Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XBox - Which one??

• 26-10-2010 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hey Lads,

Wondering if you can help?! I'm thinking of buying my boyfriend an XBox for xmas. He's got the PS3 and loads of games for it (and spends endless hours on it!) but I think he'd like Alan Wake and as far as I'm aware, you can only get that on X?

I've had a look and I can see the following bundles/offers - can any of you steer me in the best direction please? This will be secondary to the PS3 so I don't need all the live functions, just a good playable console that can cope with the memory of a few games at once.

XBox x360 4gb + Extra Controller + Fifa 11 (€210)
    XBox 360 4gb + One Game (€220)
    XBox 360 Elite - €170
    Alan Wake Game on Play.com - €25

With the first option, he'd get two games at least, for €235 - AW and Fifa 11.
    Whats the difference between the X360 and the Elite? Do they have the same function? Would there be more 'saveability' on the 4gb? Won't be using it for Photos/external storage, just for game-save.

The cheapest is the Elite, but it seems very cheap, and as I said, this would be a secondary console, rather than his main one?! What are your thoughts?

Help a girl in need

Thanks a million,

:D

p.s - If you get old XBox Games, can they be played on the 360? I'm thinking Fahrenheit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is that the old elite for €170? If so, from the sound of your requirements that would be the on to go for. The 4gb is difficult to recommend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5685619.htm

Its this one? Though I've noticed a problem though.....it appears to be 'out of stock' everywhere, so they're 'suggesting' the 250gb (:eek:) as an alternative!! Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

theteal wrote: »
    Is that the old elite for €170? If so, from the sound of your requirements that would be the on to go for. The 4gb is difficult to recommend
    I wouldn't really recommend the old style xbox's simply because they break the whole time. I believe the new Slim xbox has sorted out the red ring of death, is much quieter, has WiFi enabled. I'd recommend getting the new one to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Basically the Eilte was the best of the previous model (before the slim XBOX was released). There will be 120GB or possibly 250GB on the Elite, plenty of space. For a secondary console, this will do fine. The new Slim is available in 4GB (avoid) or 250GB models. If you look to getting the Slim get the 250GB, a 4GB console, secondary or not, will píss of an avid PS3 gamer to no end!

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Forgot about the Slim having the WiFi built-in (I just take it for granted at this stage!). If he's likely to go online at all it'll have to be the Slim, the adapter for the Elite will set you back at least €40 or more and as it all adds up the Slim 250GB will probably make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

niallon wrote: »
    Basically the Eilte was the best of the previous model (before the slim XBOX was released). There will be 120GB or possibly 250GB on the Elite, plenty of space. For a secondary console, this will do fine. The new Slim is available in 4GB (avoid) or 250GB models. If you look to getting the Slim get the 250GB, a 4GB console, secondary or not, will píss of an avid PS3 gamer to no end!

Hope this helps!
    Don't see the point in wasting your time getting a huge HDD when M$ don't even allow you to store movies on it. And now flash memory drives are compatible with xbox's so its pointless getting a huge hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

clonadlad wrote: »
    I wouldn't really recommend the old style xbox's simply because they break the whole time. I believe the new Slim xbox has sorted out the red ring of death, is much quieter, has WiFi enabled. I'd recommend getting the new one to be honest.

Any elites still available would surely be jasper models, I'd have no qualms about reliability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Don't see the point in wasting your time getting a huge HDD when M$ don't even allow you to store movies on it. And now flash memory drives are compatible with xbox's so its pointless getting a huge hard drive.

flash drives might be compatible but ask Halo Reach owners who had these consoles and couldn't play the online portion until MS released a fix for it.
    Better off to pay the extra money for the slim version (way way quieter than the elite)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Noise mainly, Elites and Slims both work quietest with the games installed. My main reason anyway. And the Halo Reach issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Don't listen to clonadlad, he's talking out the wrong hole :P

It doesn't matter whether you get an elite or an arcade as far as the console goes, you just need to make sure you pick up a Jasper revision. Look at the hole in the box which displays the sticker on the back of the console. You are looking for a console made in 2009 or 2010. To be sure you could also check how many amps it draws though this will be tough from the little hole. You'll be looking for one drawing 12.1A, other values are 14.2A or 16.5A, so avoid them :)

1230639901_2_xbox_360_jasper_identify.jpg

Now, colour comes into it. White vs Black, some elites are Black :) And then storage. I recommend at least a 60GB hard drive so you can install games to the drive to reduce noise and wear on the DVD drive laser caused by constant loading. You will still require the disc to play, but it's much better. 20GB can take maybe 3 games with savegames which would be all right for kids but your friend sounds like a gamer so 60GB+. I'm more inclined to go with 120GB+ myself.

Hard drives can be bought later if you get the 20GB for him and let him upgrade later if money is an issue.

Shop around for the best deal on the old consoles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Jeebus, all the gal wants is to buy the b/f an XBOX.

Why confuse her with Jaspers, drawing amps, and crap? FFS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cheevo Hunter

True True! In my opnion you should go with the new Xbox360s. 'DONT' get the 4gb! Avoid it like the damn plague! Find a bundle deal for the 250gb and you can pick up Alan Wake cheap these days,also you could get him some microsoft points so he could get the downloadable content for it :P

And yeah he can download Fahrenheit for the game marketplace. And there will be a month free Gold subscription once he starts it all up.

Good job with keeping an eye on what games he likes!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

"Jesus, all the girl wants to buy her boyfriend is a car. Why confuse her by telling her to avoid the crashed ones or the bangers". That is what your statement boils down to and it isn't helpful. :rolleyes:

The OP doesn't have to know what a Jasper is, or even what it does. She just needs to look for the signs that she's getting one, which I've posted above.

Jasper models offer the best trade-off between price and reliability. If she gets one of the older models then she could be buying herself trouble.

My post was intended to aid the OP, whereas your one was made to do what? Exactly, it was unhelpful and you shouldn't have bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Silcocky wrote: »
    Hey Lads, This will be secondary to the PS3 so I don't need all the live functions, just a good playable console that can cope with the memory of a few games at once.

dont be so sure about this also. he might grow to like the 360 more after playing it for a while and the ps3 might turn into a blueray player

its probably wel worth going for the slim. and when you're buying it take 40 euro off the price in your head because as someone else said its got the wifi built in and if you went for the older model you would be adding that to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

garv123 wrote: »
    dont be so sure about this also. he might grow to like the 360 more after playing it for a while and the ps3 might turn into a blueray player

its probably wel worth going for the slim. and when you're buying it take 40 euro off the price in your head because as someone else said its got the wifi built in and if you went for the older model you would be adding that to it

i picked up a second hand 250gb slim, three months old with 5 games and receipt for 200e. another option within your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

(ahem) Santy is looking into investing in either an xbox of PS3 for a 10 year old lad (with 7 year old sister and 30 something year old ould lad;)) who is a vetern of ps2 and wii etc. I'm assuming cause its an Xbox forum ye prefer xbox but why? which consol is more versatile/hard wearing etc? is there a trade off with graphics v game speed etc????? any help or advce would be appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

(ahem) Santy is looking into investing in either an xbox of PS3 for a 10 year old lad (with 7 year old sister and 30 something year old ould lad;)) who is a vetern of ps2 and wii etc. I'm assuming cause its an Xbox forum ye prefer xbox but why? which consol is more versatile/hard wearing etc? is there a trade off with graphics v game speed etc????? any help or advce would be appreciated

your not alowed start a debate about xbox v ps3 or you'l have this thread locked:p:p

i'd like em both if i could afford them though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

Hey Lads,

Sorry for the delay in thanking you for all the info - still trying to decide what to do....!
    Think I might stretch to the 250 though!

Thanks a mill
    :D

Advertisement