loud enough imo - it really has become the Jon show though - and to be honest i'm fine with it coz he pulls it off well - and while Richie looked quite healthy - he seemed a bit distant/lonely for the second half of the show - the rest of the band unfortunately have just faded into the background these days

all the crowd around me were well into it singing and bouncing along, while it wasnt near any of the best shows they have done i ireland i prob havent jumped and sang along as much at any bj gig as this one - glad i paid the extra to see the whites of the band eyes as it were, well worth the money - mostly happy with the length of the gig and songs played - highlight 'these days'

and heres a few vids i made earlier

blaze of glory - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWOO-pmM1CA

dry county - richies best guitar solo on any song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9u3gkqRZT4

keep the faith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoMWftHmJts

wanted - solo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqiR5KWO5sM

when we were beautiful intro - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6VuO4oFtJY

you sick sick man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭roadmaster

just in realtion to the sound issue as i and other people have mentioned, i stood in the same spot for vintage trouble and you could hear them perfect esp the guitars, can any one tell me what went wrong with the sound when bon jovi came on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

the sound issue was obviously just in certain areas, where I was was unbelievable.
    You wouldnt know there was a guitarist there to be honest.
    I am not going to go on about this gig any more, no more RDS for me.
    As for Bon Jovi, wouldnt be impressed, I reckon that will be their last tour, no chemistry on stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,435 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

no way will that be Bon Jovi's Last year. If the Rolling Stones can keep going than Bon Jovi each in there late 40's/50's can keep touring for least another 8-10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Bon Jovi - 1985 to 1999 RIP. Today as has been mentioned above, no chemistry, no fire or hunger, nothing but 'new directions'. I still maintain These Days is one of my top 5 albums of all time though. Bon Jovi can rock, they just don't want to...which is sad.

i dont think it will be there last tour, i seen them in london the week before and in aus last xmass when i was still out there and they had plenty of chemistry, the fact that they have being on the road for the last two years is probably gettin to them and also richie is in trouble again, they will take a couple years break now and be back big as ever, for a band that is pass it they seem to be doin well considering they where the biggest touring act in 2008 2010 and prob this year according to billboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

roadmaster wrote: »
    i dont think it will be there last tour, i seen them in london the week before and in aus last xmass when i was still out there and they had plenty of chemistry, the fact that they have being on the road for the last two years is probably gettin to them and also richie is in trouble again, they will take a couple years break now and be back big as ever, for a band that is pass it they seem to be doin well considering they where the biggest touring act in 2008 2010 and prob this year according to billboard.

I think their best days are behind them. I really can't see songs like Keep The Faith, Dry County (for the Sambora fans), Always (overplayed but in itself a great song), Wanted Dead Or Alive (Young Guns :cool:), Bad Medicine, Something For The Pain, These Days, My Guitar Lies Bleeding..., Something To Believe In etc etc being rivaled by any of the newer stuff. All the past stuff had hunger & life in it, for me personally, the newer stuff just sounds dead and lifeless. Sambora can play, & play with the best of them..why isn't he utilised more? Where's the rock element gone?

The recent country vibe to them is dreadful, & it all started with This Left Feels Right, when they reworked older stuff with new twists on them. If the next album is more of that, they're seriously running the risk of running the bands legacy into the ground. Either blow your fans away, or pack it in...don't become a mediocre dead horse being flogged. I say all that as a Bon Jovi fan, admittedly of everything prior to 2000

i agree these days was prob there best album, but i taught there last few cds where very good with songs like Novocaine ,Unbreakable ,we got it goin on and superman tonight to mention. if the sound had bein sorted out on wed nite and richie done lay your hands on me like he does at other gigs it would being better. in sayin that iam major fan and was slightly disapointed yet the group that went with me to see them for the first time taught it was the best show they ever seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

OutlawPete wrote: »

Finally!!! I've been waiting very impatiently for these photos. They sure take their time updating their photos :)

Gotta wait for 2nd night now :D Not many of the crowd there :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Proper photos of the gig here

Advertisement