Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrel Chop!!

Options
  • 26-10-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

HI lads,

Theres a fore sight on my CZ 452 which would stop me getting it threaded for a moddy, before you say it - yes I have the "S" on my licence!!, but as it only really for bunnies and pests with subsonic's how short could I chop the barrel and have it recrowned?

Was thinking 16" would make it nice and handelable, wooo is that a word?? well you know what I mean :D

I would loose a little FPS but would it affect the extreme spread??

Cheers,

Fish

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

What length is the barrel?

Why not remove the front sight and "save" as much of the barrel length as possible. Remove the "hood" around the sight. Then see if its screwed on or soldered/glued on. If its screwed simply unscrew, or if its soldered/glued wrap the barrel leaving only the sight exposed and heat for a bit. This will allow you to pull the front sight forward and off.

If you are not comfortable doing this go to a gunsmith. Actually i would recommend going to a gunsmith anyway. He will be better able to tell you how much barrel will need to be cut so as to properly and safely thread the barrel.

With regards to accuracy, as long as the bullet can turn enough to stablise a shorter barrel should not effect accuracy at all or by much. If you think you have lost a bit then try out different ammo (slower) and see which groups the best.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Been discussed once or twice, but the legal limit is a rather unpleasantly gray area thanks to poorly drafted legislation.

Depending on how you look at it (and it's not clear at all how it should be looked at), it's either perfectly legal or very illegal to have a rifle with a barrel shorter than 50cm (19.68"). About the only clear case is where the barrel is shortened below 50cm, and that's illegal under the Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »
    Been discussed once or twice, but the legal limit is a rather unpleasantly gray area thanks to poorly drafted legislation.

Depending on how you look at it (and it's not clear at all how it should be looked at), it's either perfectly legal or very illegal to have a rifle with a barrel shorter than 50cm (19.68"). About the only clear case is where the barrel is shortened below 50cm, and that's illegal under the Act.

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?produktID=191&menu=106&seite=62&sprache=1&produktShow=variante

Where does this relate to Irish law?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's kindof the question Tack.
    If you get a licence for it, then there's an argument that that licence constitutes the necessary legal authority spoken about in the Act, but it's not clear that that really is the case (licences have been granted for firearms in the past that are not legally licencable in Ireland; and even if the licence is above board, the "lawful authority" definition is still vague at best) and it'd have to be decided upon by a court to settle the matter (and if there's one thing we've learnt from a decade of court cases it's that they're a horse race and you don't want to go betting your house on the outcome of one no matter how rational your case seems to you).
    There's also the point that if your licence is legal authority for owning a sub-50cm barrel rifle, then there's a rather unpleasant can of worms that could be opened by the same argument w.r.t. carrying firearms in public; so even if logic says you should win your case, social concern could ensure that you lose it (and there's a sad degree of precedent for this in the Irish court system).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

The barrel is 23 1/2" and the sight looks glued on as in slipped on over a step down in the barrel diameter.

it's a parker hale moddy and I looking to keep the length reasonable, the PH would add another 6".

From what your saying Sparks, 20" would be the lowest I could go.

giving a total length of 26" shorter would be nicer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

HI lads,

Theres a fore sight on my CZ 452 which would stop me getting it threaded for a moddy, before you say it - yes I have the "S" on my licence!!, but as it only really for bunnies and pests with subsonic's how short could I chop the barrel and have it recrowned?

Was thinking 16" would make it nice and handelable, wooo is that a word?? well you know what I mean :D

I would loose a little FPS but would it affect the extreme spread??

Cheers,

Fish
    i have a 452 myself but it's a wmr sounds like our sights are the same if you look at the barrel were the fore sight is you'll see a crease the fore sight is slotted over the barrel so it should pull of when heated so you don't have to cut anything off your barrel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 plinker

most fore sights can be machined off neatly and threaded as long as you keep the guns overall over 90cm
    I cut my CZs to 16 1/2" and it still met with regs. as for FPS that tops out at 14" from what I've read

Advertisement