Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do ye think ?

• 26-10-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

hi there,

am not too up in my knowledge of bikes.. but am going to get something decent for commuting etc.. and wanna get a hybrid... have looked at "giants" and a few other makes.

http://www.thinkbike.ie/bike_shop/2011_TREK_7_5.aspx - this is the one i'm liking..have taken for a test run and its a beaut.. It's a bit more than i was planning on spending but as i'll be commuting a lot i think its worth paying a bit extra for a higher spec.

A couple of mates have said you pay extra for the "trek" name.. which is prob true but having checked reviews they seem to be top quality...

Any opinions advice ?
    Would I be better going for a lapierre/giant for about €700 - €750

many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I have the 2010 model myself and I can't say a bad word about it, if you're using it solely for commuting it's great and I've used it in a couple of adventure races over the year and it's taken a bit of a beating and held out well.

However I heard a while back, and can now see through the link you posted, that the price would be going up a ridiculous amount for the 2011 model (as well as most other Treks), I paid only around €700/€750 for my one, don't think I'd pay €935. I'm in the process of purchasing a road bike for next year and there's better value to be had that than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

More than likely the brands you mentioned will have similar components at that level, have a look across the brands and compare them. A quick google will tell you if the differences are note worthy. Biggest concern is that you get the right bike for the job, that you get properly fitted for it including making sure the big is the right size and take a couple of bikes for a test run and see! Guessing you won't see much difference so then it comes down to personal choice. Trek and Giant will prob hold there resale value a little better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

nottooxabi wrote: »
    hi there,

am not too up in my knowledge of bikes.. but am going to get something decent for commuting etc.. and wanna get a hybrid... have looked at "giants" and a few other makes.

http://www.thinkbike.ie/bike_shop/2011_TREK_7_5.aspx - this is the one i'm liking..have taken for a test run and its a beaut.. It's a bit more than i was planning on spending but as i'll be commuting a lot i think its worth paying a bit extra for a higher spec.

A couple of mates have said you pay extra for the "trek" name.. which is prob true but having checked reviews they seem to be top quality...

Any opinions advice ?
    Would I be better going for a lapierre/giant for about €700 - €750

many thanks

Wouldn't this be a better buy:
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_502559_langId_-1_categoryId_212377

its 875 now, but someone mentioned that there may well be 10% off at the weekend, meaning 787.50, if you know someone with AXA insurance, you will get a further 15% off bringing it down to 670 euro, and you get a 30 euro voucher for accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nottooxabi

thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭doc1976

I had a Giant Rapid 3 which cost me €675. You could be doin well to find a 2010 model at this stage (the 2011 is around the €800 mark).

I loved the bike, it was quick, light and the flat handlebars suited me as I was used to cycling a mtb.

Shame it was robbed!!!

Make sure you get a couple of quality locks, was speaking to a cop the other day who said they get at least one report a day of a stolen bike in their station.

• Advertisement

doc1976 wrote: »
    I had a Giant Rapid 3 which cost me €675. You could be doin well to find a 2010 model at this stage (the 2011 is around the €800 mark).

I loved the bike, it was quick, light and the flat handlebars suited me as I was used to cycling a mtb.

Shame it was robbed!!!

Make sure you get a couple of quality locks, was speaking to a cop the other day who said they get at least one report a day of a stolen bike in their station.

Hi,

Sorry about your bike being nicked, what type of lock were you using and where did it happen?

Cheers

Had a cable lock...(Didn't know or was told that I would be better wrapping a piece of tissue around my bike)

Top of Grafton St in broad daylight, if I ever find the bo**ix!!!

doc1976 wrote: »
    Had a cable lock...(Didn't know or was told that I would be better wrapping a piece of tissue around my bike)

Top of Grafton St in broad daylight, if I ever find the bo**ix!!!

Jeez, I'd say you were gutted..did you park it around the same place every day? I'll be locking my new bike around there too, be using a kryptonite new york,or a magnum mini coupled with a cheap cable for the front wheel...am I being a bit naive thinking that should do the trick!?hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭denisor

If your looking at dipping €935 on a Trek, you might want to consider a 2010 Trek Soho.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/sohodlx/
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/soho-2010-hybrid-bike-ec018403

I think the list price is 1050 but any local bike shop such as Hollingsworth in Templeouge will take 10% off list price.

I bought mine in McDonald Cycles Rathgar and received a bigger discount. They have a 20" in stock to test ride, and it took only 24hrs to get the right 22.5" size frame in from the Trek distributors.

I wanted a bike with mudguards, internal gears and lightweight as I will be using it in both wet and dry weather, and I wanted to tow a trailer at the weekend with 2 kids in it.

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/53/cts45/croozer-kid-for-2-2010.html

The bike is a belt drive, there is no chain, it doesn't not need oiling. Its a very tight cycle, and its 100% silent, the brakes are internal drums (the new model 2011 €1350 has a disk brake to the front) Some reviews say the drums are weaker brakes, and they are a little, but they don't fade in the wet as they are maintenance free and internal. The bike is utterly silent, no clicks freewheeling, nothing, the gear changes when its tuned right are slick and silent, the bell you get is about the only noise the bike can make. I needed to slightly adjust my gears after a few days, due to cable stretch, you go to 4th gear and twist the dial on the handlebars to line up 2 yellow dots on the rear sprocket, and thats it.

Its worth nothing you can change gear stationary without pedaling with an internal hub, this is great at traffic lights, and perfect with a trailer, as funny as this sounds, this is really like an automatic car, you just work up the 8 gears on one hand, and revert to 1st at a red light. and back to 8 again.

I would never tell anyone how to suck eggs, but before you spend your €935 on that bike, consider a trip to Rathgar to test ride the Soho belt drive. Be sure to let me know your thoughts if you do try it out.

(i've no connection with the McDonald Cycles either, but I had an excellent experience buying there, and so I'm happy to recommend)

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Jeez, I'd say you were gutted..did you park it around the same place every day? I'll be locking my new bike around there too, be using a kryptonite new york,or a magnum mini coupled with a cheap cable for the front wheel...am I being a bit naive thinking that should do the trick!?hmmm

I've read that you should lock your bike with 3 different branded locks, the idea is that the thief wont have the equipment to rob all 3.

Mine was robbed outside permanent tsb/reiss, cctv is blocked by the two telephone box's so wouldnt bother that side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭JonDoe

Maybe this would suit,
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/16281/Ridgeback_Quest_29Inch_Bike_2008
    Some cheap parts but with the price difference you can replace when worn out, with big tyres you can just plough through that pot hole, not sure if it'll take racks but I do know the fork is ok.

Advertisement