Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do hurling helmets last?

Options
  • 26-10-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How do, doing a project in college about the durability and the suitability of a new design for a hurling helmet. I don't play myself so was wondering if anyone could tell me the standard life of any of the standard helmets out there (Marc, Cooper, etc.).

I mean, do you use them till they fail (cracks on the exterior), or do you stop using them after a certain amount of time regardless of how often they've been used or how little impacts they've taken?

Any help you could provide would be helpful, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Personally speaking, I wouldn't see the need to change my helmet unless it was broken. I've had my current helmet over 5 years now, although I was away for 2 of those years and didn't use it, and it's still in excellent condition. I'd expect a helmet to last a minimum of 5 years with normal wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

An Citeog wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I wouldn't see the need to change my helmet unless it was broken. I've had my current helmet over 5 years now, although I was away for 2 of those years and didn't use it, and it's still in excellent condition. I'd expect a helmet to last a minimum of 5 years with normal wear and tear.
    The Coopers website says discard every 4 years
    http://cooper.ie/?main_page=productspecifications
    I know that's probably just nit picking but seeing as though I'm writing up a specification I kinda need to adhere to it. But was just wondering for example, after 1 match, would there be 1 or more damaged helmets amongst all players? Just trying to get a scale of how often they need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

I had my old Mycro 8 years, and it was perfect.... I'd agree, just when it's broken:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

The Coopers website says discard every 4 years
    http://cooper.ie/?main_page=productspecifications
    I know that's probably just nit picking but seeing as though I'm writing up a specification I kinda need to adhere to it. But was just wondering for example, after 1 match, would there be 1 or more damaged helmets amongst all players? Just trying to get a scale of how often they need to be replaced.

That would be the very minimum length of time so to a)cover their asses re safety and b)sell as many helmets as possible. It's hard to put an exact scale on it tbh. I've never had to discard a helmet because it was broken. The faceguard may come loose and you'll get plenty of scratches on it but having to replace a helmet would be very rare from my experience. Definitely nowhere near 1 a match.

An Citeog wrote: »
    That would be the very minimum length of time so to a)cover their asses re safety and b)sell as many helmets as possible. It's hard to put an exact scale on it tbh. I've never had to discard a helmet because it was broken. The faceguard may come loose and you'll get plenty of scratches on it but having to replace a helmet would be very rare from my experience. Definitely nowhere near 1 a match.
    Cheers for that, puts a bit of a spanner in my report but I know now where to turn. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Everything would have to have a minimum life span to cover standards requirements, bit like how documentation in work would need to have a review sate, but in theory, once a helmet takes a strike it should be discarded, this goes for horse riding helmets, motor bike, cricket and whatever, but there's a big difference between what is supposed to happen and what does :)

BTW, the reason I know the above was cause I was out 1 day in England and there was cricket on, the batter took a ball to the head and they stopped the game to swap his helmet, of course I had to make the obvious jibe about how cricket is a silly sport with loads of breaks till it was explained to me that they have to swap them out to cover the insurance, they usually just take them back in a tighten the screws and make sure the padding/cage isn't damaged

Clareman wrote: »
    Everything would have to have a minimum life span to cover standards requirements, bit like how documentation in work would need to have a review sate, but in theory, once a helmet takes a strike it should be discarded, this goes for horse riding helmets, motor bike, cricket and whatever, but there's a big difference between what is supposed to happen and what does :)

BTW, the reason I know the above was cause I was out 1 day in England and there was cricket on, the batter took a ball to the head and they stopped the game to swap his helmet, of course I had to make the obvious jibe about how cricket is a silly sport with loads of breaks till it was explained to me that they have to swap them out to cover the insurance, they usually just take them back in a tighten the screws and make sure the padding/cage isn't damaged

hmmmm, interesting. That's kind of what I thought really. I know that majority of people won't throw them out when they get a knock but the fact that insurance could play a part in it gives my project a new spark of life, cheers. And also, thanks everyone for responding.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think the phrase would be "fit for purpose", but who would define that would be the tricky bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

I got a new Myrco helmet last year after forever getting cut on my jaw. It has still happened with the new helmet. I think they have a design fault and they should have added more bars for the chin section for more protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Get that Cooper figure of 4 years, multiply it by about 5 and add in a nice crack and you have my helmet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

peabutler wrote: »
    Get that Cooper figure of 4 years, multiply it by about 5 and add in a nice crack and you have my helmet.

Yep - one of the lads i train with uses a piece of gaffer tape to keep his helmet together. its cracked right down the middle after some mullocher pulled down on his head.

I guess the same helmets may have different lifespans depending on which county you play in. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ks652

I have an original yellow cooper. Its much older than me....and im 25!!! :eek:

Still perfect!

Advertisement