Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first homebrew!

Options
  • 26-10-2010 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've decided to try my hand at a homebrew. I'm based in Germany, so ordered a starter set and a couple of kits off www.brauen.de earlier this week. It all arrived today, and I'm like a kid on Christmas morning!

I'm doing a fair bit of travel in the next few weeks, so trying to work out a schedule for my brew. I'm also a complete novice at this, so I'll have no doubt have loads of questions

My equipment included 2x 30l fermenting tubs and a load more gubbins. I have two Brewferm Tarwebeir kits which are supposed to make a nice Belgian Weiss beer, each of which makes 15l of beer. Is it OK to brew a single kit in a 30l capacity tub, or should I brew both at the same time? Will the extra oxygen in the tub adversely affect the taste if I only brew 15l? If I brew double the amount, should I just double all the ingredients, or is there a sliding scale?

And finally, any advice you can offer a beginner? any common pitfalls? From what I've read, "sterilisation" and "patience" are the two things to keep in mind.

Comments

Advertisement