Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mineral Oil

• 26-10-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a mineral oil like Pedros Road Rage. Any suggestions for something that is still available?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

I picked up a bottle on ebay during the summer, got it from boatdrinks_2002, strange mix of items he has for sale but that was one of them. I wanted it to relube pawls on a Mavic freehub, having read somewhere that a Chemist would stock mineral oil I tried a few in Dublin, I was repeatedly advised that paraffin oil was mineral oil and that it could be used as such. No idea whether that's correct or not, I kept trying and in the end got my hands on the Road Rage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

50ml of Shimano Mineral oil is €14 on Wiggle.

Interestingly:

"While not everyone is aware, baby oil is simply mineral oil that has been enhanced with a small amount of fragrance. "

Interesting, €14 is a bit steep for 50 ml no? I think the bottle of Road Rage I got was under a tenner delivered, not sure what size it is but I'd guess 250ml...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

Most common light grade mineral suitable for bicycle lubrication possibly 3 in 1 oil available from most hardware stores. Do not use baby oil or the like for this purpose as it is not mineral oil and not designed for this purpose.
    Up to recent years mineral oil was all that was available for bicycle lubrication, while us long distance pedallers lubricated chains by boiling in heavier EP80/SAE30 gear oil. I find that synthetic oil is much better for the purpose and doesn't collect as much dirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Al Wright wrote: »
    Most common light grade mineral suitable for bicycle lubrication possibly 3 in 1 oil available from most hardware stores. Do not use baby oil or the like for this purpose as it is not mineral oil and not designed for this purpose.
    Up to recent years mineral oil was all that was available for bicycle lubrication, while us long distance pedallers lubricated chains by boiling in heavier EP80/SAE30 gear oil. I find that synthetic oil is much better for the purpose and doesn't collect as much dirt

Not for a chain, for a nylon brushing in a Mavic freehub. Will keep looking

• Advertisement

If it's for a freehub I'm guessing you don't need a huge amount of it, if you can figure out a suitable container for 30ml or so I don't mind sharing some, I know it was a pain in the arse for me to get so I know the feeling!

I'm in Dublin 18 or Dublin 2, if you want some just shout...

Advertisement