Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I called a disabled person a retard

• 26-10-2010 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

At the weekend there was a woman driver reversing out of a tight spot in town. After watching her for about 5 minutes reversing out of the spot, then back in, then reversing again to a point where she could finally get her car out.

Frustatingly I shouted out my window to her to " Hurry the **uk up you tard " but when she reversed out I noticed she had extra parts on her steering wheel as she was obviously disabled not to mention her window was opened.

So has that happened to anyone else before?

I obvioulsy didn't mean it as I didn't even know she was disabled and certainly didn't expect it, needless to say when she drove passed me I was gob smacked and looking in the opposite direction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Maybe she thought you said: "Hurry the **uk up you turd"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Why call anyone a retard in the 1st place?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Oh Larry David, whatever will you get up to next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Riiiiiiiiiight. So is your conscience eating away at you or are you just bragging about calling a disabled person a retard?

IBTL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

So it's alright to call a normal person a retard, but not a disabled person?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Oh Larry David, whatever will you get up to next?

That's pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Are you my Caucasian?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Normally when somebody is having trouble like that people offer to drive their car and finish the maneuver for them.
    That's what civilised people do.

In all seriousness though doesn't 'retard' refer to one's mental capabilities. If a person is physically handicapped then the derogatory term doesn't apply. They might get more offended by the fact that you thought they would get any more offended at being called a retard than an able-bodied person would.

D'ya get me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Frustatingly I shouted out my window to her to " Hurry the **uk up you tard " but when she reversed out I noticed she had extra parts on her steering wheel as she was obviously disabled not to mention her window was opened.
    I obvioulsy didn't mean it as I didn't even know she was disabled and certainly didn't expect it, needless to say when she drove passed me I was gob smacked and looking in the opposite direction.

What, you didn't mean to open your mouth and shout abuse at some other driver?
    Do you have Tourettes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

You shouldn't call someone a retard.. It's not nice, you capper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

flyton5 wrote: »
    Riiiiiiiiiight. So is your conscience eating away at you or are you just bragging about calling a disabled person a retard?

IBTL?

no, it's the conscience thing, don't think this is something to really brag about tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I lol'd :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

So it's alright to call a normal person a retard, but not a disabled person?

Yes, imo. Same with words 'idiot' and 'imbecile'. No longer a PC term to describe people with disabilities but perfectly acceptable to call others who act like idiots / tards those words.

In all seriousness though doesn't 'retard' refer to one's mental capabilities. If a person is physically handicapped then the derogatory term doesn't apply. They might get more offended by the fact that you thought they would get any more offended at being called a retard than an able-bodied person would.

D'ya get me?

I do'a get ye, you would make a good lawyer

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭pagancornflake

no, it's the conscience thing, don't think this is something to really brag about tbh

Then why are you posting about it here? Oo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

when she drove passed me I was gob smacked

Well at least her arms still work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

"THINE PARKING SKILLS ARE SORELY INADEQUATE MY GOOD WOMAN!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Feckin women drivers eh!

they are just as capable as men, in this case, disabled men.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

OP, Stop watching south park. :)

• Advertisement

I would but The Man says I got to get a piece of paper from City Hall before I'm allowed back in a court room. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The word retard also has other uses. It means to delay something. So technically you might have been talking about her slow, awful driving skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Having your lips welded together may reduce the possibility of a repeat offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Even if that driver was not disabled, they might not be great at parking and to have somebody roar out like you did would knock their confidence.

Were you born knowing how to drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Maybe she should drive better then. Don't expect to get a licence, drive like crap and then everyone go "Well aren't you great, driving by yourself"

kelle wrote: »
    Even if that driver was not disabled, they might not be great at parking and to have somebody roar out like you did would knock their confidence.

yes... yes I was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You should have driven after her at speed and stressed out the window that you meant a colloquial retard and not an actual one.

All in all, it would have been a most pleasingly Fawlty Towerish scene especially if the Gardai pulled you both over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

It's mad how words adopt new meanings and contexts. I used to use the term 'mong' to describe people who were being stupid, till I learned that 'mongoloid' is the proper term for the Asian and native American races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

El Pr0n wrote: »
    It's mad how words adopt new meanings and contexts. I used to use the term 'mong' to describe people who were being stupid, till I learned that 'mongoloid' is the proper term for the Asian and native American races.

It is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Originally Posted by kelle

yes... yes I was
    yes... yes I was

He came out doing donuts in second gear with the radio playing My Stupid Mouth by John Mayer at full blast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

sounds like someone is going to hell!

also so is anyone who sniggers at the words "flame retardant" or now that I mention it the word "sniggers"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

yes... yes I was

I can imagine what you looked like - Chucky at the wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Why call anyone a retard in the 1st place?!

+1 The OP sounds like a spastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

The OP sounds very undesirable, shouting rude words at random people!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

AH people are so kind and caring. They never call anyone names. Shame on you OP, you are worse than the government!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Hate it when I tell people i work with adults with Intellectual Disabilities

and they reply

"oh you mean retards"

Yeah, that's exactly what i meant :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Not you OP, just some relevant lyrics ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Only retards call other retards retard, retard!!

Does this mean I can call asians mogo's or mogoloids now......

score

/ runs out of work to find an asian

THFC wrote: »
    Only retards call other retards retard, retard!!

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I'm calling BS on this, nobody ever insults anyone in real life since the internet was invented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Oxford Online says:

Mongoloid...
    …relating to the broad division of humankind including the indigenous peoples of East Asia, SE Asia, and the Arctic region of North America…

So an Inuit may be Mongoloid, but a member of the Cherokee Nation (for example) is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo?
    :eek:

No:mad:!! Mine actually makes sense:pac:!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I used to call my sister a spa. That was when I was about nine years old though. There's really no excuse for anyone over the age of about fourteen to call anyone a retard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

You dont call retarded people "retards". Its bad taste. You call your friends "retards" when they're acting retarded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

I did something similiar yesterday and felt like a complete dickhead!!

People can make life alot harder than it should be

THFC wrote: »
    :eek:

No:mad:!! Mine actually makes sense:pac:!!

So does mine. ;)

See?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

knird evol wrote: »
    Normally when somebody is having trouble like that people offer to drive their car and finish the maneuver for them.
    That's what civilised people do.

Not on the Northside of Dublin anyway, Ye wouldn't see your car again..

'Ye wannna hand with your car there buddy/missus'

End of car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Giselle wrote: »
    So an Inuit may be Mongoloid, but a member of the Cherokee Nation (for example) is not.

Every day's a school day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Calling your friends all sorts of names (retard, spa, midget, nìgger, clithead, etc) is just part of being buddies and taking the piss out of each other. No hidden moral agendas towards any communities.

Calling strangers that sort of stuff is only for the sake of intimidating the person / looking for a scrap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement