Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious crazies get the knives out for Norris' Presidency bid

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

rational wrote: »
    The man is an English scholor.

No he isn't. He has a bachelor of arts. He has no academic publications of merit. Just because he's a "Trinity Senator" doesn't mean he has any academic responsibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    Stick to the science mate.
    Whats wrong with what I said. Orthadox Jews live their lives according to the laws of the old testament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I love the way on the one hand people crib and moan about the Catholic Church from the outside, and on the other they feel themselves qualified to opine about how it should be run from the inside. The fact is that unless you study for seven years in a Catholic seminary, your hands will be kept well away from the levers.

I've no interest in getting anywhere near the levers. I was talking about the Christian church as a whole rather than just Catholicism (There are other churches in this country). Christianity in general has issues with preoccupying itself with sexuality rather than implementing the whole Gospel, which is to serve those around us rather than insisting that other people live the same way we do.

Ulysees Gaze: If you read the Irish Times article about their protest a few months ago you'll find they are non-Catholics.
    Enoch, who declined a place in medicine at University College Galway, is one of 10 children – all with biblical names – of Sean and Martina Burke from Castlebar, Co Mayo.His brother Isaac is in third-year science in Galway. Esther is working for her HDip. Ammi hopes to study languages. The family belong to no particular sect. “We’re just a Christian church,” says Martina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm all for his right to run, but he's a charlatan and a horrible little man who has no business being in this country

Why has he no business being in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Call it a hunch......

This kind of hunch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBhrpD1x8zo

• Advertisement

Jakkass wrote: »
    I've no interest in getting anywhere near the levers. I was talking about the Christian church as a whole rather than just Catholicism (There are other churches in this country). Christianity in general has issues with preoccupying itself with sexuality rather than implementing the whole Gospel, which is to serve those around us rather than insisting that other people live the same way we do.

Ulysees Gaze: If you read the Irish Times article about their protest a few months ago you'll find they are non-Catholics.

If you spend too much time reading obscure blogs and news reports, I can understand how you feel such preoccupations surrounding "sexuality" exist (could you please point to a recent Vatican document where the word "sexuality" is even used?). Maybe you're right - there's a conspiracy to control the sexual behaviour of the masses (perhaps they should take advice from the various State-funded bodies peddling condoms...). I'd suggest a daily walk to flush out the cobwebs. It's great for the thought processes, particularly the observations to precepts one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

^^ I'm not discussing the Vatican, I'm discussing Christianity in general. I never said that there was a "conspiracy" to control anything or anyone. I think a lot of Christians gloss over a lot of things in the Scriptures. I'm probably guilty of this too, but Christianity has a lot to say about every dimension of our living, not just in respect to sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

You're doing it wrong.

thanks for your input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

JohnathanM wrote: »
    God damn it, I thought this was about Chuck.

Chuck Norris the religious crazy? That Chuck Norris?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Chuck Norris as President. We can dream. :pac:

Isn't Chuck Norris a religious crazy who doesnt believe in evolution?

I'd rather have David Norris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Damn it beaten to it by PMan :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I love the way on the one hand people crib and moan about the Catholic Church from the outside, and on the other they feel themselves qualified to opine about how it should be run from the inside. The fact is that unless you study for seven years in a Catholic seminary, your hands will be kept well away from the levers.

Yutta, is that you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭markphillips

http://www.tallyman.ie/?p=898

This is an interview with Enoch where he goes as far as saying the Government should take away adopted children from gay people, as well as seemingly linking gays to straight marriage break-ups. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

antomagoo wrote: »
    Isn't Chuck Norris a religious crazy who doesnt believe in evolution?

Evolution stopped once Chuck Norris was created.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rational

No he isn't. He has a bachelor of arts. He has no academic publications of merit. Just because he's a "Trinity Senator" doesn't mean he has any academic responsibilities.

But he has a BA in English in fairness and is an expert on Joyce and was an english lecturer in Trinity. Hell what do I know other than he is a nice guy. I did not suggest that because he is a senator from trinity he has academic responsibilities.

antomagoo wrote: »
    a religious crazy who doesnt believe in evolution?

Heaven forbid! I mean to "believe" in "evolution" is a bit of a leap. It's just a theory. Personally, I don't believe that man evolved from a bacteria, nor from an ape for that matter. But if people do wish to believe in this, I say fair play to them and I wouldn't hold it against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

These people can suck my cock in the gayest way possible.
    Heaven forbid! I mean to "believe" in "evolution" is a bit of a leap. It's just a theory. Personally, I don't believe that man evolved from a bacteria, nor from an ape for that matter. But if people do wish to believe in this, I say fair play to them and I wouldn't hold it against them.

That weird theory with all the evidence backing it up. Crazy talk really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

How is it a bit of a leap to believe in evolution. Also humans are apes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

http://www.tallyman.ie/?p=898

This is an interview with Enoch where he goes as far as saying the Government should take away adopted children from gay people, as well as seemingly linking gays to straight marriage break-ups. :eek:

We come into your house, cast gay magic on people, and then run away with all your soft furnishings and husbands.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

It's a scientific fact. Just like the "theory" of gravity is, pull your head out of the sand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Ad hominem alert.

That's rich, given one of your earlier posts stated a reason you were not going to vote for Norris was the fact he was a self confessed 'Anglican Fairy'.

Seems like a perfect example of ad hominem to me.

meglome wrote: »
    That weird theory with all the evidence backing it up. Crazy talk really.

It's still a theory. No conclusive proof. Dogmatic evolutionists are just as dangerous to science as the dogmatic pseudo-scientists who come out with stuff such as "the big bang was the beginning of the universe". Thankfully, the scientific system is good at weeding out such views, but the scientific bodies have no control over ambitious pop scientists who like nothing more than standing on stages or in front of television cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

You do realise the Catholic Church have accepted evolution as fact?

And you're wrong in saying it's just a theory; the evidence behind it is so overwhelming that it's essentially regarded as a fact. The theory describes the mechanisms by which it occurs. People confuse this definition of "theory" with the colloquial one, but the latter would be more like a hypothesis in scientific terms.

R28 wrote: »
    Seems like a perfect example of ad hominem to me.

His words, not mine.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    You do realise the Catholic Church have accepted evolution as fact?

"fact". Mmm. I suppose you have a link to an official Vatican document there? They're certainly interested in what's going on in the world and value the opinions of certain elements of evolutionary theory. I don't think your view on what they have or have not accepted as "fact" is particularly reliable tbqh.

The Catholic Church are very interested in evolution as a scientific theory. The Church take a very keen interest in the goings-on of the scientific world (they even fund a lot of research themselves) and it's no surprise that they are interested in the work of respected evolutionary scientists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

It's still a theory. No conclusive proof. Dogmatic evolutionists are just as dangerous to science as the dogmatic pseudo-scientists who come out with stuff such as "the big bang was the beginning of the universe". Thankfully, the scientific system is good at weeding out such views, but the scientific bodies have no control over ambitious pop scientists who like nothing more than standing on stages or in front of television cameras.
    Do you realise you're deviating from your Church's line and buying into propaganda from young earth creationists who believe the earth is less than 10,000 years old and is orbited by the sun?

Craebear wrote: »
    It's a scientific fact.

Right... So man evolved from bacteria, which evolved from... Err...

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Do you realise you're deviating from your Church's line and buying into propaganda from young earth creationists who believe the earth is less than 10,000 years old and is orbited by the sun?

I'm not a young earth creationist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

It's open knowledge that the Catholic Church's position is one of theistic evolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Right... So man evolved from bacteria, which evolved from... Err...

.............Yutta :P

Advertisement