Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to lock bike

• 26-10-2010 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi, I am going to be buying a moped just for running around to work on etc.. (fed up with traffic in the car) and was just looking for some advice in regard the best way to lock it up at night. I have no side gate so would have to bring it through the house everynight to lock it up and was considering locking it outside on the driveway and was wondering what the most secure way to lock the bike up would be. I am looking at a bike that comes with a disc lock and chain lock but what else would people advise?

thanks in advance lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Locking it to something secure, otherwise your bike can just be lifted into a van, taken away and the locks removed somewhere where no-one can see it being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lennyboy

argos sell this - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0383088/Trail/searchtext%3EMOTORCYCLE+ACCESORIES.htm

would this be recommended?

either that or i could chain it to the car tyre through the alloys?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Get a Ground Anchor make sure it's SoldSecure or Thatcham approved. And buy another approved chain, you want to make your bike too much hassle to steal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lennyboy

thanks del,im in a rented house if i was to move can they be removed from outside the house do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lennyboy wrote: »
    thanks del,im in a rented house if i was to move can they be removed from outside the house do you know?

The point is that they can't be removed.

Usually they give you a ball bearing to hammer into the allen bolt to make it secure. You can leave the ball bearing out and deter most scumbags or you can put the ball bearing in and cut the heads off with an angle grinder when moving. You can buy more bolts and ball bearings when moving.

If you are going to be moving just buy a cheaper one and leave it, if someone really wants your bike they will get it so the anchor is just to make them move on to an easier bike.

Make sure your land lord is OK with you drilling(damaging) the wall/footpath of their house. Otherwise you'll have to lock it to the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Lennyboy wrote: »
    argos sell this - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0383088/Trail/searchtext%3EMOTORCYCLE+ACCESORIES.htm

would this be recommended?

either that or i could chain it to the car tyre through the alloys?

thanks

Anything for a motorycle that is sold out of an Argus catalogue may as well come from a lucky bag. (Same goes for all the rubbish sold at Aldi & Lidl)

Like buying a good lid for your skull, how much do you treasure your bike?

I would only recommend the best, ie Abus or Almax It may cost you an arm and a leg but at least you will get a good night kip with your scoot well secured outside. :p

My brother once lived in a dodgy area of Cork and he use to bring the bike into the house at night. That was until the landlord found out. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Best way to keep a bike secure is to keep it out of sight. I keep mine behind a hedge and you can really only see it if directly outside the garden.

If you can't keep it hidden, then alarm/immobiliser with a ground anchor is the best you can do.

If a ground anchor is not possible (rented property etc), then try lock it to railings/gate/post etc.

Otherwise, just stick two disk locks & a very thick chain on it and pray.

A cctv camera (even a dummy one) located at 1st floor level can act as a great deterrent also.

Of course, you could just chain a great big vicious looking dog to your bike. I'd say that's very effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Best way to keep a bike secure is to keep it out of sight. I keep mine behind a hedge and you can really only see it if directly outside the garden.

If you can't keep it hidden, then alarm/immobiliser with a ground anchor is the best you can do.

If a ground anchor is not possible (rented property etc), then try lock it to railings/gate/post etc.

Otherwise, just stick two disk locks & a very thick chain on it and pray.

A cctv camera (even a dummy one) located at 1st floor level can act as a great deterrent also.

Of course, you could just chain a great big vicious looking dog to your bike. I'd say that's very effective.
    Mate of mine kept a Blade in a shed in his back garden in South Dublin. Scumbags must have been watching hims movements as it was swiped just after 8pm when he was watching TV. There was no way anyone would have known unless they were following him. He got it back eventually in a mess. A curse was passed on to the culprit and his mother. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jeremyr62

Invest in a quality lock and chain and make sure you wrap it around the bike so access is limited, try not to have it lying on the ground as this can make cropping it easier. Any chain with a link diameter less than 16 mm can be cropped using (big) bolt croppers. I have no affilation but ALMAX (http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/) do make decent stuff. I have two of their chains. It does look expensive but when you have gone out to get your bike and it isn't there you will regret not spending on security. Been there got the t shirt.

As regards a "non- permanent" ground anchor, google "bucket of crete". This is a bucket and a ground anchor or steel reinforced hole with the concrete poured around the anchor to fix it in place. Seems to work OK as the scrotes have to manhandle the bike and the concrete to shift your bike.

Advertisement