Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Level Teaching

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Hi fonpokno did your sister do work placements as part of the Music Education Course?. Also what instruments does she play?. I'm in Grade 7 Piano but would I need more instruments than this?..

Yes they do teaching practice as part of the course, a few 2 and 3 week (i think) placements spread over the course. She did started off doing piano but changed to singing. Grade 7 piano would be plenty, I got into college with grade 7 piano. You do the written entrance exam and audition for it anyway.
    O thats good because I'm not doing history for leaving cert. Ya i play piano but I'm only on grade 5 :(.. God that sounds brillant. And was she just teaching them music in the primary school?
    No harm in chancing your arm and going for the course anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

No harm in chancing your arm and going for the course anyway.

Ya only thing I live ages away from trinity :(.. Galway, Limerick and Cork would be closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 eoinseoighe12

Hi all,

I'm in 6th Year will be going to college next year. Therefore, I am in the process of deciding what I plan on studying. I've been constantly thinking about what I would like to do since TY really. I have narrowed down my choices to (1) Primary Teaching St. Pats/ NUI Maynooth OR (2) Irish and French Trinity OR UCD OR NUI Maynooth with the plan to go on and do Secondary School Teaching. My points range is 355 - 470.

I have thought about this long and hard and I know that teaching at either level is what I am passionate about and something I would look forward to developing a career in.

I obviously know that the current climate isn't the best for entering the profession..... lower pay of new recruits, more hours a week etc.... However, it is what I really, really want to; the work life balance suits my desire to do lots of travelling and I can pursue other sporting and voluntary activities which I am interested in. I am also very lucky to be inspired by such wonderful, young teachers in my school who I really look up to as something I aspire to be like - likewise for the teachers I had in primary school.

I have worked out that if I were to pursue (A) Primary Teaching I would graduate in June 2017 from St. Pats or (B) Secondary Teaching June 2019 when I complete the 2 year PGDE.

Also, with regards Primary teaching, would I have an advantage applying for posts given that I am a man and the ratio of male to female primary teachers is so low? I suspect I may have a better chance applying for jobs in the new schools to be built around the country in the next 5 years or so....

With regard to the new schools being built at both levels between now and 2017, as a newly qualified primary/ secondary teacher of Irish and French, would I have a good shot at a post in any of these schools?

For Irish and French as a combination for teaching, are my job prospects good? I have spoken to three of my teachers in the last week, and they specifically mentioned how there is such a high demand for Irish teachers (thats not the only reason why I want to study it, I love doing it in school!) that I would find it relatively easy to get a job.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and answer my questions - I would really appreciate some feedback from teachers at primary/ second level...

Thanks a million!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's a demand for Irish teachers with a good standard of Irish.

Being a man is unlikely to make any difference jobs-wise at second level. I can't speak for primary, but there are plenty unemployed male primary teachers too.

There's quite a backlog of teachers qualifying every year (and has been for a number of years) waiting to take these supposed new jobs in the new schools, so it won't be as easy as you seem to think. You'll still most likely do the hard slog of a number of years on small hours until you work your way to a CID, hopefully one for a decent number of hours.

I know for some recent posts (part-time) in our school, they didn't bother interviewing anyone who didn't have at least a couple of year's experience. They had so many applicants it wasn't funny, for hours varying from 4 to 14. We even had people with Ph.D. degrees applying for a four hour job. Terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

just wondering has anyone input on this?

teaching looks like one of my courses for next years cao.

I'm just wondering which course i would have better prospects with.

UL - chemistry and physics
    or
    UL - Ag science, biology and chemistry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sunny!! wrote: »
    just wondering has anyone input on this?

teaching looks like one of my courses for next years cao.

I'm just wondering which course i would have better prospects with.

UL - chemistry and physics
    or
    UL - Ag science, biology and chemistry.
    The one with biology. Much more schools offer it. Make sure that the Teaching Council recognises whatever degree you choose.

spurious wrote: »
    The one with biology. Much more schools offer it. Make sure that the Teaching Council recognises whatever degree you choose.

id rather teach biology, but wouldnt there by less a supply for physics teachers?

id rather teach biology, but wouldnt there by less a supply for physics teachers?

Yes, theoretically, but very few people do it, so you would be limiting yourself to a small number of schools in the first place.

Physics at LC 2012 - 4753 HL + 1620 OL

Chemistry at LC 2012 - 6705 HL + 1381 OL

Biology at LC 2012 - 22740 HL + 7796 OL

Yes, theoretically, but very few people do it, so you would be limiting yourself to a small number of schools in the first place.

Physics at LC 2012 - 4753 HL + 1620 OL

Chemistry at LC 2012 - 6705 HL + 1381 OL

Biology at LC 2012 - 22740 HL + 7796 OL

yes i get you there could be 4 biology classes in a school and barely one physics class. I think ag science is around the 5000 mark only but the biology make up for it i suppose:)

yes i get you there could be 4 biology classes in a school and barely one physics class. I think ag science is around the 5000 mark only but the biology make up for it i suppose:)

If you could add on some Maths to fulfil the Teaching Council requirements, a fully recognised Biology (with JC Science too?) and Maths teacher would have a good combination, but it would require extra study during your first few years after college, or a second degree.

• Advertisement

If you could add on some Maths to fulfil the Teaching Council requirements, a fully recognised Biology (with JC Science too?) and Maths teacher would have a good combination, but it would require extra study during your first few years after college, or a second degree.

I didn't do Hl maths for the lc so I don't think I'd be able to teach maths. I've another question I noticed in my school teach biology chemistry and physics but on the teachers council no course qualifies you to teach those 3. It would be a perfect combination for me. I'm just wondering how is this possible?

I didn't do Hl maths for the lc so I don't think I'd be able to teach maths. I've another question I noticed in my school teach biology chemistry and physics but on the teachers council no course qualifies you to teach those 3. It would be a perfect combination for me. I'm just wondering how is this possible?

Two different degrees probably, to teach all three.

Two different degrees probably, to teach all three.

ah i know what you mean now was a bit puzzled pity thats not an option for me:( could there still be a chance of a school asking me to teach a subject if im not qualified at it? ive seen it in my previous school

ah i know what you mean now was a bit puzzled pity thats not an option for me:( could there still be a chance of a school asking me to teach a subject if im not qualified at it? ive seen it in my previous school

Once you're employed, yes, but you could not go for a job that was advertised as, say, Biology and Physics, if your qualification was Biology and Chemistry.
    Once in the door though, you could be teaching anything.

Once you're employed, yes, but you could not go for a job that was advertised as, say, Biology and Physics, if your qualification was Biology and Chemistry.
    Once in the door though, you could be teaching anything.

oh thats good news (even though if its a flaw in the system) the way the education system is at the moment this is happening more and more i presume.

What's happening mostly is 'real' jobs are being split and people are getting small amounts of hours, ending up on about 13k annually for a number of years.

I can't see that changing for a long time as it creates a school full of younger teachers desperate for extra hours and trying hard to do extra things for free, just to avoid being the one that is dropped over the summer.

Meanwhile older established teachers retire and are not being replaced, while admin work is done for free by people wanting to keep their job. It's a dream situation for the bosses.

What's happening mostly is 'real' jobs are being split and people are getting small amounts of hours, ending up on about 13k annually for a number of years.

I can't see that changing for a long time as it creates a school full of younger teachers desperate for extra hours and trying hard to do extra things for free, just to avoid being the one that is dropped over the summer.

Meanwhile older established teachers retire and are not being replaced, while admin work is done for free by people wanting to keep their job. It's a dream situation for the bosses.

the prospects arent good i might do a science degree so ill have experience in labs etc and then do a hdip i think

Advertisement