Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I called a disabled person a retard

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Clithead

Clithead? Really?
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    So does mine. ;)

See?

:eek::eek::eek:

OMFG!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

At the weekend there was a woman driver reversing out of a tight spot in town. After watching her for about 5 minutes reversing out of the spot, then back in, then reversing again to a point where she could finally get her car out.

Frustatingly I shouted out my window to her to " Hurry the **uk up you tard " but when she reversed out I noticed she had extra parts on her steering wheel as she was obviously disabled not to mention her window was opened.

So has that happened to anyone else before?

I obvioulsy didn't mean it as I didn't even know she was disabled and certainly didn't expect it, needless to say when she drove passed me I was gob smacked and looking in the opposite direction.

.daol tekcub eht yb sniarb dna esnes evah uoy kniht I
    .gniht a hcus gniyas rof flesruoy eno ton era uoy taht dna - wef fo eno era uoy kniht I

...On second thoughts, reverse everything I just said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Biggins wrote: »
    .gniht a hcus gniyas rof flesruoy eno ton era uoy taht dna - wef fo eno era uoy kniht I

:D

BRILLIANT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

At the weekend there was a woman driver reversing out of a tight spot in town. After watching her for about 5 minutes reversing out of the spot, then back in, then reversing again to a point where she could finally get her car out.

Frustatingly I shouted out my window to her to " Hurry the **uk up you tard " but when she reversed out I noticed she had extra parts on her steering wheel as she was obviously disabled not to mention her window was opened.

I obvioulsy didn't mean it as I didn't even know she was disabled and certainly didn't expect it, needless to say when she drove passed me I was gob smacked and looking in the opposite direction.

What's wrong with you that you can't wait until she had managed to reverse her car?
    Why did you have to shout abuse at someone for taking 5 mins off your super important day?
    As you said yourself it was a tight spot, have you no basic manners, patience or common courtesy?

It only hits you what an upleasant person you are when you see she is actually disabled.
    Doesn't occur to you at all that your behaviour was obnoxious and unneccessary regardless who you were shouting at?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 kelly1939

It pays to think befour you speek:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Clithead? Really?
    :confused:

No, of course not. You got your thanks, though, for pointing it out.

curlzy wrote: »
    :D

BRILLIANT!
    lol noʎ ʞuɐɥʇ

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Montallie

I'm sorry, but there are no two ways about it - to even think such a thing, let alone say it, is horrible. It must be hard enough to have a mental or physical deficiency without having to put up with folk like you.

However, if you have learned a lesson from it, some good can come from this situation. Hopefully you will bend over backwards to be tolerant of others' slowness in future, whether they be disabled or not. And, since the cause of most of these situations is ignorance of what it's like to be disabled, you might consider doing some research on the problems faced by those who are and lobby the government to make things easier for them in their daily lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Was it worth it though??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

I wouldn't sweat it.She's probably conquered far greater obstacles in life than some off the cuff remark from you.If an able bodied person had been taking that long, she would have probably called them retards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

To be honest I think using the term "retard" reflects much more poorly on the person using the word than the person it's aimed at. It is offensive in my opinion but it's also such a "trailer trash" lazy use of a word. When I hear it I generally find myself thinking " there goes someone with a limited vocabulary who doesn't think much about what they're saying" and I presume the person is well...stupid.

THFC wrote: »
    Was it worth it though??
    :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

El Pr0n wrote: »
    It's mad how words adopt new meanings and contexts. I used to use the term 'mong' to describe people who were being stupid, till I learned that 'mongoloid' is the proper term for the Asian and native American races.

so you stopped using the term because it derived from the name for a race of people but not because mongoloid was the original term for someone with down syndrome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Chickenbrain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I posted here a few weeks ago about needing top class threads to keep AH alive...................you OP, well you've brought us back from the brink!!

To be honest I think using the term "retard" reflects much more poorly on the person using the word than the person it's aimed at. It is offensive in my opinion but it's also such a "trailer trash" lazy use of a word. When I hear it I generally find myself thinking " there goes someone with a limited vocabulary who doesn't think much about what they're saying" and I presume the person is well...stupid.

Nonsense.The use of one particular word cannot be an indicator of the breadth of one's vocabulary.

I use the word regularly and I've thought a great deal on where and when to deploy it.

The lazy speaking trailer trash you mentioned would be the very sort I would use the word on liberally.Sure I could whip up a ribrattling cocktail of witty disparagement, in the Wilde vein, but that would be like playing Beethovens 5th for your lawnmower, an utter waste of time.

Retard is a word that retards can comprehend, which makes it the most optimally suited word for the purpose of reminding the cretinous masses, that, despite having watched every soap opera and reality show on tv,they are mentally derelict commonalities that have nothing to contribute to a decent civilised intelligent society and thus can have no place within.

I have many many fine insults for those possessing the intellectual facilities to understand them.I will insult you in Sonnet form if you like.

But I refuse to waste a single letter or word more than is necessary to encapsulate my disgust for retards.That'd be fkin retarded like!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

IMHO

Retard is a derogatory term to describe people with disabilities

They find it HIGHLY offensive

The use of the word 'Retard' is vile

It is akin to calling someone a n****r !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

IMHO

And the word 'idiot', is that ok to use by your standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

IMHO

What do we say now? I'm sorry, but somewhere over the last twenty odd years, it's gone a bit like this...

-mentally retarded

-mentally impaired

-mentally challenged

-mentally ?????

My sister has Downs, and is technically, mentally impaired/retarded/challenged/whatever label you wanna use to say that she's not the same mental age as physical age. Sometimes we get too caught up in labels...personally, I use whatever word first pops into my head, so any of the above I have used about her over the years, and will do so in years to come!

OP, yeah, you probably feel like a bit of a (insert whatever word you deem appropriate here!) but these things in life happen.

Maybe next time you're about to shout at someone who's not moving as quickly as you'd hoped (and bear in mind, people who are reversing badly/slowly in their cars are either completely oblivious to or damn embarrassed by their inability to do it!) you'll just be a nice dude, and keep schtum...;)

I'm with these boys on this.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I thought the standard vernacular at the moment was to use the actual name of the disease, e.g. Down Syndrome. Or when specifically referring to the mental capacity the term "mentally handicapped" was the standard accepted phrase.

Afaik, you can't say handicapped anymore either. Or disabled. It's physically / mentally less abled.

So there you have it. Everyone is being insulting :mad:

WindSock wrote: »
    And the word 'idiot', is that ok to use by your standards?

Idiot is actually a 'medical/psychiatric' denotation.As is imbecile,cretin,moron.

Retard was adopted as a blanket term for these varying classifications of mental disability, as the aforementioned terms had become pejorative in their common use.

The term retard has by now been wholly rejected by the mentally impaired community and their representatives.They see it as inapplicable by virtue of it's accepted and original dictionary definition.

The medical establishment borrowed the R word without considering it fully.

It means to be slow or delayed or as in French, "en retard"- to be late.At best this would vaguely describe one probable symptom of mental impairment.It does not indicate the cause or mechanics of the phenomenon, rather, a negative effect.It's unscientific and unfortunate.

So the word has lost its 'psychiatric and medical' connotations.According to the Bosman Ruling, retard is now a freeagent and can be used to describe things that are actually retarded, as opposed to using it to misclassify people with a mental or physical impairment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

WindSock wrote: »
    Afaik, you can't say handicapped anymore either. Or disabled. It's physically / mentally less abled.

So there you have it. Everyone is being insulting :mad:

So what do you call a handicapped retard now?

Simon Cowell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

A waste of space.

Windowlicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Why call anyone a retard in the 1st place?!

cus it's funny

lamai wrote: »
    cus it's funny
    I suspect you might be in the minority there if you think that.
    And seriously, if thats the extent to what you call "funny", thank heavens my sense of humour differs from yours.

cus it's funny

Yeah - funny to retards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

so what shes disabled, its not your fault, also she was still driving badly, also not your fault.
    (maybe attributed to her disability but i know alot of "normal people" who drive bad)

your logic is flawed
    I called him a scabby Jew, but, if I knew he was Jewish I wouldnt of said it

Yeah - funny to retards.

Woow that's not PC

I suspect you might be in the minority there if you think that.
    And seriously, if thats the extent to what you call "funny", thank heavens my sense of humour differs from yours.

If I am honest I don't think it is hilarious, but it is commonly used. So don't try come across as being shocked that people call each other retards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I honestly didn't think so many adults thought making fun of the mentally handicapped was funny until I started using the internet.

If this was a thread about accidentally calling a black person a n****r it would have been closed by now. I guess some forms of prejudice are fine though.

Also it pisses me off that n****r is seen as a swear word that needs to be filtered but retard isn't. Not that I like either word, but that's my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

A lot of high horses in this thread

I honestly didn't think so many adults thought making fun of the mentally handicapped was funny until I started using the internet.

If this was a thread about accidentally calling a black person a n****r it would have been closed by now. I guess some forms of prejudice are fine though.

Also it pisses me off that n****r is seen as a swear word that needs to be filtered but retard isn't. Not that I like either word, but that's my point.

Agree 100%

If I am honest I don't think it is hilarious, but it is commonly used. So don't try come across as being shocked that people call each other retards

N****r was HILARIOUS 30 years ago too
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Charlie.

OisinT wrote: »
    I thought the standard vernacular at the moment was to use the actual name of the disease, e.g. Down Syndrome. Or when specifically referring to the mental capacity the term "mentally handicapped" was the standard accepted phrase.

I think it's intellectually disabled....could be wrong though

Has anyone seen Will Smith's new film, "I, Retard"?

• Advertisement

It's sad but true. But then again, there's no accounting for how f*cking stupid people are.

As I've already pointed out on this thread the word 'retard' doesn't even apply (in any form) to the person in the OP's story. The person was physically disabled not mentally retarded.

Well since retard is a word that has other uses besides the derogatory one it shouldn't be filtered out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

It's sad but true. But then again, there's no accounting for how f*cking stupid people are.

Would you really identify somebody as stupid due to their sense of humour?

I would. Ricky Gervais being a case in point.

I would. Ricky Gervais being a case in point.

Good point, except Ricky Gervais isn't stupid. Not even remotely so.

Good point, except Ricky Gervais isn't stupid. Not even remotely so.

Maybe not, but he is a bit retarded.

If someone thinks that mocking say a child with Down Syndrome is funny then yes I would class them as stupid.

• Advertisement

I'm not shocked, I am saddened however and don't find it funny as you do!

If someone thinks that mocking say a child with Down Syndrome is funny then yes I would class them as stupid.

That doesn't follow logically. You could call them insensitive perhaps, or differing to you in their sense of humour, but you can't call them stupid based on that alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Well since retard is a word that has other uses besides the derogatory one it shouldn't be filtered out.

N****r has other uses too. There's a colour called n****r brown (although I don't think it's used anymore). Actually the word simply meant black until it became a form of abuse.
    The origin of the word "******" is in the Latin "niger," meaning "black." The word, as "niger," entered into Spanish and Portuguese. Early Modern French obtained it from Portuguese where it became "negre" and "negro," respectively. English acquired the word from French, which was manifested in earlier English variants, such as "negar," "neegar," "neger," and "niggor." "Neger" is a current word in both Dutch and German, as well as Scandinavian languages.
    http://www.wordiq.com/definition/****_%28word%29

I don't think the actual word retard is bad in itself but usually in a thread like this it does end up as an excuse to make fun of the disabled, usually by the same people who pretend to be shocked by racial abuse.

N****r has other uses too. There's a colour called n****r brown (although I don't think it's used anymore). Actually the word simply meant black until it became a form of abuse.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/****_%28word%29

I don't think the actual word retard is bad in itself but usually in a thread like this it does end up as an excuse to make fun of the disabled, usually by the same people who pretend to be shocked by racial abuse.

Yeah but these days the word n****r is rarely used in any other form other than racially.

Whereas in chemistry things retard is still used widely as a verb.

That doesn't follow logically. You could call them insensitive perhaps, or differing to you in their sense of humour, but you can't call them stupid based on that alone.

Perhaps it's not logical but I'm going to go out on a limb and call them stupid anyway.

Not sure if there's many Mensa members sending around that f*cking 'I can count to potato' picture online, what do you think?

• Advertisement
Advertisement