Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HKC ALARM Installation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭altor

Wigster wrote: »
    Super Stuff Altor. Just checked it and it works. Thank you.

Your welcome, all easy when you know how :D
    Any other problems let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DartryK

Hi guys, I'm new here so please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place. I did a few searches and couldn't find a direct answer to my question below. I came up with this thread as having a lot of clever guys who probably know what's what!

I'm about to start a whole house installation, trying to work out what exactly is the deal with the HKC point ID sensors. Reading the HKC blurb it implies that you can wire additional contacts into the ID sensor. My question is, say if I have 4 openings on one window, can I wire up just one MC ID sensor and connect 3 reed contacts into it and will they all show up on that particular point ID? Am I making sense here?

Any help that you can give would be brilliant, as I really need to make some decisions about what hardware to buy. I love the idea of the point ID sensors but I won't bother with them if you can't add additional contacts as I've described.

Thanks in advance!

DartryK wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm new here so please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place. I did a few searches and couldn't find a direct answer to my question below. I came up with this thread as having a lot of clever guys who probably know what's what!

I'm about to start a whole house installation, trying to work out what exactly is the deal with the HKC point ID sensors. Reading the HKC blurb it implies that you can wire additional contacts into the ID sensor. My question is, say if I have 4 openings on one window, can I wire up just one MC ID sensor and connect 3 reed contacts into it and will they all show up on that particular point ID? Am I making sense here?

Any help that you can give would be brilliant, as I really need to make some decisions about what hardware to buy. I love the idea of the point ID sensors but I won't bother with them if you can't add additional contacts as I've described.

Thanks in advance!

That is correct. There is an alarm and tamper input on the sensor that the contact is wired into to cover additional openings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DartryK

Fantastic! Thanks a million Altor. That really helps me figure out which way to go. I hope you don't mind if I pop in here a bit with a few more questions over the next few months as I work my way through this job following my builder around the house...

Once again, thanks for the prompt response.

DartryK wrote: »
    Fantastic! Thanks a million Altor. That really helps me figure out which way to go. I hope you don't mind if I pop in here a bit with a few more questions over the next few months as I work my way through this job following my builder around the house...

Once again, thanks for the prompt response.

Your welcome DartryK, feel free to post any problems you come across.
    You will get all the help you need here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Gunth

Hi guys,
    First of all please excuse my complete lack of knowledge on house alarms so hopefully I have come to the right people. I recently moved into a house that has an alarm fitted with a HKC panel.
    My first question is that I had to turn off the mains power recently and the alarm went off outside the house but I could not deactivate the alarm at the panel as it was powered off. Should the control panel have its own power source?
    Also the only documentation I received with the alarm was a leaflet explaining where the different zones are and I want to change the password as we are using the same one as the previous owners. There are no instructions on the leaflet to do this.
    The alarm has being going off at random times and the error message reads that there is a issue with the utility room but everything is okay in the utility room as in no sign of forces entry. Could this be a faulty sensor?
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Gunth.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Gunth wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    First of all please excuse my complete lack of knowledge on house alarms so hopefully I have come to the right people. I recently moved into a house that has an alarm fitted with a HKC panel.
    My first question is that I had to turn off the mains power recently and the alarm went off outside the house but I could not deactivate the alarm at the panel as it was powered off. Should the control panel have its own power source?
    It has its own back up battery that should hold the system up.
    This will need to be replaced.
    Also the only documentation I received with the alarm was a leaflet explaining where the different zones are and I want to change the password as we are using the same one as the previous owners. There are no instructions on the leaflet to do this.
    When you enter your user code does it bring you into the user menu or just set instantly?
    The alarm has being going off at random times and the error message reads that there is a issue with the utility room but everything is okay in the utility room as in no sign of forces entry. Could this be a faulty sensor
    If it only activates on this zone when it is set it could be a faulty sensor or contact or a wiring problem.

Thanks for the response KoolKid.
    I'm assuming I have to contact the installer to rectify all of the issues or is it possible that I will be able to do some of the work myself? Am I better off contacting the installer or going with an independent?

Is it a case of buying a battery and removing the old one and simply slotting the new one in place and where would you get one?

When I enter the user code the alarm sets instantly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your code should give you access to all user menus,
    Your installer either didnt set up the code correctly or intentionally denied you these basic permissions in the hope of future revenue.
    Either way I'd go with someone else if I were you.
    The battery change is easy enough, but if you plan getting someone out anyway you may as well get them to put in a new one for you.
    If you want to have a go at checking the sensors yourself get a multi meter & Ill go through it with you.

Thanks again KoolKid for the advice. I will search for an independent this week and get them out to have a look at it.

• Advertisement

No bother, if you need anything else let us know.

Hi guys,
    The alarm has being going off at random times and the error message reads that there is a issue with the utility room but everything is okay in the utility room as in no sign of forces entry. Could this be a faulty sensor?
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Gunth.

Defaulting the system if not engineer locked will allow you full access to the panel. There is more than likely a faulty device in the utility room causing the alarm to go off randomly. A test with a multi meter if you have one will find the fault. The battery for this alarm is a 12V 7Amp, also very easy to change yourself. Just make sure you turn off the mains to the alarm system before opening the control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 skiman

Hi,

I've recently installed a HKC SW812 control panel and RKP in my house. All is well with the alarm, except, it does NOT allow me to add a temp user using the 0*6 option. "Access denied" appears on the LCD or "TMP User Code Error". I assume I am doing something wrong or I've NOT enabled something in the system setup? Could someone advise on a solution.

Thanks in advance.

skiman wrote: »
    Hi,

I've recently installed a HKC SW812 control panel and RKP in my house. All is well with the alarm, except, it does NOT allow me to add a temp user using the 0*6 option. "Access denied" appears on the LCD or "TMP User Code Error". I assume I am doing something wrong or I've NOT enabled something in the system setup? Could someone advise on a solution.

Thanks in advance.

It does not work on the 8/12. The easiest solution is to add a user code through the engineer menu and delete when not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 skiman

Thanks for that. Saves me a lot of grief.

skiman wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Saves me a lot of grief.

Your welcome, any other problems let us know.

skiman,just curious, if its a recent install why didn't you use the secure wave. ?
    Securewatch is a bit dated now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rinky

Hi. I've inherited a SW-1070 system and want to install it at another location. I've read the posts and managed to reset the Engineer code to the default and can read the menu's and so want to begin the installation. However I don't have any wiring diagrams. The original system consisted of the panel box, a GSM dialler, internal sounder, external bell/strobe, two door contacts, two roller shutter contacts and around six PIR's. I only want to install one roller shutter contact, one PIR and one door contact, (they have the two resistors already wired). I can see how to connect the PIR and the door and roller contacts but I can't see how to connect the outside bell, the internal sounder and the GSM panel. Is there anywhere I can get hold of a wiring diagram?

Here you go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Hi All,

Want to setup alarm so it can be part armed at night. What would I be paying for the following?

1 Extra keypad
    2 Panic buttons
    1 Text/voice digi that could do central station monitoring in the future

Would I be better off upgrading to the hkc securewave panel?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Do you have the older 6/10 panel or the 8/12 ?
    Keypad - €80 - €90
    Panic - €5 - €10
    Digi - €70 - €80

I have the secure wave and I can't fault it :)
    You'll be able to add 2 - way wireless sensors in the future along with fobs, smoke/heat/carbon monoxide sensors
    RF keypads /RF panic buttons RF bells .
    If you do decide to upgrade wait till september when the new panel is released to allow for the RF keypad/panic and plug on GSM unit

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Do you have the older 6/10 panel or the 8/12 ?
    Keypad - €80 - €90
    Panic - €5 - €10
    Digi - €70 - €80

I have the secure wave and I can't fault it :)
    You'll be able to add 2 - way wireless sensors in the future along with fobs, smoke/heat/carbon monoxide sensors
    RF keypads /RF panic buttons RF bells .
    If you do decide to upgrade wait till september when the new panel is released to allow for the RF keypad/panic and plug on GSM unit

I have the 8/12 panel. 6 wired honeywell pirs, 1 outside Sabb, 1 indoor siron, 812 panel and keypad.

Is the new panel that is coming out a newer version under the 1070 or will it be a complete new system? What would be the benifit of waiting for this? Most of the walls are stud walls (not outside walls obviously) so wiring is not an issue.
    /edit:/
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what are 2 way sensors? Can you not already add smoke detectors etc?

It's a newer version of the 10/70 .
    With 2 - way devices the panel can talk to the sensor and the sensor to the panel .
    2 way sensors have no sleep time when armed . When the system is armed the RF PIRs immediately wake up and are working .
    When the system is set and a sensor is triggered the sensor will keep transmitting
    until it gets a reply back from the panel . This protects against RF jamming as the sensor will get through or the panels jam detect will activate .

You can add wireless smokes to the 10/70

• Registered Users Posts: 4 harryw1000

Hi All ,

looking for some help on finishing an install in my house .
    the previous owner had someone in and installed the downstairs but never finished the upstairs .
    there is 3 windows connected to 1 zone but the contact used i have never seen before it does not seem to have a tamper on it but i could be wrong .
    So i have no clue how to wire it up so that each window will open the zone .
    i have uploaded a pic of the contact.
    any help would be most welcome .
    sorry should have said it is 4 core wiring .

thanks

Wire them in a loop
    Red wire from panel into one side of the reed and red out to the next reed . Join black to black and place under a spare terminal .at the last sensor connect the red wire into one side of the terminal and the black into the other terminal
    There is a tamper and it's the terminals in the centre ( the two overlapping terminals)
    Connect yellow in one side and yellow out the other then into the next sensor . Connect blue to blue and place under spare terminal at the last sensor connect the yellow wire into one side of the tamper and the blue into the other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 harryw1000

Wire them in a loop
    Red wire from panel into one side of the reed and red out to the next reed . Join black to black and place under a spare terminal .at the last sensor connect the red wire into one side of the terminal and the black into the other terminal
    There is a tamper and it's the terminals in the centre ( the two overlapping terminals)
    Connect yellow in one side and yellow out the other then into the next sensor . Connect blue to blue and place under spare terminal at the last sensor connect the yellow wire into one side of the tamper and the blue into the other

Thanks Thunder i will give it a go when im home and let you know if i have any problems .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭tangoman

altor wrote: »
    Here is a drawing that might help you out.

Hello Altor you helped me before with alarm.

My Son fitting alarm he has one wire going upstairs from panel to first bedroom then linked to other bedrooms,bathroom and then last to landing one wire.They all have a sensor fitted no contact how are they wired in series Thanks

tangoman wrote: »
    Hello Altor you helped me before with alarm.

My Son fitting alarm he has one wire going upstairs from panel to first bedroom then linked to other bedrooms,bathroom and then last to landing one wire.They all have a sensor fitted no contact how are they wired in series Thanks

Hi Tangoman.

Please find PDF attached.

Thanks for diagram so do I just use standard wiring and leave link in for tamper and wire them in series with a link with a red wire between each sensor and then do I link allthe blacks to bring back to panel

Thanks for diagram so do I just use standard wiring and leave link in for tamper and wire them in series with a link with a red wire between each sensor and then do I link allthe blacks to bring back to panel

Always best to use the tamper circuit too.
    Standard wiring red/black for alarm and blue/yellow for tamper is the easiest option or else dual end of line the detectors covering both alarm and tamper into the alarm zone on the control panel.

• Advertisement

what terminals do i use in sensor if i dont use tamper and which ones if i do.Do i have to fit resistors

For HKC Inertia contacts 1 & 6 are the contact 2 & 5 are the sensor & 4 & 3 are the tamper.
    You don't have to use resistors , but this must be reflected in the zone hardware set up.

do you mean 3 and 4 for tamper

Yes, editing now...:o

Hi, I have just installed a new HKC secure watch alarm, and on the keypad it is showing a fault - external bell tamper. Does anybody know how to resolve this. Thanks

Is it the wired or wireless external?

Secure watch
    Do you have the resistor in the sabb?

Thanks for getting back. It is wired and there is a resistor in the sabb and there is a second resistor in the control panel.

Take the resistor out of the control panel

TB is correct. There should be only one resistor.

• Advertisement

Thanks for getting back, I'll try this and let you know how I get on.

Thanks TB and Koolkid, I tried that today and it worked!!!. Have another question though. I have wired a PIR to the system and how do I install it through the keypad? Any help would be appreciated.

I have wired a PIR to the system and how do I install it through the keypad? Any help would be appreciated.

Depends on what you want the pir to do.
    If it is to be off at night then go into the zones options and select yes for the pir to be off in partset.
    If it is to be on dont change this setting.
    If the pir is an access route then you need to select yes to set it up as an access zone.
    If you want it to be entry/exit at night when the system is in partset and an access zone when the system is full set then access to entry needs to be set up. This is set up in the partguard options menu.

Thanks, I think I understand. The PIR and the keypad are in the hallway, so when I arm the system to full set to exit the house the PIR is picking me up and setting the alarm off before I can go out the door, so if I set the PIR up as an access zone will this solve the problem?

Thanks, I think I understand. The PIR and the keypad are in the hallway, so when I arm the system to full set to exit the house the PIR is picking me up and setting the alarm off before I can go out the door, so if I set the PIR up as an access zone will this solve the problem?

That is correct. It is set up in the zone options menu.

Thanks. I have another question. In the devices menu is says Add & Id devices and also locate devices - Do I need to do anything in this menu with the PIR

No , the PiR will just wire into a zone & then you programmer up the zone attributes as you want them.

when would you use Add & Id devices and also locate devices,in the devices menu?

Devices are keypads expanders etc....

• Advertisement

when would you use Add & Id devices and also locate devices,in the devices menu?

If the PIR you are using was a point id PIR then you can either id the PIR in as a point . Handy if you have a lot of PIRs to put on the system then 10 can be added to one zone (5,6,7,8 can take the point devices) and the control panel can tell which PIR is which using the data line. In your case if you have one then it will be wired into a normal zone using the alarm and tamper of the zone.

Advertisement