Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Campag Athena: Carbon Upgrades worth it?

• 26-10-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭

Thinking about investing in a bike with Athena on it. There are options for carbon chainset, but there is €120 in the difference or so I am told. Is this worth it? Seems to be a bit steep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

That must be a mixed group as Athena chainset is carbon.

www.chaindrivencycles.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

paddyduc wrote: »
    That must be a mixed group as Athena chainset is carbon.

Nope, there is an alloy option.

There won't be any functional difference. Pick the option that best suits your bike.

ATHENA_2010_copia.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

The carbon crank is class looking up close, carbon shifters as well , id say worth it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Are the shifters not coated metal? Think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

I've got a centaur one here and it's carbon inside and out. It looks like full carbon to me so the Athena must also be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

paddyduc wrote: »
    I've got a centaur one here and it's carbon inside and out. It looks like full carbon to me so the Athena must also be.

Alloy inner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

the latest model athena now offers aluminium brake levers as standard, as old school purists where moaning about the carbeon ones taking away from the asthetics of the groupset, seeing as the deraillers are alu

kerrycyclist

ive got the carbon athena, crank and brake levers, if you're up in dublin by any chance, you're more than welcome to have a spin on my bike to see if you like it

personally, i couldnt reccommend it any higher, great shifting, super comfortable hoods, and it looks prettier than shimano to :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Planet X wrote: »
    Alloy inner.

This is true, it's a carbon wrap. Campag seem to be on a mission to downgrade each product line in successive generations, the new centaur has ditched the ultra torque crank in favor of a Shimano-esque crank design. Doesn't matter in terms of anything other than weight weenyism though.

I have the carbon crank, can't say I notice any difference between it and an alloy one. I mean, if anything is going to flex it's the chainrings, BB or pedal axles, I wouldn't have thought crank arms were high on the list. Slightly lighter, might want to look that up, but I just liked the look. Frankly, if you think it isn't worth it, it probably isn't. There is no real benefit other than the look and a small weight saving, so the question you should be asking is "is the look of the carbon worth 120 euro to you?". At the end of the day it will still perform the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I was doing a bit of research for my new build and basically came to a Bike Radar review of the veloce alloy UT cranks which gave it the result of '....best sub £200 crankset'.
    Asthetically yes carbon.
    But if its stiffness you are after its an upgrade of the rings. Though I really havent heard complaints of the Campy rings being 'soft'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭thekerrycyclist

Thanks for everybody's help. I'm going to go with the alloy chainset, it's not worth the money for the sake of looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Thanks for everybody's help. I'm going to go with the alloy chainset, it's not worth the money for the sake of looks.

surelythat deserves a ban, we dont want that sort of talk round here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Stone the unbeliever:)

www.garnersclassics

Advertisement