Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iBood 26th Oct - €53 incl. post: 2 x Netgear 5GHz Wireless-N HD Access Point/Bridge

Options
  • 26-10-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

4374_v5_hi_1260879908.jpg

Netgear 5GHz Wireless-N HD Gaming & Networking Kit

* Brand: Netgear
    * Type: WNHDEB111-100UKS
    * Netgear 5GHz Wireless-N HD Gaming & Networking Kit
    * 2 Access Points
    * 5GHz frequency band prevents disturbances and interruptions while connected
    * Specially tuned Wireless N bridge to setup your own bandstream
    * Substitute for a Ethernet cable
    * Highly reliable HD-content and HD-game streaming
    * Wireless N access point with 6 built-in antennae
    * Wireless speeds of up to 300Mb/sec for superior performance
    * Ideal for streaming: Xbox, Playstation, Wii or Slingbox (built-in QoS)
    * Plug and Play Installation for automatic configuration
    * Create a wireless-N network by connecting the device to an existing wired or wireless router
    * Standards: IEEE802.11n draft specification, IEEE 802.11a, 5.0 GHz
    * Fitted with a Push ’N’ Connect button for hassle-free securing of your network
    * Remembering your security password is not required
    * Supports wireless ad-hoc mode for wireless LAN peer-to-peer gaming
    * Supports multicast point-to-multi-point HD video streaming
    * Make a wireless bridge by connecting the device to a router and a second game-console or computer
    * Smart Wizard® setup for automatic detection and configuration of your equipment
    * Security: Wi-Fi Protected Access, Pre-Shared Key (WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK), Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) 64-bit, 128-bit encryption
    * System requirements: broadband (cable, DSL) router/modem or gateway with built-in DHCP server, 5 GHz Draft 802.11n and/or 5.0 GHz 802.11a wireless adapter or an ethernet adapter and cable to the computer.
    * Microsoft® Windows® Vista™, XP, 2000, Mac® OS, UNIX®, or Linux®, Internet Explorer® 5.0 or Netscape 4.7 or higher
    * Included: support, Ethernet cable, installation CD, power adapter
    * Delivery time: 7 to 10 working days
    * Dimensions packaging(L x B x H): 29.7 x 25.5 x 16 cm
    * Manual: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
    * Weight of Kit: 2 kg
    * Warranty: 2 Years
    linky

This is something of a niche product (any hardcore gamer will surely have ethernet cables strewn from one corner of the house to the other), but may be a bargain for someone who has a use for it.

It consists of two identical WNHDE111 units (which can be bought separately elsewhere), that can act as either Wireless Access Point or bridge.

Typical uses would be to
    • Use one as access point (AP) - connect to an existing router via ethernet to give other wireless N devices internet/network access
    • Use one as AP and the other as a bridge - connect other wired devices to the bridge to give them internet/network access

Limitations of which I'm aware:
    • Only two ethernet ports per unit
    • Ethernet ports are 10/100Mbps
    • Not compatible with Wireless-B/G
    • Not dual band: 5 GHz only, not compatable with 2.4 GHz

If you use ethernet to connect devices to each unit, then the maximum theoretical transfer speed between those devices will be 100Mbps, not 300Mbps.

Obviously wireless B/G devices will not be able to see the units. Wireless N devices will only be able to see the units if operating in 5 Ghz mode. Dual mode/dual channel/dual band devices can only operate in one mode at a time (2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz). Forcing your existing Wireless N device to operate in 5 Ghz mode could potentially break your existing setup if other devices depend on it operating in 2.4 Ghz mode.

Also note that while 5 Ghz mode devices suffer from less interference, they don't have the range of 2.4 Ghz devices, because they are not as good at penetrating walls, floors, etc.

Price check:
    Including post, the price of each unit is €26.23 (assuming one kit)

By comparison:
    Last month someone sold 3x units for €85 in adverts.ie. That's €28 per unit second hand.

On ebay the price for a unit seems to be ~ €43 per unit + ~ €10 post.

The cheapest I see online is €65 for the two unit kit on komplett, but they seem to be have been causing grief recently for many of their customers by accidently charging customers for orders that are not processed, not giving back money for returned goods, not responding to emails, phone calls etc. Buyer beware.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭King Cantona

simpsons-nerd.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Mossy

Updated avatar to "Simpsons nerd"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I havent used them before but wouldn't homeplugs be a much more reliable solution for the same price if not cheaper.

On ebay I can see one pair of 85 Mbps homeplugs for less than €50 including postage. All other models cost more.

I think that homeplugs would be more reliable for connecting wired devices, but I haven't seen any from reliable brands at reasonable prices. If you, or anyone else, knows of a reputable homeplug brand at say under €60 per pair incl. post then please let me know.

Also, the Netgear kit is more flexible than homeplugs in that wireless devices can also connect to the units. E.g. in AP/bridge configuration a laptop can can also connect wirelessly, or one or both units can be used as a repeater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

I havent used them before but wouldn't homeplugs be a much more reliable solution for the same price if not cheaper.

I was actually thinking the same.

amazon have a set of 200mbps homeline ones for £41 approx and 7dayshop are selling a set of 85mbps for the same once p&p is taken into consideration.

Thanks for the info Gollem.

The set on amazon is TP-Link TL-PA201 Starter Kit 200Mbps (actual throughput 40 Mbps or 50 Mbps depending on who you ask). At £41 that's the first reasonable priced homeplug (IMO) that I've seen - good find.

As I said earlier if all you need to do is connect two wired devices then the homeplug is a more reliable solution, but the Netgear kit offers more than just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

i have installed homeplugs (Belkin Gigabit) in 2 locations. Both very different houses and both with excellent results.
    They can do 1080p streaming no bother.
    Recommend them over wireless anyday. They can be got on ebay for €70 delivered. Or €165 in maplins:eek:

Advertisement