Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Options
  • 26-10-2010 12:32pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Didn't see any thread on it. If your Wii is gathering dust, then this game is the remedy for that. It's well worth playing. Played through it over the weekend. It's so beautiful and balanced!

This is going straight to the top of my platforming game of the year for sure. Super Meat Boy a close second :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,635 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

read good reviews , so its worth pulling out the wii again to play ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

2smiggy wrote: »
    read good reviews , so its worth pulling out the wii again to play ?

Definitely. The Wii hasn't had much to shout about lately, but this game is worth taking it out again

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Long game? Buy or rent?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Definitely. The Wii hasn't had much to shout about lately, but this game is worth taking it out again

With Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid Other M, my Wii has actually gotten far more action that it usually does in the last six months :pac:

But yeah, this looks cool. Unfortunately, will probably have to wait a while to play it. Smaller but innovative games like this kind of get lost in the major release push towards the end of October. It's a shame, because something fun like this would get much more attention during quieter periods. As is, I barely even realised it was out!

the wii has some excellent games

zelda
    mario galaxys, normal mario, paper mario

worth it for those games alone

plus the downloadable games like majoras mask.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I fully agree the wii has some stupidly good games but there's a lot of ignorant people shooting it down. The only problem is you have to look for the more obscure titles to find the classics that aren't published by nintendo.

As for Epic Yarn, I've heard it's superb and can't wait to play it. Looks beautiful as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

It does look great and I plan on getting it. It is good to see another co-op platformer. Had plenty of fun earlier this year with four players in NSMB Wii.

We have a long wait for Kirby though. The EU release is March 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The only problem is you have to look for the more obscure titles to find the classics that aren't published by nintendo.

Every single game mentioned before you features Nintendo's tired stable of characters though.
    I've tried Murumasa (sp!) and Boy and his Blob and couldn't really warm to either of them. They're usually the two names that I see popping up whenever someone mentions quality Wii games, so am I missing much else?

Sorry for going off topic, but I've been a lifelong Nintendo fan and feel like each subsequent game that I play (apart from ones with Mario in) puts me more and more off the idea of ever turning my dusty Wii back on again.
    I'd hardly consider that "ignorant"...

I'll give this one a rental for sure, but can't really see it reigniting any lost love for the big N...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Mr E wrote: »
    Long game? Buy or rent?

Rent unless you're going to go for co-op. The co-op gives it far more replay value imo. It's short enough and easy too, but just playing it gives so much satisfaction

I should mention it's not out here til 2011, but I've been playing a US import.

• Advertisement

is there any problem playing us imports on european wiis ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

tman wrote: »
    Sorry for going off topic, but I've been a lifelong Nintendo fan and feel like each subsequent game that I play (apart from ones with Mario in) puts me more and more off the idea of ever turning my dusty Wii back on again.
    I'd hardly consider that "ignorant"...

Well I'm not calling some one like you ignorant because you have tried to play some of the games but there's plenty that only see it as a wii sports/fit playing machine and will be quick enough to chime in and dismiss it without having any experience of. I really liked Muramasa and A Boy anf his Blob but there's other games as well.

Wario Shake Dimension is far better than the reviews will tell you
    De Blob is an excellent and original platformer
    I love the two Endless Ocean games and find them quite relaxing
    Little Kings Story is excellent and plays like Pikmin
    No More Heroes is a bit of a weird taste but if you are playing it for the surreal visuals, plot and script you are in for a treat
    Punch Out!! is fantastic
    Sin and Punishment 2 is very strong contender for game of the year and is one of the best action games of this generation
    Zak and Wiki
    Trauma Centre games work better on the Wii
    Tasunoko vs. Capcom is one of the best fighters ever made.

Plenty of Wiiware games worth playing. Konami's Rebirth series is well worth investing in, lost winds is a great series and there's a few more.

Unfortunately we are going to see a massive drop off in quality third party development on the Wii since the system is totally dead to japanese third party developers and Nintendo won't even localise some of it's best self published games like Fatal Frame 4, Xenoblade (looking very unlikely) and Zangeki no REGINLEIV from the guys that made EDF.

2smiggy wrote: »
    is there any problem playing us imports on european wiis ?

If you have homebrew channel on your Wii you can play the game using the gecko launcher program.

is that easy to do retro ? or where should i look for instructions ?

I found it pretty easy myself and is easier to do if you haven't upgraded the firmware but if you have I think it's still possible. You should be able to search google for tutorials on it or even ask in the console modding forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

pal version not out till next year? no wonder i heard no news of this at all :P

2011 should be a good year, cant wait for Xenoblade and Last Story (and possibly new Zelda?!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

seraphimvc wrote: »
    2011 should be a good year, cant wait for Xenoblade and Last Story (and possibly new Zelda?!)

Lost in Shadow out in 2011 also and looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

tman wrote: »
    I've tried Murumasa (sp!) and Boy and his Blob and couldn't really warm to either of them. They're usually the two names that I see popping up whenever someone mentions quality Wii games, so am I missing much else?
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    De Blob is an excellent and original platformer
    I picked up deBlob in Xtravision for €10 a couple of months ago. Super platformer, a genre lacking on the 360/PS3, but seems to be abundant on the Wii. My one gripe with the game was the inability to save mid-level; those levels can last a hour+ if you're a completionist!

Forgot to mention the remake of the excellent Klonoa.
    seraphimvc wrote: »

That's if we see them in the West unfortunately.

Advertisement