Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is east coast fishing a waste of time?

Options
  • 26-10-2010 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

I still haven't found a decent spot. Over the last few weeks I've been to:

Kilmichael Point
    2 small plaice

Courtown Beach
    A small Pollock

Courtown Harbour
    Between 3 of us we caught 12 small Pollock, a catfish and a starfish

Bray North Beach
    Not even a bite

Bray Harbour
    2 small codlings and bucket loads of crabs

Bray Head
    Nothing

Greystones Beach
    Nothing

Bullock Harbour
    2 crabs and 1 Plaice, which a seal took from me...

A friend has been trying different spots up the coast too and hasn't caught anything worth mentioning at all.

For bait we've been using Mack, Squid, Sand eel, rag, peeler crab. And we've tried spinners too.

Are there any decent spots left? At this stage it's as if Bass are a myth :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

IM the same my self. I tried Morriscastle in Wexford at night, one small Plaice. Howth from the pier During the summer, not even a sniff. South Bull wall at the lighthouse 3 starfish in succession. Sunday and today in Donabate, 1 dab about 3" long out of both days. As you say, if there are bass, they arent playing with me! Even a decent flattie would do me though let alone a bass!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

There's a lot more variables to consider other than location. E.g. tide, tide phase, temperature, recent temperature, time of year, weather etc etc. Some of those spots can produce well in the right conditions. But you need to fish a spot a good few times to figure out what the right conditions are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Each time out we've been there at least 2 hours each side of high tide. In courtown we even did a 10 hour stint through the night. Conditions have varied throughout locations, but as said above, even a decent flattie would be nice!

Yesterday the dolphins came very close to bray harbour and even though I didn't get a bite, I saw them catching and throwing around some monster size fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Tried a bit of fishing down in Roslaire last weekend. Went to a few different spots but all we caught were dog fish. We found another 4 live dogfish on the beach flapping around which was strange.

Advertisement