Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just curious-what compact do you own?

• 26-10-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a Pentax K-X and a Panasonic ZS3 (compact superzoom).
    I keep the Panasonic with me in the car and on me whenever I don't have my DSLR with me.
    I'm going to change it for a compact with full manual controls. I've put (suprise, suprise) a lot of research into it and handled a lot of cameras instore. I have my mind made up ( I think); the Samsung EX-1

There seems to be two options-go for a top end but small zoom camera; I know ideally it'd be own one of each.
    Top end ones: Canon S95, G12, Panasonic LX5, Nikon P7000, Samsung EX1 etc or go for a longer zoom but worse in low light/slower aperture and less IQ; Panasonic TZ/ZS series, Casio EX-FH100 or similar.
    The Sony NEX, four thirds cameras are too big once you have a zoom lens on it I think.

All have thier pluses, if there was a pocketable top end one with slightly larger zoom it'd sell like hotcakes I'd imagine.
    The S95 is very pocketable which is a big advantage if you want to have it on your person (in jeans).
    The LX5 can take an EVF, which you might or mightn't use. It's expensive.
    The EX1 has a swivel screen and great screen resolution.
    Some of the top ends are slightly too big for jeans (G12, P7000) and some fit just about (LX5, EX1).

I'm just curious what compact you own, did you go for the longer zoom or top end camera but smaller zoom, do you miss the long zoom, if it's not pocketable do you miss that etc.
    Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Olympus Stylus epic for me, film camera and a wonderful fixed 35mm f2.8 lens and it's tiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I have an Olympus XA and a Minolta Freedom Zoom 90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I have a Canon IXUS 75 for nights out and a Casio EX-G1 for watersports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Panasonic Lumix of some kinda with a Leica lens. I used to have a Pentax M50, but someone stole it last chrimbo. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Canon Ixus 75 - still love it. Bring it pretty much everywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Nikon Coolpix. Great little camera. Software is a bit iffy but the image quality is good for a compact and it's nice and small which is what I got it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Just the Sony Cybershot, have had it since 2003 and it still works a charm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Canon g10 (and underwater housing) and G11 ...and a fujifilm f31 (with underwater housing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Canon G9

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Canon Ixus 85 IS, goes almost everywhere with me. Gigs an all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

One of the Casio Elixims from years ago, it's great, built like tank and going strong still!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Canon g11,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Samsung NV10. Fantastic little camera with great picture quality, built in editing software, great optical zoon and a pop up flash that automatically opens if needed. Best part about it is that it was a steal off Adverts.ie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Canon Ixus 100. Lovely little camera, stays in handbag for emergency photos. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Canon SX210

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Panasonic TZ5.Brilliant camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Pentax optio ws80 waterproof - sitting at home.

Sony DSC H5 - Leave it in my apartment abroad.

Canon IXUS 100 IS - got dropped 2 weeks ago, lens is stuck.

Casio Exilim EX-FC160S - got stolen recently on a night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

very mixed bunch of cameras! Is it that people splash out on their dslrs and buy any kind of compact or bought one years ago and still working? I expected there to be moge Canon G or S series cameras and Panasonic LX3's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ice cubed

swingking wrote: »
    Canon g11,
    Me too.

Advertisement