Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Traveller In Charlie Chaplin Film?

• 26-10-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭

Couldn't find anywhere else relevant to post this, so here will do...

Skip to about 2:40 and watch from there onwards and see what you think. Remember, the film was released in 1928.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

interesting enough.

But IF it was a phone, you can see the person talking as if they were in a conversation.
    so a few points:
    1. Would every person on the set of the movie not want to know what it was?
    and
    2. Obviously in 1928 there was no phones, so there would be no phone signals so who could they possibly be talking to?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

CMpunked wrote: »
    interesting enough.

But IF it was a phone, you can see the person talking as if they were in a conversation.
    so a few points:
    1. Would every person on the set of the movie not want to know what it was?
    and
    2. Obviously in 1928 there was no phones, so there would be no phone signals so who could they possibly be talking to?
    Clearly, it is a Timephone with Temporal Roaming.

Jeez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

It's a man in drag and he has his hand up to cover his face in an attempt to save himself embarrassment.

:/

for being in drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Tranny covering his/her face from the camera or more plausibly its a timid time travelling transvestite.

If someone was indeed possessed of the technology to travel through time, would he not have the cop on to not walk onto a film set talking on a mobile? Note, I haven't listened to the audio.

Looks interesting alright, but to attribute it to time travelling is absurd. For all we know he got a smack on the side of the face and he's holding his ear saying out loud, "Jaysus my ear is sore".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

People used to walk around with hand-held radios to listen to news broadcasts.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

A tranny listening to his tranny?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ziycon wrote: »
    People used to walk around with hand-held radios to listen to news broadcasts.;)
    in 1928 Tho :eek:

Radios were still vavle operated jobbies at that stage, hell even the bateries required for something like that would have been bigger than the 'phone'

beethoven-boombox-tshirt_design.jpg

in 1928 Tho :eek:

Radios were still vavle operated jobbies at that stage, hell even the bateries required for something like that would have been bigger than the 'phone'

beethoven-boombox-tshirt_design.jpg
    I know, was trying to see how long it would take someone to cop on, in all honesty I don't know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

the problem with time travel is that we would know about it from all the people,ya know,traveling back in time and telling us about it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

No we wouldnt tho

See if I ran the Timetravel Holiday Company (tm) I'd monitor any fluctuations that ocured when my Clients went to the past, so if for example everything was normal in the morning and all of a sudden in the afternoon the Roman empire is still kickin around rulin stuff I figure that one of my clients has inadvertantly spoken to someone in ancient rome and reset the course of History, So naturally I would go back to five minutes before the Scheduled trip to rome and Extricate that person from the tour, Simples really.

Course that still dosent explain how they let this one slide, unl;ess it actually is me runnin the TtHC, in which case you can put it down to my twisted and perverse sense of humor:D

Just you wait til ya see the things I Sneak into the WTC on the 10th of September ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

I think it may be a hearing aid of that era, similar to this

http://www.hearingaidmuseum.com/gallery/Carbon/WesternElectric/info/westelect34a.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Nice one Phill! :)

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

No we wouldnt tho

See if I ran the Timetravel Holiday Company (tm) I'd monitor any fluctuations that ocured when my Clients went to the past, so if for example everything was normal in the morning and all of a sudden in the afternoon the Roman empire is still kickin around rulin stuff I figure that one of my clients has inadvertantly spoken to someone in ancient rome and reset the course of History, So naturally I would go back to five minutes before the Scheduled trip to rome and Extricate that person from the tour, Simples really.

Course that still dosent explain how they let this one slide, unl;ess it actually is me runnin the TtHC, in which case you can put it down to my twisted and perverse sense of humor:D

Just you wait til ya see the things I Sneak into the WTC on the 10th of September ;)
    But if you went back and stopped yourself from allowing someone from going back in the future your affecting your own past. Its a domino affect, you can never win. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Ziycon wrote: »
    But if you went back and stopped yourself from allowing someone from going back in the future your affecting your own past. Its a domino affect, you can never win. :D

Also since history had been altered you would have grown up in whatever world the changed caused, you wouldn't know if there was a change.

chinese lantern

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I can't believe this is even getting press coverage! It clearly isn't a time traveller, at best its a crazy old woman talking to herself with her hand up to her ear!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Wonder why this is only making the news now if thats the case. Would these Charlie Chaplin films have being watched to the nth degree by this stage. I think there are probably many more logical explanations than a mobile phone, we don't actually see any device.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

for the love of f&ck its just some ol'one scratching her ear

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wonder why this is only making the news now if thats the case. Would these Charlie Chaplin films have being watched to the nth degree by this stage. I think there are probably many more logical explanations than a mobile phone, we don't actually see any device.

It's from one of the DVD extras, not the movie

fryup wrote: »
    for the love of f&ck its just some ol'one scratching her ear

its also a bit of fun ...keep your pants on for the love of fuck

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Its not actually an old woman ... its a cardboard cutout of Ted Danson. Look closely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Very obviously this IS a time traveller. This is the very reason the TEC was set up.

This film existed before & nobody noticed it until now because the traveller has only just gone back in time, so has only just appeared in the film. Future history changed, therefore past history has changed.

We need Van Damme. Stat.

timecop.jpg

(Great movie BTW, just watched it last week)