Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can they see my files? windows server 2003

Options
  • 26-10-2010 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

windows server 2003(OS of server)

Hello guys! Currently Im using a computer here at work that is connected to our domain here in our company. Because the ip add is static and the computer name is pcname.companyname.local

So Im just wondering, Im logging in with my username and password that has been given to me. Then changed it recently.....

Now the question is do they see all my files in my hard drive or all my files are in the server and never in my hard drive? Because whenever Im logging in I always log in to the domain. Hope you understand what I mean guys...hehe. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 triskellion

Depends on the permissions your IT people have set on the machine & where the files are located.
    Err on the side of caution & operate on the premise that anything on a work machine will be seen by someone else at work so if you've anything non work there, get it off rapido.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 burutos08

Depends on the permissions your IT people have set on the machine & where the files are located.
    Err on the side of caution & operate on the premise that anything on a work machine will be seen by someone else at work so if you've anything non work there, get it off rapido.

so it is possible then that the IT people see my files? And can they see my microsoft outlook mails???? if its possible to see my files from the server what process is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Yes.
    Yes.
    and
    Yes.

GgW9J.jpg

Think of the Domain Admin as GOD!!!!!
    burutos08 wrote: »
    so it is possible then that the IT people see my files? And can they see my microsoft outlook mails???? if its possible to see my files from the server what process is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

burutos08 wrote: »
    windows server 2003(OS of server)

Hello guys! Currently Im using a computer here at work that is connected to our domain here in our company. Because the ip add is static and the computer name is pcname.companyname.local

So Im just wondering, Im logging in with my username and password that has been given to me. Then changed it recently.....

Now the question is do they see all my files in my hard drive or all my files are in the server and never in my hard drive? Because whenever Im logging in I always log in to the domain. Hope you understand what I mean guys...hehe. Thanks in advance!

Default policy is that machines added to the domain are accessible by their administrative shares.

In other words, yes. Everything on your machine can be seen by an admin.

Also attempts to lock this from admins can be seen by auditing policies.

Depending on the drive mappings and save location policies, your data may be stored locally or on the server.

Local is bad for business.

P.S - Its a work machine, admins are there to ensure they stay secure, try and adjust a set policy at your peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It's possible to see your files on the server by changing the permissions on your shared directory.
    Sometimes permissions are set to allow the file and folder names to be globally viewable (but not read/write permissions), as it discourages the false sense of privacy and dumping MP3s on the server.

Desktops and laptops connected to the domain can easily be examined by a domain admin, even more easily than the shared user directory on the server.
    A good server backup should have a desktop option to grab documents etc on your computer and sync them to the server automatically.

For email, they can just assign joint ownership of the exchange account to themselves or another user. Doing this without a good reason and the OK of a relevant senior manager would be grounds for censure though.

So
    Hope you understand what I mean guys...hehe.
    you're fecked. Clean up your machine and after a time the rubbish will only exist on tapes in a cabinet that hopefully doesn't get checked .

• Advertisement
Advertisement