Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Cameras and 10/100 switch

Options
  • 26-10-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

We've recently moved home nextdoor to our business premises. Business analogue camera and DVR system is on its last legs and needs replacing and we want camera's watching the home now too.

Current business system DVR was right next to monitor visible to customers because there was no remote control facility. Necessary for the times when we needed to quickly review footage of suspected shoplifters or check if a person had really given us a 50 etc and we wanted the monitor visible as a deterent. However in terms of evidence gathering during a breakin, we know this meant we'd likely have the 'evidence' stolen too :D

What I would like is a network enabled DVR with Multi-terabyte storage located in a loft storage space in the attic of our home. For the Home camera locations I can drop discrete Cat 5e and 12v lines from the DVR location in the attic via the eaves soffits.

However for the new IP cameras in the business premises I was hoping I could do the following. Run 1 Cat5e and 1 coax from the DVR in the attic out to the business premises. Have the 4 IP cameras in the business premises powered locally with dc adapters rather than 4 12v lines coming from the home attic too. (ground loop problems??) Have an 8 port 10/100 ethernet switch on the end of the run of Cat5e to the business premises to which the 4 IP cameras are connected and a laptop. Theres a laptop in the shop anyway, gives the laptop reliable wired access (as opposed to current crappy 1mbit wireless)to the network, internet and camera footage. ie. we can use this laptop to review footage from the DVR in the attic. However, we want the detereent factor too so would like to display live camera footage on the olds systems CRT monitor too which is where the run of Coax comes in.

I've a 24 port gigabit switch going in the house attic for the home network anyway. Look I am starting to confuse myself here too :D Put simply, is there anyway with switches on both ends that I can get away with just one cat5e and 1 coax running out from house attic to business premises or do I have to run a discrete cat5e for each camera, for the laptop (network, internet, IP camerea footage on DVR access) and/or discrete 12v to the business camereas because of groundloop problems. Thats a lot of cable, trunking and bigger holes drilled through walls whereas I would prefer if I could get away with minimal cabling between buildings and being able to use a small existing hole drilled through very thick walls.

Advertisement