Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No BB, No Midband.....best options....Dial-Up??

• 26-10-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Where I live, rural Cavan, there is no Broadband service in my area. I just picked up & returned a Vodafone mobile BB stick, as the reception was horrendous . I've also tried out my friend's O2 BB stick, also horrendous. I know I can try the "3" network, but I don't hold out much hope.

Are my only options Dial-Up @ this stage?? And if so, what is the best deal out there? My Landline is with Perlico if that makes a difference.

Ta V.Much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

leftfooter wrote: »
    Where I live, rural Cavan, there is no Broadband service in my area. I just picked up & returned a Vodafone mobile BB stick, as the reception was horrendous . I've also tried out my friend's O2 BB stick, also horrendous. I know I can try the "3" network, but I don't hold out much hope.

Are my only options Dial-Up @ this stage?? And if so, what is the best deal out there? My Landline is with Perlico if that makes a difference.

Ta V.Much!

Give the 3 "broadband" a go its sure as hell better than dial up even if its slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Gooch2k4 wrote: »
    Give the 3 "broadband" a go its sure as hell better than dial up even if its slow

3 mobile midband is dialup...
    Can be better than telephone based dialup with a bit of luck and whatever you do don't tell your friends if you have a reasonable connection.

There's always satellite available...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Have a look at this map to see if you can find any 3G cell site near you. It may be possible to set up a router in a window pointing towards the cell site and get 3G coverage there and then share it out to the rest of the house using WiFi.

If you are in a NGB area then you can get 3 to install a repeater in your house which will improve reception, or subsidized satellite (though neither of those would really be my first choice tbh). If you are outside the NGB catchment area and your 3G reception is borderline you may be able to do something about it using external antennas, though it does require a little bit of know how.

bealtine wrote: »
    3 mobile midband is dialup...
    Can be better than telephone based dialup with a bit of luck and whatever you do don't tell your friends if you have a reasonable connection.

There's always satellite available...

Unless your in a mercilessly heavily congested area (in terms of subscribers) its gonna be better than dial up

Gooch2k4 wrote: »
    Unless your in a mercilessly heavily congested area (in terms of subscribers) its gonna be better than dial up

Like anywhere...

I've seen lots of people buy midband solutions and tell their friends all about it then they can no longer use the service as 20 people can overload a cell site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

leftfooter wrote: »
    I know I can try the "3" network, but I don't hold out much hope.

A good bit of cavan already has 3 3G coverage and there's also a good bit with NBS coverage. Seen as you have no coverage from landline or other mobile bb, there's a good chance your under the National broadband scheme or already have coverage, give them a try.

My parents have been using it for 3 years or so and its been pretty solid (few outages etc but nothing major) suits them down to the ground.

I know its no replacement for proper broadband (im well aware of that i worked in a shop that sold them for three years) , but really nether is Satellite BB (too expensive to be practical)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

bealtine wrote: »
    Like anywhere...

I've seen lots of people buy midband solutions and tell their friends all about it then they can no longer use the service as 20 people can overload a cell site.

FIVE people can.

watty wrote: »
    FIVE people can.

Ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Would you consider 2-way satellite broadband?
    Better than dial-up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

net1 cover a lot of Cavan, very good service

http://www.net1.ie/coveragemap.html

Advertisement