Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zig and Zag 2fm

• 26-10-2010 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Zig and Zag return to the airwaves on Saturday mornings from 10-12 with their new show 'Smells like Saturday', taking over from tommy and hector.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Thats mad!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Omg, that is great news! Was sick of tommy and hector, and missing the den of my childhood :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

www.rte.ie/2fm
    From 30 October, Ireland's favourite aliens Zig and Zag will be taking over the airwaves on RTÉ 2fm from 10am -12midday every Saturday morning.

Broadcasting from Studio Z (which just happens to be Zig and Zag's old spaceship The Zogmobile!) in radio centers Area 51 (aka. underground carpark) it means that the Z brothers can travel all over the globe and beyond whilst presenting their new show!

The super furry DJs will be kick-starting your weekend with a mix of zany alien antics, music you love, celebrity chat, showbiz gossip, random facts and ridiculous quizzes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Zig and Zag return to the airwaves on Saturday mornings from 10-12 with their new show 'Smells like Saturday',

At last some serious competition for Marian Finucane on Radio One.. ;) Have to agree with Rockery Girl, it IS mad... I can imagine when I wake up and hear them I'll probably put on my school uniform and take the bike out of the shed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Awesome!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Deadly, hope they podcast it. Could be popular amongst the Irish all over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

From one pair of muppets to another...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Seriously, where will the stupidity end in Rte? Another nail in the coffin of 2fm. Ohara and co have been allowed beat this formula to death on tv with Podge and Rodge. Now they've gone to radio. What next, Dobbo plays The Beatles or Anne Doyle gets a rave show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Btr wrote: »
    Seriously, where will the stupidity end in Rte? Another nail in the coffin of 2fm. Ohara and co have been allowed beat this formula to death on tv with Podge and Rodge. Now they've gone to radio. What next, Dobbo plays The Beatles or Anne Doyle gets a rave show?

Zig and Zag are a lot funnier than Podge & Rodge. The P&R characters relied soley on mickey jokes which is just tedious. I'll definitely tune in to see what it's like - The Den with Zig & Zag was comedy gold.

I wonder if ciaran and mick will do the show dressed as zig and zag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Btr wrote: »
    ... or Anne Doyle gets a rave show?

Jesus, I'd tune in to that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

How pissed off would they be if they were told that the show must be streamed live by webcast as well as on radio .. "alright, back under the desks lads.. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

who, Zig & Zag are real :confused:

who, Zig & Zag are real :confused:

Sorry for ruining it for you but they're not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Yeah right and Namabillion isn't your real name either:rolleyes:

Obviously...

That's what they want you to believe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

OH YES THEY ARE REAL, its the ones who are running the country into the ground that are the muppets

Just as yours isin't elvis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Zig and Zag return to the airwaves on Saturday mornings.......

I thought they were dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Give Dustin a show he'd be much better. Zig & Zag are so dated now.

What should be their first song? ;)

Suggestion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The Podge and Rodge work must have dried up.

My vote for their first song:

They're going to have a game called 'Spot the Sausage'... :rolleyes: bound to be great...

http://2fm.rte.ie/pages/zz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Think I'm the only one here that will be listening...

Then again I'm almost 18 so would have grown up with these guys to an extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Listened to the show and its the best thing ive heard on 2fm in a long time,brought back a few memories hearing their voices again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Zig and Zag were huge during the recession of the 80's and early 90's...

Podge and Rodge captured the wit and cockiness of the boom years.

Zig and Zag are back....

We will have to wait for the next boom for Podge and Rodge to be cool again:D

Too much music, not enough dialogue between the Zogly brothers was my reaction. If I want music I can listen to my iPod, when they get going Zig and Zag are hilarious. It was a good 45mins into the show before I cracked a smile. I doubt there was even enough material for a podcast.

It has great potential though, I'll be listening again.

• Advertisement

Listening to it now on the listen-back service and liking it so far... definite potential and seems to have been a good move by RTÉ.

[edit]: sounded like a pre-record this week - hopefully it'll be live from next week on.

[edit 2]: they played CONVOY... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 itchy_sack

SDTimeout wrote: »

Considering they left the Den in 1994. Im sure you have had great memories of them as a one year old :D

I dont think this show will work but I might catch it sometime. Its a bad move by 2FM. Im sure they could have thought of a better pair. Dont forget Zig and Zag sold out Ireland to channel 4. The judas muppets. Back around now trying to milk more money from a rather limited creation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Dreadful dreadful rubbish. Anyone who think this is good radio for a station that markets itslef as being for 25 - 40 year olds needs to find out what good radio is all about.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GotBainne?

Listened to the show on Saturday and loved it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

shockwave wrote: »
    Give Dustin a show he'd be much better. Zig & Zag are so dated now.

Dustin is about as funny as a bucket of shít.

Can't stand the ****er. Never could.

Maybe its the accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Dreadful dreadful rubbish. Anyone who think this is good radio for a station that markets itslef as being for 25 - 40 year olds needs to find out what good radio is all about.:mad:

Couldn't agree with you more... but what would you expect from the station??
    If you gave any other station the money at 2fm's disposal, they couldn't do a worse job... John McMahon and Yvonne Judge in 2fm have a lot to answer for.....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

itchy_sack wrote: »
    Dont forget Zig and Zag sold out Ireland to channel 4. The judas muppets. Back around now trying to milk more money from a rather limited creation.

wtf?? So someone who goes to ply their trade in another country is a Judas??? God forbid that they were offered more money than RTE, who, if you remember, were the ONLY Irish station at the time.

I heard a bit of the programme on Saturday and thought it passable, but probably only because I wasn't exposed to the whole thing. That might get a bit wearing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

SDTimeout wrote: »

You would have missed Zig and Zag at their peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Absolutely right. I love Zig & Zag but they're past their best and their humour doesn't work so well on radio.

This just shows how bafflingly out of touch RTE management is with the audience of 2FM and the remit for the station. The station has absolutely no brand or recognisable identify whatsoever.

2FM sounds like community radio when compared to the BBC...even when compared to BBC Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

eth0_ wrote: »
    Absolutely right. I love Zig & Zag but they're past their best and their humour doesn't work so well on radio.

This just shows how bafflingly out of touch RTE management is with the audience of 2FM and the remit for the station. The station has absolutely no brand or recognisable identify whatsoever.

2FM sounds like community radio when compared to the BBC...even when compared to BBC Radio 1.

So right, except on one point... in general, community stations are run very well on incredibly small budgets, and sometimes with poor facilities and equipment. 2fm have vast budgets, overpaid staff and too many of them. They need to do a good clear out of the dead wood, both on air presenters that are past their sell by date, and likewise with their production staff. As usual with a public sector body, no accountability...

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Zig and Zag return to the airwaves on Saturday mornings from 10-12 with their new show 'Smells like Saturday', taking over from tommy and hector.

I miss them on the box :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Dobbo

The show is quality, Zig & Zag are legends and an Irish institution, god some people will literally give out about anything

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sailordog13

Is it me, or do our prodigal brothers seem to have a certain aloofness about them?
    Was a great fan of them on the Den, and loved the occasional interview we had from them on radio over the years as they faded in our memories. But they just don't seem to have 'it' any more.
    There style of show and presentation doesn't suit a Saturday morning audience.
    I like the banter and craic with some music, but now on Saturdays I change to Spin SW. Less bather and craic, but better music.

Zig and Zag, its time to retire, or try childrens TV again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

i can't see how this can work without the middle man (Dempsey, Darcy).
    Half of what made Z&Z so great was winding the host up and doing everything possible to derail the show. It's missing that anarchic quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 The Fame

Was just listening to end of the show and they were saying it was their last show!
    I was wondering if it's for the summer or is it permanent. They said thanks to all their team etc!

I was just warming to the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Fame wrote: »
    Was just listening to end of the show and they were saying it was their last show!
    I was wondering if it's for the summer or is it permanent. They said thanks to all their team etc!

I was just warming to the show.
    The break is for the summer only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

i can't see how this can work without the middle man (Dempsey, Darcy).
    Half of what made Z&Z so great was winding the host up and doing everything possible to derail the show. It's missing that anarchic quality.

That's exactly what I thought the few times I've listened to them - they need a straight man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Still no Zig and Zag on Saturday mornings. Looks like cutbacks may have prevented a return til 2012. I can't remember 2fm sounding so bad on a Saturday. Apart from Jenny Greene of course.

Advertisement