Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballon D'Or nominations

• 26-10-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭

Surprised there's no thread on this yet - nominations out for this year's award, the first time the FIFA World Player of the Year and the old Ballon D'Or (European-based players) have been merged.
    World Player of the Year nominees: Xabi Alonso (Spain), Daniel Alves (Brazil), Iker Casillas (Spain), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast), Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon), Cesc Fabregas (Spain), Diego Forlan (Uruguay), Asamoah Gyan (Ghana), Andres Iniesta (Spain), Julio Cesar (Brazil), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Maicon (Brazil), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Thomas Muller (Germany), Mesut Ozil (Germany), Carles Puyol (Spain), Arjen Robben (Holland), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Holland), David Villa (Spain) and Xavi (Spain).

World coach of the year nominees: Carlo Ancelotti (Chelsea), Vicente del Bosque (Spain), Sir Alex Ferguson (Manchester United), Pep Guardiola (FC Barcelona), Joachim Loew (Germany), Jose Mourinho (Inter Milan/Real Madrid), Oscar Tabarez (Uruguay), Louis Van Gaal (Bayern Munich), Bert van Marwijk (Holland) and Arsene Wenger (Arsenal).
    Personally I think Messi should win again but I could see Iniesta or Sneijder getting it for WC and/or CL achievements. Very hard to look past Messi though.

Mourinho will get the coach award (first time it's been given). Probably fair although Loew should have a decent shout. Interesting to see club and international managers in together - obviously it's always been the case with players but they do both as opposed to one or the other.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Sneijder all day long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Xabi Alonso (Spain), Daniel Alves (Brazil), Iker Casillas (Spain), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast), Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon), Cesc Fabregas (Spain), Diego Forlan (Uruguay), Asamoah Gyan (Ghana), Andres Iniesta (Spain), Julio Cesar (Brazil), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Maicon (Brazil), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Thomas Muller (Germany), Mesut Ozil (Germany), Carles Puyol (Spain), Arjen Robben (Holland), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Holland), David Villa (Spain) and Xavi (Spain)

Of that list the only ones with a realistic chance are imo:

Messi
    Ronaldo
    Sneijder
    Iniesta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He wont be but Schweinsteiger deserves to be very much in the running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Based heavily on the World Cup performances.

Klose had a dire season with Bayern Munich, Rooney had a fantastic season with United. Yet Klose makes it for just 2 weeks of great performances whereas Rooney was out of this world for about 6 months and is omitted.

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Basing it on form for club and country, then I would have the following as my final five

Messi
    Muller
    Robben
    Sneijder
    Villa

Hon mentions to Schweinsteiger, Alonso, and Iniesta.

With Muller as my winner followed by Messi and then Robben.

I expect the actual winner to be Messi though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Based heavily on the World Cup performances.

Klose had a dire season with Bayern Munich, Rooney had a fantastic season with United. Yet Klose makes it for just 2 weeks of great performances whereas Rooney was out of this world for about 6 months and is omitted.

Ridicolous.
    It's for the 2010 calendar year though, right? So technically Rooney was only good for about 3 months before getting injured?

But yes, good point re: Klose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rooney deserves a nomination IMO, he's the sole reason Utd were in with a chance for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

IMO It absolutely has to be Sneijder.

Key player in his team winning an historic treble including the CL. Key player in dragging his team to the World Cup finals.

It really has to be him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Xavi should have a good chance as well, I hope he wins it.

PHB wrote: »

Key player in his team winning an historic treble including the CL. Key player in dragging his team to the World Cup finals.

It really has to be him.

+1

Sneijder has been a joy to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Klose's an odd one alright.

@Kess73: Not sure how you can argue Mueller was the best player in the world. Lovely to see young players break through and all that but let's keep it in perspective. Great WC but nowhere near that level consistently for his club who tended to play him somewhat differently I seem to recall?

Also, Pique has been absolutely robbed not to be on that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Also, Pique has been absolutely robbed not to be on that list.

+10000000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Sneijder the favourite from what I've heard. Its a farce that Roo didnt get a nomination at least. Personnally I'd like Xavi to win the award. I think its his last chance to win such an award and he couldn't be anymore deserving of it imo. Has been the focal point of Barcelona and Spain over the past few seasons and often dosent get the attention and praise that Iniesta and Messi do. He was the key to Spain's WC triumph and that alone was enough to get players in the past the award.
    But then again I think Sneijder will win it and I couldn't really begrudge him it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd say Snejider will be in with a good shout.

Schweinsteiger for me was the best performance in the World cup by miles.
    Unfrotunately didnt figure alot of Bayen munich in their run to the final so he might just miss out to Snejidar.

Having that many spanish players is a bit sensationalist , I'm curious as to why there are so many there, yes they won the world cup...but through an international and club seaosn, they werent stand out sensational.

I was impressed with Ronaldos performance in la liga last year, hes coming on to a real force, only a matter of time before he wins it all over agian imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Don't like the way the 2 prizes were merged, seems like they are only taking the WC into account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Walter Samuel was Inters best player by a country mile last season. How The worlds most overy rated center back EVER is on that list and Samuel, Juan, Lucio and Pique aren't is such a msytery.

Seaneh wrote: »
    How The worlds most overy rated center back EVER is on that list and Samuel, Juan, Lucio and Pique aren't is such a msytery.
    Jesus, yeah, just copped Lucio wasn't there either.

At least Sunderland's second-choice striker was recognised for scoring a few pennos though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Klose's an odd one alright.

@Kess73: Not sure how you can argue Mueller was the best player in the world. Lovely to see young players break through and all that but let's keep it in perspective. Great WC but nowhere near that level consistently for his club who tended to play him somewhat differently I seem to recall?

Muller was excellent for Bayern last season in both the league, domestic cups, and CL. It was his excellent club form that got him the first of his now 12 caps, and he finished the season as the Bundesliga newcomer of the year, got into the Bundesliga team of the year, and had four player of the month awards, along with winning the young player of the tournament at the world cup.

He also ended up with a league winners medal, two cup medals, and a losing CL final appearance.

He was very consistant for Bayern and played in every league game and a fiar share of cup games and finished the season on 19 goals at club level.

He then went on to get five goals and three assists at the world cup, getting the golden boot.

For me he had an outstanding season or an outstanding 2010, whichever way the award is judged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

PHB wrote: »

It really has to be him.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Jesus, yeah, just copped Lucio wasn't there either.

At least Sunderland's second-choice striker was recognised for scoring a few pennos though...

I've no problem with Gyan being there. Losing finalist in the ACN, and a missed penalty away from dragging his team to a WC semi-final. Played very well for Ghana throughout the tournament and showed incredible bottle to step up for the penalty in the shoot-out after missing the earlier one.

Forlan also had a great season. Was key to Atleti winning the UEFA Cup and Uruguay progressing in the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

1. Wesley Sneijder
    2. Xavi
    3. Diego Forlán

Dempsey wrote: »
    1. Wesley Sneijder
    2. Xavi
    3. Diego Forlán

I can't argue with that.

Although realistically, Messi and Ronaldo will get a load of votes they don't necessarily deserve and both end up in the top 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

What exactly does Diego Milito have to do to get on the list?

He scored the goal that won Inter Serie A, the Champions league and the Coppa Italia.

Asamoah Gyan is much better though, obviously. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Actually, the whole thing is a farce.

Walter Samuel (who was the best centre back in Europe last season IMO) isn't there but Miroslav Klose is. They both scored the same amount of goals last season (three)!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

How i think it will go;

Xavi
    Messi
    C. Ronaldo

Its the same top 3 as last year but i think Xavi's WC win should get him to #1, he deserves it more than the other 2 imo.

Bit of a joke that a few of them players got on the list because of a good WC and some others with very good seasons at club level weren't included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think the Ballon d'Or was meant to be the respected award? Some of the names on that list are a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Its not even worth noting they're that bad. Sneijder to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Miroslav Klose lol!

I remember last year someone put up a list of names listed for World Player of the YEar and cheekily included Lucas Lieva as a joke.

That's the first thing i thought of when I saw Klose's name on this list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Incredible that Rooney didn't even get a nomination and Puyol, Gyan and Klose are on it. Fair enough Klose was good in the World Cup but he did nothing at all that I can tell for Bayern.

In an ideal world Sneijder would win it with Forlán and Xavi making up the three, but these things are never without controversy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Looks at list
    Giggles
    Turns off laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Must be the first time in a long time that there are no English or French players on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I wouldn't worry too much about the World Cup inclusions, sure they're a bit of a joke but at least the top 10 players in the world are on there. When all is said and done the cream of the crop will rise to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

greendom wrote: »
    Must be the first time in a long time that there are no English or French players on the list.

Surely Malouda deserved a nomination considering the questionable achievements of some of the others. Seems to be unfairly biased towards having a good World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think the Ballon d'Or was meant to be the respected award? Some of the names on that list are a joke.

Ballon d'Or and the FIFA award are now combined into one.
    And they make no qualms about the fact that many players are picked based on the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It was but the merged it with the FIFA world player of the year award and the selection criteria changed. It's just the FIFA award with the name of the respected award now.

Load of balls, France Football should have stayed indipendant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Sneijder is 11/4 favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Incredible that Rooney didn't even get a nomination and Puyol, Gyan and Klose are on it. Fair enough Klose was good in the World Cup but he did nothing at all that I can tell for Bayern.

In an ideal world Sneijder would win it with Forlán and Xavi making up the three, but these things are never without controversy.

Sigh....

I'll bite. Last season Puyol was the captain of a team that completed their clean sweep of winning every trophy they entered in a 12 month period [no team has done this]. He also captained Barca to a league title, in a team that conceded less goals [24] that any other domestic winning team in a big European league [they also won the league with 99 points, something I'd wager has never been done by any big domestic european team in the history of the sport]. He was also an integral part of a Spanish team that won the world cup for the first time in their history, doing so while conceding only two goals [both in the group stages].

Anybody that says Carles Puyol doesn't deserve to be on that list is actually being delusional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Can't believe Rooney isn't on the list. Won a Carling Cup, Excelled at the world cup and has lit up the prem this year.
    Typical anti man utd agenda by fifa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Why do ye fooking care whos on the list or whos favourite. Its a bloody meaningless side show. Some people on this forum seem to like having pointless arguments about who is better and seem to forget about just enjoying the football. Grow up ladies.

[btw i dont mind who wins as long as they are not spanish or portuguese or argentinian or dutch:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Can't believe Rooney isn't on the list. Won a Carling Cup, Excelled at the world cup and has lit up the prem this year.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

1. Muller
    2. Sneijder
    3. Forlán

Probably why they left him off the shortlist tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Anyone think Ashley Cole should be on the list?

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

One huge omission..

-Images-f-fabianski08012008.jpg

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's hilarious people get so worked up about these lists.

there's always going to be a few in and a few left out that are a bit absurd.

(i.e. Pique, Rooney and Samuel).

no Englishman? i love it. no because i have anything against the English, but it's a testament to how ordinary most of their footballers actually are.

Sneijder must win tbh.

then IMO;

followed by Messi.

followed by Forlán.

[but Ronaldo will be there instead of Forlán, and Messi will probably win)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Thought Xavi had as good a year as Sneijder tbh. Doesn't get enough goals to sin these things though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's hilarious people get so worked up about these lists.

there's always going to be a few in and a few left out that are a bit absurd.

(i.e. Pique, Rooney and Samuel).

no Englishman? i love it. no because i have anything against the English, but it's a testament to how ordinary most of their footballers actually are.

Sneijder must win tbh.

then IMO;

followed by Messi.

followed by Forlán.

[but Ronaldo will be there instead of Forlán, and Messi will probably win)
    Sneijder should win. but I can see it being a spanish player winning it, just as that happened after the 2006 cup when Cannavaro won it, just as long as its not a defender, I don't care really.

Xavi-iniesta-villa one of them will win imo.

Coach of the year should be bosque or loew.

Bosque had spain playing beautfil stuff all the way from qualifying to the final, and had a fairly high win%, up in the 90s I think.

And loew had germany playing fantastic attacking football, was really a joy to watch when they played well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i naively forgot about the whole World Cup Year thing.

i still think Sneijder can't be ignored, and Messi is too much the darling. a tough one.

1. Sneijder
    2. Messi
    3. Xavi

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Realistically , no matter how underwhelming the whole affair was, no player who didn't have a decent World Cup should be in the running. Likewise, anyone who just showed up for the big tournament and had no impact on club level should be shunned. Outside of Diego Forlan and possibly Mueller and Schweinsteiger, that leaves only Spanish and Dutch players. Of the Dutch, nobody can compete with Sneijder whereas on the Spanish side there are three or four who could split the votes.

On that basis, I can't see past Sneijder and I would vote for him myself, but I wouldn't be shocked if Xavi or Iniesta won it and would be pleasantly surprised if Forlan got the award.

• Advertisement
Advertisement