Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Irish

Options
  • 26-10-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Illegal Irish in America, what's the story here? I know a few people living over there that went on a holiday so to speak and never came back and are working there.. I was just wondering what would happen to these people if they tried coming back? Or if they got caught over there? Anyone any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Coming back to Ireland is no problem, you are not going to get hassled on leaving the USA. But you'd be barred from going back to the USA- how long depends on how long you overstayed in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

Would you not be kept for questioning when leaving america or anything? how would you be notified about your ban etc..?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I've know people who go over and work every summer who didnt seem to having any trouble going back. I supose as long as you dont overstay the tourist visa nobody would notice?

we're probably close to the edge of whats acceptable on this forum though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

If you overstay by 90 days or overstay your VISA, you are an illegal immigrant. You will be allowed leave (as in they won't even notice) but they will know when you try to go back to the US. You will be detained and questioned and then you more than likely will be banned from entering the US for 10 years. They are incredibly strict so anyone trying to be illegal in the US may as well say goodbye to ever coming back to Ireland for a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

You can be deported if your caught- There was a story a few months back on the Gerry Ryan Radio show where a girl came on and was complaining about being deported , she and her boyfriend had illegally overstayed in the states the story was they were on a train to Florida (from what I remember) but the immigration got on the train and where taking off people (mexicans etc). Anyway to make a long story short they were arrested and taken into custody and she couldn't understand why she was treated like a criminal (she was complaining they were only trying to make a better life boo hoo). In the end he had no sympathy for her and pointed out the process is long and expensive for people who go through it and what gave her the right when others had to do it that way.From what I remember she was banned from entering the US for a number of years.

• Advertisement

Yeah I understand, but in other words if your not going for an internship type visa, there is no way you can go over and work there for a year legally then?

Dannyboi3k wrote: »
    Yeah I understand, but in other words if your not going for an internship type visa, there is no way you can go over and work there for a year legally then?
    Why don't you try the DV lottery? I think its still open.I wouldn't advise going illegally it sems to be tightening up every time we go to the states (really checking passports thoroughly)- if you do it and can you live there knowing that you can't come back as it will be caught at immigration going back to the US. I have heard a story about someone illegal that couldn't come home for a parents funeral!This is something you have to think about.

Don't you have to be in a trade for the DV lottery though? Is it as strict as applying for a Visa ?

Don't you have to be in a trade for the DV lottery though? Is it as strict as applying for a Visa ?
    You have to have a minimum of Leaving cert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Illegal Irish in America, what's the story here? I know a few people living over there that went on a holiday so to speak and never came back and are working there..

Please read the charter before posting in the future.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement