Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's broadband roll out plans

Options
  • 26-10-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what eircom's plans are for enabling broadband in the exchanges that aren't yet enabled? Will they ever enable them? Surely the cost of upgrading the exchanges must be a whole lot less than it was a few years back when they started?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

kevinmcc wrote: »
    Anyone know what eircom's plans are for enabling broadband in the exchanges that aren't yet enabled?

That depends on what you mean by upgrade...
    No plans to enable the rest unless pressure is brought to bear(afaik)
    NGB will be rolled out, more money for the same old crap.
    FTTC was abandoned (afaik)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

the implied association of the words broadband and Eircom in a sentence always make me laugh, then cry, then curse... they do wonders for my heart!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 54,358 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

is there any plans for NGB ?

OP some advice

I live in a small village and we finally got broadband a few months back. We got it by showing eircom that there would be plenty of customers for them. Its a small village but the population is pretty good and with that in mind a local TD started a petition to get broadband in out area and it finally worked

My advice to get a nearby poliction involved and get plenty of support from your local area

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CelticTigress

I'll never get broadband from Eirscam now. We are, supposedly, now in an NBS area which is a cop-out if ever I heard one.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

I'll never get broadband from Eirscam now. We are, supposedly, now in an NBS area which is a cop-out if ever I heard one.

I'm also in the same boat, except our exchange was on the 'A to Z' list supposed to be upgraded to DSL at the latest by Q1 2009. Then it was October '09.

Then the target to get them all upgraded by the end of 2009 was removed from the website - to be replaced with 'eircom plans to upgrade the following exchanges'.

There hasn't been any exchange announced as being upgraded since early September. I honestly believe we will never see DSL now. :(

Curiously, we had our '3' mast erected and enabled in two months, going live on Stephens' Day '09.

It may not be broadband, but it is internet. Unlike some *glare*.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Internet is better than no Internet.

The best hope is a change of government policy and universal fibre roll out. It's absolutely feasible and economic. It's only vested interests that don't beleive it.

It will even make Mobile cheaper and x4 better for Mobile Internet! http://www.techtir.ie/comms/fibre-helps-mobile

Advertisement