Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious crazies get the knives out for Norris' Presidency bid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

bronte wrote: »
    Oh gee thanks Prinz!

You're welcome. It was obvious you were going down a dead-end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

bronte wrote: »
    No artistic license for all then...how lovely.

God I hate this kind of double standard. As long as one is gay, or a member of a minority, one can get away with saying or producing stuff that the rest of us would be villified for. He had artistic license in writing the play, and I have license to point out the troubling aspects of it. Were a straight man to produce a play involving sex between a man and a 13 y/o girl, and do so in a way that attempted to romanticise such predation, then I would have a similar reaction, and I suspect you wouldn't have a problem with my criticisms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

prinz wrote: »
    You're welcome. It was obvious you were going down a dead-end.

Your humility, as always knows no bounds.

Someday I'll manage to achieve same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

Must be the same sort of thing as when people congratulate Stephen Fry for condemning the RCC for child abuse, and excuse Fry's own earlier play which involves a male teacher's sexual interest in a young teen boy. 'Pleasure lies between the thighs of a young boy' so it went..Must be nuanced.

It was a play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Einhard wrote: »
    God I hate this kind of double standard. As long as one is gay, or a member of a minority, one can get away with saying or producing stuff that the rest of us would be villified for. He had artistic license in writing the play, and I have license to point out the troubling aspects of it. Were a straight man to produce a play involving sex between a man and a 13 y/o girl, and do so in a way that attempted to romanticise such predation, then I would have a similar reaction, and I suspect you wouldn't have a problem with my criticisms.

Did you not get the memo? Stephen Fry is above criticism.

• Advertisement

More accurately, certain groups in society are above criticism.

optogirl wrote: »
    It was a play!

...and I am sure you'd be just as quick to defend it, had it been written by a member of the clergy. The underlying point being, there are things people have said/written that they should explain in more detail, the reasoning, the context, the background.

I don't think that was the point, but rather that Fry condemned child abuse, and yet wrote a play in which it was portrayed as a positive sexual experience.

For fictional characters and let's be honest - not all teacher/student relationships are 100% one-sided or unwelcome. The point being made here seems to be that writing a fictional account of something should preclude you from having an opinion on it - ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

He had artistic license in writing the play, and I have license to point out the troubling aspects of it. Were a straight man to produce a play involving sex between a man and a 13 y/o girl, and do so in a way that attempted to romanticise such predation, then I would have a similar reaction, and I suspect you wouldn't have a problem with my criticisms.

There's a classic novel called Lolita.

You may not have heard of it.

Lolita? On the Classic shelves in most bookshops

• Advertisement

For fictional characters and let's be honest - not all teacher/student relationships are 100% one-sided or unwelcome. The point being made here seems to be that writing a fictional account of something should preclude you from having an opinion on it - ridiculous.

:confused: Eh, no that's not the point that anyone has been making here. As for the former point re the 100% one-sidedness, I take it you feel that way about most adult-teen 'relationships'/abuse? Seeing as how the vast majority of child sex abuse actually relates to post-pubescent teens, what percentage would you say were welcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

These are the exact kind of morons that'll vote for that odious slimeball Bertie Ahern.

Lolita? On the Classics shelves of most bookshops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

info@campaignforconscience.org

It would be a terrible shame if this email address somehow ended up getting spammed.

Hopefully they will be all of a gay persuasion as well.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    There's a classic novel called Lolita.

You may not have heard of it.
    Lolita? On the Classic shelves in most bookshops

Not only have I heard of it, but I've read it too. Which obviously neither of you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

No one is stopping you criticising though.

:confused: Eh, no that's not the point that anyone has been making here. As for the former point re the 100% one-sidedness, I take it you feel that way about most adult-teen 'relationships'/abuse?

What does this post mean then?
    Must be the same sort of thing as when people congratulate Stephen Fry for condemning the RCC for child abuse, and excuse Fry's own earlier play which involves a male teacher's sexual interest in a young teen boy.

And with regard to most adult-teen relationships - No, I said NOT ALL are unwelcome. There are several cases of couples who go on to marry despite one of them having been the others teacher and even in some cases serving time for it. I didn't mention my personal feelings on it because I don't think you can judge every single case of this in exactly the same way. As usual Prinz, you like to pick and choose phrases to pounce on without actually reading people's posts.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    No one is stopping you criticising though.

I'm not demanding that his plays be censored or blacklisted.

Not only have I heard of it, but I've read it too. Which obviously neither of you have.

Obviously have I not? Where'd you get that from?

I have read it.

My point was it was written by a straight man about an adult having sex with an underage girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

I just reported the facebook site they have linked from their main web page. It seems to be for Enoch Burke he's listed as the "Administrator: Campaign for Conscience"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001766582603&v=wall

Ye should all report it.

• Advertisement

What? Is that supposed to be an insult? I have read it, not that it means anything. The point we were making is that there have been books written showing relationships like this as a pleasurable experience. That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Lolita? On the Classics shelves of most bookshops

I see you've discovered how to use copy and paste. Well done.

Don't presume. I have read it.

My point was it was written by a straight man about an adult having sex with an underage girl.

I presumed because nobody who's read Lolita could possibly compare it to a play which is "an honest - if misguided - effort to justify the sexual relationship between a 26-year-old teacher and a teenage boy." The relationship between Humbert and Lolita is a tragic and destructive one, and is never presented in a positive light. Humbert is a despicable character. I don't see how it can possibly be compared with a comic play in which a teacher sexually preys on a 13 y/o boy.

I see you've discovered how to use copy and paste. Well done.

Pardon?

What? Is that supposed to be an insult? I have read it, not that it means anything. The point we were making is that there have been books written showing relationships like this as a pleasurable experience. That's all.

You haven't read it. I know that because nobody who has read Lolita could possibly describe the relationship between Humbert and Lolita as a pleasurable one. That's the whole point of the novel. Humbert is a villainous character, but also a tragic one, and is destoryed by his lust for Lolita. It's the very antithesis of pleasure.

I presumed because nobody who's read Lolita could possibly compare it to a play which is "an honest - if misguided - effort to justify the sexual relationship between a 26-year-old teacher and a teenage boy." The relationship between Humbert and Lolita is a tragic and destructive one, and is never presented in a positive light. Humbert is a despicable character. I don't see how it can possibly be compared with a comic play in which a teacher sexually preys on a 13 y/o boy.

Of course they are comparable - aside from the fact that Lolita has her part to play in Humbert's seduction, the point was that a straight man DID write a book about the relationship between an adult male and a female child.

I haven't read the play so I have no idea how it portrays the teacher.

You haven't read it. I know that because nobody who has read Lolita could possibly describe the relationship between Humbert and Lolita as a pleasurable one. That's the whole point of the novel. Humbert is a villainous character, but also a tragic one, and is destoryed by his lust for Lolita. It's the very antithesis of pleasure.

I don't agree - I think it very cleverly depicts how Humbert's desires are manipulated by Lolita - of course he is villainous by virtue of acting on them, he is the adult after all, but it blurs the lines between precocious flirtation of a child and the sexuality of a woman

What does this post mean then?

Where did I say Stephen Fry must be precluded from having an opinion? :confused: THAT post refers specifically not to Stephen Fry but rather to the other people who will champion anything, on a shifting basis which basically boils down to a concept of 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'... well, that's not always the case.

As for the second part.... I asked you what percentage of such relationships you thought are welcome? If not all are unwelcome, hazard a guess at what 'not all' means? It's ironic that you would choose not to judge every single case the same way since that is exactly what others, Mr Fry included, seem addicted to doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I haven't read the play so I have no idea how it portrays the teacher.

The teacher is a grotesque, apparently. I was reading about it on google. Latin! or Boys and Tobacco. He's not painted remotely sympathetically.-That's from one review, another one calls it'Penned when Fry was a public school stripling, it's a toast to love and life and an honest - if misguided - effort to justify the sexual relationship between a 26-year-old teacher and a teenage boy.'

Advertisement