Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled Drivers & Passengers - Would you buy a new car if it was more affordable?

• 26-10-2010 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Folks,

Can I ask for your help please?

I am trying to put together a scheme whereby people with Primary Medical Certs can buy a new car without having to have €10,000 or €15,000 up-front. Basically, someone could buy a new car with a very small deposit, as long as they were capable of paying a weekly payment of €70 - €80 (i.e. they would need to be working or in receipt of some form of disability payment etc).

I am trying to guage how much interest there would be in such a scheme. The problem is that most of the people I have spoken to who get their VAT and VRT back tend to have a new car, which they change every 2 years.

So my question is this. Are there many of you out there who have a Primary Medical Cert but don't take advantage of this VAT/VRT relief because a new car is just too expensive? Would this scheme be of use to you?

I would be really grateful for your comments, and I hope I'm not infringing any code of conduct by posing the question here.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭squeky

how do you go about getting a primary medical certificate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lanciahead

From the HSE Website - hope it helps....

Primary Medical Certificate
    This is a certificate issued by the HSE which certifies that a person is a severely disabled and permanently disabled person for the purposes of Disabled Drivers and Disabled Passengers Regulations 1994. Some of the benefits of this certificate are that you may qualify for a refund of Vehicle Registration Tax, VAT and Excise Duty if you buy a new or second hand car. You may also qualify for exemption of road tax and a refund of VAT on motor fuel up to certain limits.

You must meet one following criteria to be issued the Certificate:
    - Be wholly or almost wholly without the use of both legs
    - Be wholly without the use of one leg and almost wholly without the use of the other leg such that you are severely restricted as to the movement of the lower limbs
    - Be without both hands or without both arms
    - Be without one or both legs
    - Be wholly or almost wholly without the use of both hands or arms and wholly without the use of one leg
    - Have the medical condition of dwarfism and have serious difficulties of movement of the lower limbs

To apply for the Primary Medical Certificate you must complete an application form. This form is available from your local PCCC Office and should be returned to same. You will then receive an appointment for an assessment with a Medical Officer.
    Cavan PCCC Office, Lisdaran, Cavan Tel (049) 4361822
    Monaghan PCCC Office, Rooskey, Monaghan Tel (047) 30400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭squeky

thank you im going to try apply for a parking card from disabled drivers association. so if i get the card i will try for the primary cert.

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Lanciahead wrote: »
    Folks,

I am trying to put together a scheme whereby people with Primary Medical Certs can buy a new car without having to have €10,000 or €15,000 up-front. Basically, someone could buy a new car with a very small deposit, as long as they were capable of paying a weekly payment of €70 - €80 (i.e. they would need to be working or in receipt of some form of disability payment etc).

I am trying to guage how much interest there would be in such a scheme. The problem is that most of the people I have spoken to who get their VAT and VRT back tend to have a new car, which they change every 2 years.

So my question is this. Are there many of you out there who have a Primary Medical Cert but don't take advantage of this VAT/VRT relief because a new car is just too expensive? Would this scheme be of use to you?

I would be really grateful for your comments, and I hope I'm not infringing any code of conduct by posing the question here.

Thanks

Are you aware that you dont have to buy a new car? Under this scheme A car of any age can qualify. Even imports qualify. The only actual restrictions are that you buy from a business (to get the VAT back) The maximun refunds allowed and the restrictions on engine size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Lanciahead wrote: »
    Folks,

Thanks
    Hi, In what way is your proposed scheme different from the usual loan scheme operated by car retailers through banks etc? Most people I know in the disability sector make a big effort initially to get a new vehicle. It used to be worth the initial effort because of the two year change option, but this seems to be a thing of the past now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement