Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice IRL v Apprentice UK

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Looks like I'm going to be on my own here, but here goes.

I watch both series and really enjoy both of them but if I had to pick one that I wouldn't miss it would be the Irish one.

Yes, it has product placement, but the only reason the English one doesn't is because it's on BBC. It's not done out of morale goodness. American show was also full of product placement, but I don't think it ruins the show.

The ads on the TV3 one are annoying but I always watch it from a recording and zip through the ads so no major issue there for me.

I would agree that the tasks on BBC are a bit more challenging. This year on the Irish one there has been too many design an ad/poster/calendar which does not show enough of peoples talents.

What really annoys me about the BBC one is all the arse-licking to Alan Sugar. Last year before his promotion it was all 'Good Morning Sir Alan', 'Yes, Sir Alan', 'No, Sir Alan'. Now he has been upgraded and Alan is gone and replaced by a Holy Sugar....'Yes Lord Sugar', 'No Lord Sugar'.....I just couldn't call someone that myself....maybe I'm just too Irish.

Comments about the UK women being better looking is true but surely that should be a criticism as I think that is the main reason they get on the show.

Anyhow, the main reason I do prefer the Irish one is that I've always found the candidates more entertaining and having more cop-on than the British ones (Yes, I know there have been some thickos on the Irish one). The BBC one is full of people saying how brilliant they are and turn out to be rubbish and there is less of that on the Irish one. I feel that this also leads to better battles/discussions in the Board room.(Although last night's UK boardroom with Paloma was brilliant).
    I know Bill can be annoying with he comments (Looking for a warrior etc) but I think most of the time he does fire the right person.

Definitely agree though that the 'You're Fired' show is much better on BBC. Done in a proper sized studio and a better presenter, guests and clips. The Wright Venue with 16 people in it just looks very amateurish.

Anyhow, 'I'm wafflin' as Bill would say so I'll bow out of here before I'm fired!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭positron

UK version is so much better in every aspect - quality of the production, challenges, camera work, audio, cuts, and most importantly quality of people (both Sugar, business people in general and the contestants).

Irish version is cringe-worthy half the time, barely average the rest! It's a bit sad really!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

The series currently airing in the US is cracking. None of the three suffer fools gladly but if Trump takes a dislike to you you're out the door before you open your mouth.

The US version is product-pimp-tastic too but Trump's much better than Cullen. He has a sense of humour and is after a bit more than a salesperson. I'm fed up of Cullen having a big thick head on him every week and acting like a pis**ed off headmaster.

In the US this year a lot of the candidates are recession victims and introduced to huge business figures - Forbes, Macy's - when they PM winning tasks. We're told what they're up to now when they're kicked off. I really like that spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I have no time for Bill Cullen, an egotistical individual who abuses everyone, including the "waster" younger generation.

Sugar on the other hand is much more cooler, gives genuine advice, and is way more entertaining than Cullen without having to be theatrical in anyway (unlike Cullen).

UK version for me.

completely agree - that cullen individual would sell his granny and not think anything of it - I don't like his attitude to Irish people in general - he thinks he is bigger, better, and nobody had it as bad as him. I don't like that he tells people to work for nothing and to stop whinging. He's very insincere and I would never do business with him.

Alan Sugar seems much more of a genuine article and cullen is just the yellow pack version - i bet he wishes he could be like Sugar. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

completely agree - that cullen individual would sell his granny and not think anything of it - I don't like his attitude to Irish people in general - he thinks he is bigger, better, and nobody had it as bad as him. I don't like that he tells people to work for nothing and to stop whinging. He's very insincere and I would never do business with him.

Alan Sugar seems much more of a genuine article and cullen is just the yellow pack version - i bet he wishes he could be like Sugar. :D
    Thought tonight Bill calling Jamie "thick as a plank" was just another reason for me to dislike the man more. You don't talk to a potential employee that way in this day and age :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 DaMagooster

Thought tonight Bill calling Jamie "thick as a plank" was just another reason for me to dislike the man more. You don't talk to a potential employee that way in this day and age :rolleyes:

Ah but he was just "challenging" him ha! Bill uses Bully boy tactics that he would not get away with in the real world. To be fair though Jamie is thick as a plank (you just cant say those things though) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 MisterMom

Once I started watching the UK version I couldn't even look at the Irish version anymore.
    Cullen thinks he's the best thing since sliced pan when in fact he's just a f****** idiot who hit it lucky!!! Can he say anything else other than "What were you's tinking?"
    The UK version is just so interesting and well put together, I wish it was on every night!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

UK version for me. Sugar is just a class act. Bill Cullen and the show in general, while being entertaining for the basic setup, remind me of lots of what I hate about Ireland. The pride some Dubliner's take in speaking english badly as if it's a badge of honour is well demonstrated by Bill. The buddyism in who you do business with shows some of what was all wrong during the Celtic Tiger. Some of it is excusable because we are simply a smaller country but people do business in a certain way here and you get the impression it will never change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Uk one wins be a mile.
    Alasn Sugar is someone I can respect. Bill Cullen is an ejit and represents everything thats wrong with crony Irish capitalism. He contradicts himself constantly with the candidates and is just head wrecking to watch.

Though I do like Jackie Lavin and think she can be quite humorous at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Part of the attraction of the apprentice is watching the mistakes.

If it ever happens that there is a really good idea that has the potential to be a real success who gets ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tracy Lee

cant stand bill cullen. alan sugar is so much better at it. and I understand cadburys is sponsoring it but do we need to hear the word cadburys in every second sentence in the narration?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I still feel the other international versions have better production values (That includes countries of a similar size to Ireland). I think that TV3 and ShinAwhil are letting themselves down by some shody production values.

TV3's series seems more about Marketing and Advertising due to the high amount of Product Placement, while the BBC series seems more about selling. Also everything seems laid out for the TV3 contestants while the BBC contestants need to bring everything from start to finish.

I think a better mix of both Marketing and Sales is required for both.

Over all this is a very good format that even bad production values can't ruin. Cring-Worthy TV at its best. :D

I think for next season Bill should become a Senator, after all Senator Cullen V Lord Sugar :)

The USA opening squence wins hands down. Money, Money, Money Some people got to have it, do thing do thing bad things with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

The English one is far more superior for a number rof reasons:

Better candidates
    Better looking Candidates.
    What has Bill Cullen done compared to Alan Sugar, sold a few cars
    What has Jackie done, compared to Karen Brady, shagged Bill..
    And what is your man Brian doing there, he doesn't even work for Bill anymore.

What really annoys me is that Bill thinks , it's the Bill and Jackie show, rather than the apprentice.

One episode that really annoyed me was when they were selling the gift cards for the clarion. What was wrong with going into Bill's garage trying to sell them. Is his staff only allowed to go to his hotel in their own spare time.

This show is just one big ego trip for Bill, thank god this is the last year of it.
    If they do decide to bring it back, wouldn't Michael O'Leary be great as the boss. Now that i would watch!!!!

Jumbo156 wrote: »
    This show is just one big ego trip for Bill, thank god this is the last year of it.
    If they do decide to bring it back, wouldn't Michael O'Leary be great as the boss. Now that i would watch!!!!

Are you sure it will be the last season? I think TV3 would be daft to let it go so soon after only 3 seasons, it is one of their prime programmes.

Michael O'Leary != Ego Trip ????

I think they should try for Denis O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

Elmo wrote: »
    Are you sure it will be the last season? I think TV3 would be daft to let it go so soon after only 3 seasons, it is one of their prime programmes.

Michael O'Leary != Ego Trip ????

I think they should try for Denis O'Brien.

The product placement rules are to be changed, if not already

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/bungling-boys-bitching-girls-and-a-blast-from-bill-the-apprentice-is-back-2344785.html

Michael O'Leary = Ego trip
    Absolutely but at least he's be funny :D

Jumbo156 wrote: »
    The product placement rules are to be changed, if not already

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/bungling-boys-bitching-girls-and-a-blast-from-bill-the-apprentice-is-back-2344785.html

Michael O'Leary = Ego trip
    Absolutely but at least he's be funny :D

Like the current Product placement rules which put a ban on PP? The producers and TV3 are just trying to bully the BAI and it will prob work. And the **** production values of the show means its realistically cheap to produce. The Sponsorship and the advertising revenue pulls in allot over the 2 hours with 48 ad slots to fill plus all the repeat showings.

Funny how now Mr. Bass has a conflict of interest as a BAI board member and major independent TV producer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The series currently airing in the US is cracking. None of the three suffer fools gladly but if Trump takes a dislike to you you're out the door before you open your mouth.

The US version is product-pimp-tastic too but Trump's much better than Cullen. He has a sense of humour and is after a bit more than a salesperson. I'm fed up of Cullen having a big thick head on him every week and acting like a pis**ed off headmaster.

In the US this year a lot of the candidates are recession victims and introduced to huge business figures - Forbes, Macy's - when they PM winning tasks. We're told what they're up to now when they're kicked off. I really like that spin.

100% agree, this season has been awesome, I gotta say I didn't care too much for the last few celebrity ones.

Last week's firing of
    Stephanie instead of Liza
    had me jumping out of my seat! Literally, I was punching the air. Trump did it so quickly that everyone was taken aback. I mean
    Liza has no chance of winning and was the obvious one to go but Stephanie is such a Biatch that ...
    ...it was probably the most satisfying firing I have seen (I have seen every episode of each series UK, Ireland and USA).

In terms of Irish v UK, it's UK hands down. Product placement this year is at ridiculous levels. Fair enough UK is on BBC but the tasks are way better.

Remember series 3 when Sugar gave each team £200 each early on and the team that comes back with the most money in a day wins? You could literally set up any business you wanted as long as you stuck to £200 seed money, that's a great task!
    Laois_Man wrote: »

As for the bit about Cullen being only interested in a salesperson. Eh, both shows have both teams every week trying to SELL something! Both shows decide their winning team every week as the team who SELL the most! Even when it comes dowm to the final boardroom battle, Sugar and Cullen BOTH use the SALES figures of each individual contestant as their ammo!

Eh what? NOT true!! In the UK one there's plenty of BUYING tasks, not just selling.

For instance, buy English goods to the value of £XXX. Go over on the ferry to France, sell them to the French. A huge part of the task was the selection of products to BUY before setting up. In the Irish version there's ALWAYS a completed product.
    Laois_Man wrote: »
    WTF difference does it make to the viewer whether someone is trying to sell brandless sausages or Galtee sausages? None!

Again going back to UK one, a first episode I think, selling sausages on the street, they had to go to the meat market early in the morning and BUY the quantity of meat required to make X number of sausages (% of meat defines gourmet or not and price points), again in the Irish version that buying process is eliminated because the product (you suggest Galtee) is already established. So nothing more than advertising and sales is possible. Add in the fact that the Uk version required them to make the sausages themselves introducing the production of a finished product from raw materials element which requires a lot of organisation and supply chain management skills again impossible if you have the product already. This was also done recently in their bakery task where they had to take orders and bake during the night.

And what about the pure buying tasks? Where Sugar gives a list of 10 items to pick up, the team that completes the task with the least amount of money and maximum amount of discounts (you had to haggle) wins, one season he sent them to Morocco to do it. Pure BUYING task. Name a few of those from the Irish series?

Also other selling tasks are better than the Irish one of "taking a brand and selling it". What about having inventors pitching to you and selecting which of their products you could introduce to the market place? Going to artists to select a painting to sell at auction or in a gallery? Going to clothes shops in London to see what you could sell in Manchester?

Seriously, you really think both shows are just about selling? The Irish one is nothing more than advertising and sales. Which is good, seeing as with shows like The Apprentice on air, there must be a lot of work for advertising and sales people in Ireland to do right now. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

8-10 wrote: »

Also other selling tasks are better than the Irish one of "taking a brand and selling it". What about having inventors pitching to you and selecting which of their products you could introduce to the market place? Going to artists to select a painting to sell at auction or in a gallery? Going to clothes shops in London to see what you could sell in Manchester?

Seriously, you really think both shows are just about selling? The Irish one is nothing more than advertising and sales. Which is good, seeing as with shows like The Apprentice on air, there must be a lot of work for advertising and sales people in Ireland to do right now. :p

Surely (highlighted in bold above) is exactly what the Irish Show had in last week's episode. If you don't watch it, you shouldn't comment on the differences. I see little overall differences in the tasks on both shows and I think it is just the ingrained bias of some of the people posting here that would suggest otherwise.

Martin567 wrote: »
    Surely (highlighted in bold above) is exactly what the Irish Show had in last week's episode. If you don't watch it, you shouldn't comment on the differences. I see little overall differences in the tasks on both shows and I think it is just the ingrained bias of some of the people posting here that would suggest otherwise.

Indeed the Irish show had this, I haven't seen this episode but it seem to concentrate on one Buyer, a chain of Supermarkets. The UK one had them giving over Exclusive rights when they could have possibly done that on the task.

I think their are some set Apprentice tasks that are required.

Taking the 2 advertising tasks on both shows.

UK Teams: - Told to come up with a new brand of cleaning bleach for the market followed by, a radio ad and a TV ad.
    Irish Teams: - Given a product by WEEE which was to be displayed on Adshells across the country. Another task had them do a Radio ad and TV for some weight loss company. (Logos and brands already established).

Also I am only getting through the Irish series I have it series linked.

I do think the product placement on the Irish series causes less strong tasks in comparison to other series I have seen.

In relation to Sales on the UK show, often it is the case they are selling more than marketing. So far they have sold Sausages, Clothes, Cakes and their B2B tasks. In relation to Marketing/Product Placement on the Irish show even Adshell were significant sponsors of the show. In last years series they were only allowed buy B&Q products to do up some houses.

Martin567 wrote: »

I do watch it, you obviously didn't read that part of my post. You're right, that was more akin to the UK task but again it was simplified. They had to select a product to go in a single store, SPAR, which their team had already gone into to judge what they already sell. In the UK one, they do the same thing except it's original products that can go in a number of different stores, they will have appointments with 3 different retailers (usually 1 big chain, 1 smaller store like Harrods, and an online store) and sometimes they can take the products and get their own appointments to sell them.

I hold my hands up with that comment, they do do that task in a way, you are right. But I'm still to see consistent tasks with a buying element in the Irish series. Take the US series, PLENTY of product placement, but nowhere near as universal as the Irish one. This season we saw the Popcorn company task and Kim Kardashian task, but then we saw the pedal-cab task with no sponsorship, the office space task, the fashion show etc etc. It doesn't do it every episode so prominently.

I still watch it. It's just not as good. Trump > Sugar >> Bill. And for task variety I gotta say UK > USA > Ireland.

Just my opinion, as I said, based on seeing every episode to date of all 3 versions so please respect that when you quote me. My bias is based on my viewing, not other posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

What channel is showing the US apprentice.

Storm 10 wrote: »

NBC and I think TBS but it's online on Hulu or Megavideo. I watch all 3 online, can't stand the amount of ad breaks in US and Irish versions. Irish one goes up on youtube in decent quality next day.

Storm 10 wrote: »

The BBC tend to show it after they finish up with The Apprentice UK, usually BBC 2 late night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Wouldnt be too bad if the Irish apprentice would mix up the companies theyre plugging. The same old brands over and over again each series. Applebys jewellers must have some serious dirt on Billo...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,478 ✭✭✭Heroditas

telekon wrote: »
    Wouldnt be too bad if the Irish apprentice would mix up the companies theyre plugging. The same old brands over and over again each series. Applebys jewellers must have some serious dirt on Billo...

They're the only companies willing to spend the big bucks to be featured in the show, hence the reason why it's the same companies.
    You have to spend a lot of money to get your company featured in one of those tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

The Irish show is just an hour long advert

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭seabre

Sugar wins - everytime:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

seabre wrote: »

The "I'll take it on board" bit in the boardroom was hilarious.

The look he gave yer one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭seabre

"We're taking so much on board here - we're in danger of capsizing!":D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tallaghtfatboy

seabre wrote: »

I have to say, the Sugar daddy wins hands down, even though not an episode goes by without him mentioning that he started his business in 1967, although I'd rather listen to that than listen to Bill spinning the usual yarn about growing up without an arse in his trousers or not having a pot to p1ss in. At least the sugar daddy has the odd wise crack while bill just trots out the same old cliches.

Advertisement