Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd Hand MotorBike - What to look out for??

• 26-10-2010 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi All,

I plan on getting a motorbike very soon ( honda hornet)
    This will be the 1st bike I have purchased 2nd hand.

Just wondering what I should be looking out for damage wise.

My brother once told me if you drive a bike and let go of the handlebars (safely) and if the bike vers to the left or right then chances are the bike has been dropped and the frame could be damaged as it should go straight.

Just wondering if any 2nd hand motorbike buyers could give me any and all advice on purchasing a 2nd hand bike and what specifically to look out for or if you have any other tips like the above

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

KamiKazi wrote: »

thnx for that link, just put the kettle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Moved to Motorbikes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

My brother once told me if you drive a bike and let go of the handlebars (safely) and if the bike vers to the left or right then chances are the bike has been dropped and the frame could be damaged as it should go straight.

ehhh, havent heard that before and wouldnt recommend it at all! :eek:

Buy from a reputable second hand dealer if you have concerns. I recommend JP Motorcycles on Pearse St. (Ive bought all my bikes from there)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

faceman wrote: »
    ehhh, havent heard that before and wouldnt recommend it at all! :eek:

Buy from a reputable second hand dealer if you have concerns. I recommend JP Motorcycles on Pearse St. (Ive bought all my bikes from there)

i un reccomend them
    sold two or three duds that i know of
    and i have heard of the making sure she steers straight idea
    fact is you need someone to help you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Just wondering what I should be looking out for damage wise.

Don't buy any bike with evidence of accident damage unless your budget forces you to. Being able to tell the difference between cosmetic and structural damage is an acquired skill and if you are in doubt, find someone to help you.

Taking your hands off the bars to check a bike is not a reliable test either - the road camber, tyre wear, headstock bearings and lots of other things can affect this and you might also fall off (not ideal).

Buy the lowest mileage, cleanest example of the bike you can find. Dont buy resprayed, modified, customised versions as they almost always have accident damage in their history.

I wouldn't recommend JP either - but go and sit on their fine selection of bikes to see if you like any of them.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I bought a bike a couple of years ago as a novice who knew nada. I brought a mate who knew bikes quite well. I also got a bike mechanic to check it out and there was no hassle. I'd recommend the mechanic though, they'll know what to look out for.

By the by, I am now selling it, 05 Hornet 600, 11k miles, in very good shape. PM for further details:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Get a mate who knows about bikes to go with you to look at any bike you are thinking of buying. There are LOTS of scammers out there.

Advertisement