Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious crazies get the knives out for Norris' Presidency bid

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

God damn it, I thought this was about Chuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

JohnathanM wrote: »
    God damn it, I thought this was about Chuck.

Chuck Norris as President. We can dream. :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

See this encourages me to vote for him just to piss them off

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I was going to vote for him anyway. Now I just wish I had two votes that I could use to annoy them. This is Westboro Baptist Church-like rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

They must reckon he's in with a chance.

All the more reason to vote for him, I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

There'll always be people like that around but i'm sure he's well used to it by now. Not that he SHOULD have to be but it's a sad fact of life that it just is that way. He'll take it in his stride i'm sure. In fact, I bet he'll take great pleasure from the outcry caused by these bible bashing homophobes if he wins.

Pretty lucky he doesn't have Fred Phelps living here actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

david75 wrote: »
    But this place is even worse. Talk about misinformed willfull ignorance
    http://www.campaignforconscience.org/

civil partnership "erodes freedom of conscience"? WHAT!?

this site makes me want to vomit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

This is some crazy family, kind of like the Westboro Baptist Church, not any organisation.

They are from Castlebar. Here is an article from the Irish Times about them
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2010/0710/1224274400543.html

Bit sad really, I thought Ireland did not have these inbred religious nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Talk about misinformed willfull ignorance

There's a lot of that going around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It's so completely ignorant and misinformed it's laughable but it's kinda frightening too. They'll have traction somewhere on this island yanno?

i Hope Norris gets the presidency. If bertie runs, Norris will definitely get the presidency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I'd vote for chuck Norris for president...really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

there wouldnt be an election oif Chuck was running, he'd just make us convert to a monarchy state and hed make himself king. end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

Can someone explain these religious nuts to me please?

The answer is in the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Disgusting - those web sites must be a joke (and not a funny one at that). Are there really such sick minded people in the coutry still.

Norris was around TCD a bit when I was there and I had the fortune to meet him - it would be hard to find a more elequent, witty and intelligent man around.

I must admit that I would vote for him if he ran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Disgusting - those web sites must be a joke (and not a funny one at that). Are there really such sick minded people in the coutry still.

I'd love to think they were. Sadly, they're not.

However I don't think anyone should vote for Norris purely to shut up the bigots. You should vote for him if you feel that he's the best person for the job.

Shutting up the bigots is just a delicious bonus. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

i wouldn't vote for david norris tbh, last thing this country needs is another token president pushed to show how far modern ireland has come. Now don't get me wrong, the two marys were great, but i've strongly disagreed with norris opinion before on certain topics, namely he would like to see ireland rejoin the commonwealth, he was on the afternoon show, last year i think it was.

Saying that i would definitely not vote for bertie. Looks like i may have to spoil my vote... Again... :-P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

did he really say he admired the classical idea of manboy love?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

He's got my vote anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Their main argument seems to be about him being gay. Does that really matter?

Someone should troll the **** out of that website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Michael D for President

Has my vote

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Their main argument seems to be about him being gay. Does that really matter?

But he eats da poo poo!

did he really say he admired the classical idea of manboy love?

It would appear so. Although he later backtracked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

CathyMoran wrote: »

Norris was around TCD a bit when I was there and I had the fortune to meet him - it would be hard to find a more elequent, witty and intelligent man around.

I must admit that I would vote for him if he ran.

+1 to that, he's a national treasure in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

prinz wrote: »
    It would appear so. Although he later backtracked.

He said something about younger men having great experiences with older men didn't he? If by younger men he meant 18/19 year olds then he's just talking about consenting adults really. He wasn't advocating sex with minors was he?

Ronnie Wood gets away with it in a heterosexual manner.

I only vaguely remember the Norris comments so feel free to correct me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Aldebaran wrote: »
    He's got my vote anyway.
    +1

I normally wouldnt bother voting in a presidential election as its largely a figurehead role with few real tasks.

However now I will vote for norris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

thebhoy wrote: »
    i wouldn't vote for david norris tbh, last thing this country needs is another token president pushed to show how far modern ireland has come. Now don't get me wrong, the two marys were great, but i've strongly disagreed with norris opinion before on certain topics, namely he would like to see ireland rejoin the commonwealth, he was on the afternoon show, last year i think it was.

Saying that i would definitely not vote for bertie. Looks like i may have to spoil my vote... Again... :-P

Actually I completely agree with you here. Although I appreciate all the wonderful work the man has done, he tries to hard to be a comedian and a character, and a lot of what he says is simply unbecoming of someone who wants to be the face of our country. I would also be incredibly wary of tokenism. I don't want everyone to go "Sure we have a gay president, gays do great in our society" and this is simply not the case. We have huge problems, not only marriage and civil partnership issues, that affect the LGBT community in Ireland and have not just disappeared because we are 'modern' now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

thebhoy wrote: »
    Now don't get me wrong, the two marys were great,

Were they? Robinson was great, McAleese was and is meh.

I don't think Norris would represent a token president merely because of his sexuality. He's a well read and eloquent individual and whilst I may also disagree on his views on the commonwealth, I think the level of intelligence he would bring to the role is worth voting for him alone...any token value construed by those on foreign soil looking on is merely a bonus.

As for these websites, nothing the religious right do in this country surprises me...their views on homosexuality, transsexuality, same sex marriages, abortion and whatever else they have a problem with is there for all to see if you listen in to any local radio station in the mornings. Ask the same lot about their attitude to child molestation in the church and they'll make an excuse or divert the topic.

I'd vote for Norris anyhow...pissing these pricks off is icing on the cake if he won...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

info@campaignforconscience.org

It would be a terrible shame if this email address somehow ended up getting spammed.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    He said something about younger men having great experiences with older men didn't he? If by younger men he meant 18/19 year olds then he's just talking about consenting adults really. He wasn't advocating sex with minors was he?

It certainly appears extremely questionable on first reading referring to the possible positive nature in ancient Greece of an 'older man introducing younger men or boy to adult life', he later said he was referring to people above the age of consent.

Although there is merit in other things he said in the same article on the same subject he should really come out and clairfy his position before going for President IMO.

That said he's probably the best of the bad bunch who seem to have been linked to the job already. Personally anyone getting the job should get it on the back of their experience and professional capabilities rather than on their personal lives. Norris might be a world class Joycean scholar but IMO it should be going to people qualified, through law, international politics, international organisations etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Here is the article
    In terms of classic paedophilia, as practised by the Greeks for example, where it is an older man introducing a younger man or boy to adult life, I think there can be something to be said for it. And in terms of North African experience this is endemic.
    Now again, this is not something that appeals to me, although when I was younger it would most certainly have appealed to me in the sense that I would have greatly relished the prospect of an older, attractive, mature man taking me under his wing, lovingly introducing me to sexual realities, and treating me with affection and teaching me about life - yes, I think that would be lovely; I would have enjoyed that."...

"But I think there is complete and utter hysteria about this subject, and there is also confusion between ... paedophilia and pederasty..."[David Norris clarified this later, explaining that genital sexual penetration of juveniles of either sex would be inappropiate and harmful]...

"In my opinion, the teacher, or Christian Brother, who puts his hand into a boy's pocket during a history lesson, that is one end of the spectrum. but then there is another: there is the person who attacks children of either sex, rapes them, brutalises them, and then murders them. But the way things are presented here it's almost as if they were all exactly the same and I don't think they are. and I have to tell you this -- I think that the children in some instances are more damaged by the condemnation than by the actual experience."

The right of unfettered sexual activity guided by the principle of mutual consent would be Norris's perception of the way things should be, with a bar only on intimidation, bullying or bribery. He did not appear to endorse any minimum age or endure any protest that a child was not capable of informed consent. "The law in this sphere should take in to account consent rather than age". When I asked about incest, he hesitated, and concluded that in the case of girls a case could be made for a ban, as possible resulting pregnancy might be genetically undesirable...

Advertisement