Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor €10 lite ->> Meteor €30 Smart with free Meteor to Meteor

Options
  • 26-10-2010 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

I'm currently on meteor's €10 lite plan and want to move to €30 smart with a new phone. I noticed that if you join €30 smart online you get free meteor to meteor call and texts.

But when I went to order it said existing customers call their sales line. I did and she said non-12-month-contract customers must go in store to change. And I therefore wouldn't get the free meteor calls and texts.

So here's what I'm planning on doing:
    1. Transfer my number over to O2/Vodafone prepaid (do I need to go Meteor prepaid first?).
    2. Transfer back to Meteor€30 smart plan online. Get to keep my number and get free Meteor to Meteor.
    Anyone done this? Or see any problems with the above steps??

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just ring Customer Care and say you want to cancel. You'll be put through to Retention, who will change you the other offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I rang up the cancellation department there. They guy really wanted to "chat" about why I was leaving. So I told him straight up about what I was intending and he had a good laugh, he said it's awful awkward but would work.

What he did offer though is that he would transfer me WITH meteor to meteor calls and texts and the new phone there and then. That was with the €35 option though, the €30 price is also online only. He said he couldn't do €30.

I reckon that's an extra €60/year so told him to go on ahead with the cancellation which reverts me back to prepaid. Stubborn I know! :D I've to wait a month now...

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I did it. It involved a call to customer care and them offering me several different offers that didn't come anywhere near the one I was asking for but I just kept saying I'd port out and back in and eventually she relented :)

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    eventually she relented :)

She came up with the same offer or she let you cancel your contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

foto joe wrote: »
    She came up with the same offer or she let you cancel your contract?

Came up with the same offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I was in the exact same situation as the op was on the €10 lite plan wanted to move to smart lite for €25

Was passed to the resolution centre and told them I was going to sign up a new account online (which i initiated last night actually) and to move this number to payg.

He first offered me €30 a month with the free calls and texts, which i refused. I said even if I only keep the next contract going for two months I'd be breaking even. He then put me on hold

He then came back to offer me the exact same deal as online, which i accepted!

My bills have been quite high for the last couple of months (avg €60ish) due to me using the phone for work so its possible that made me an attractive customer to keep happy? Im not sure.

PS - The call quality was BRUTAL!!! It was defiantly a voip call and their up-stream bandwitdh was suffering (I was on my mobile with full reception). My office uses voip and its perfect, they are either over loading their line or not manging bandwitdh properly! Either way its shoddy from a phone company!

Just an update...

- Contract ended Monday and was put on prepay.
    - Moved to o2 that afternoon and ordered phone on Meteor.ie

Have heard nothing since order, they were to email contract. Rang customer care and they were to call back but never did, will have to ring again in the morning.

Got an SMS from Meteor today which might be worth noting for other people sitting on prepay and want to be treated better: "Get €240 free call credit and €20 off a phone when you return to Meteor. Visit your nearest Meteor store for details. List of Stores and terms and conditions at meteor.ie To unsub freetext STOP to 50003." .

Just to close off this thread in case people in the same boat come across it...

I rejoined Meteor as a "new customer". They even accepted my old Meteor bill as a proof of address! :D At the end of the contract I'll definately be leaving and rejoining again for all the perks of a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Would the 10 euro lite, + 15 euro unlimted net bundle not be more beneficial.

Works out cheaper, your keep your free texts and calls and u're not tied down to a contract.

U wont be able to get the x10 for 1.49 though. But u could get a wildfire for 200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

As a Meteor pay as you go customer, told by customer care current meteor customers have to sign up in shop and loose out on the online offers (No Free calls and texts and an extra €5 euro a month)

Asked If I get another providers free sim (which Tesco were handing out last week)

Port over with the tesco number online and when it arrives go into a shop and change from the Tesco number over to my old meteor number, informed that would work fine. No need to switch for a month :)

Waiting for the contract to be sent out at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You need to be off their system for 24 hours, that;s what the lad in Direct Sales told me. I'm on O2 at the minute, my contract is on it's way too.

Crazy way to deal with customers, but I'm saving serious cash (110 quid on online price plan and phone price).

The Free M2M calls/texts is available in store, or so said the folks in Santry last Wednesday

Sharp wrote: »
    ....No need to switch for a month :)...

Yeah the actual changeover only takes a day, I was on Bill with meteor initially though so needed to give 1 month notice to cancel that.
    Would the 10 euro lite, + 15 euro unlimted net bundle not be more beneficial.

Works out cheaper, your keep your free texts and calls and u're not tied down to a contract.

No I don't think so, that's exactly the combination deal I left. The €30 smart plan is €25 online too (18mth contract).

|€25 Smart|€10 lite + €15 internet
    Incl Minutes|200|50
    Incl SMS|200|50
    Free Met to Met|Yes|Yes
    Data|1GB|10Gb
    Cost|€25|€25

I easily went over the 50txts and 50mins so was running up a bill outside of that every month. 200 will cover it all safely. I didn't use more than 1GB of the data either. It would make sense if you were a light or purely-meteor user and tethered your phone for home internet access.

Cost of a new phone...(I needed to get an Android phone)
    HTC Wildfire|€189.99|€39.99
    HTC Desire|€439.99|€149.99

^ big difference there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

foto joe wrote: »
    Yeah the actual changeover only takes a day, I was on Bill with meteor initially though so needed to give 1 month notice to cancel that.

No I don't think so, that's exactly the combination deal I left. The €30 smart plan is €25 online too (18mth contract).

Incl Minutes|200|50
    Incl SMS|200|50
    Free Met to Met|Yes|Yes
    Data|1GB|10Gb
    Cost|€25|€25

I easily went over the 50txts and 50mins so was running up a bill outside of that every month. 200 will cover it all safely. I didn't use more than 1GB of the data either. It would make sense if you were a light or purely-meteor user and tethered your phone for home internet access.

Cost of a new phone...(I needed to get an Android phone)
    HTC Wildfire|€189.99|€39.99
    HTC Desire|€439.99|€149.99

^ big difference there!

yeah the contract is better if u want the expensive phone with it. But wahts gonna happen 13 months into yoru contact when u lose the free texts and still have 6 months left?

Actually didn't cop about the 6months without free meteor-to-meteor! :rolleyes: Knew there was a catch somewhere!

Still, I'll use cabbage to keep within the sms limits and the minutes will be grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

I'm looking online but can't find anything, is the €10 lite plan still available? I can't see it on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

Advertisement