Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England 2018 makes Russia bid leader complaint

• 26-10-2010 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

England's 2018 World Cup bid team has lodged a complaint with Fifa against the head of Russia's rival campaign over comments he made about London.

Russia 2018 chief executive Alexei Sorokin was quoted as criticising high crime rates and the drinking habits of young people in England's capital.

Sorokin said he had no intention to discredit bid rivals and is ready to apologise for any "misunderstanding".

"It's no secret, for example, that London has the highest crime rate when compared with other European cities, and the highest level of alcohol consumption among young people."

Sorokin also criticised the British media for its coverage of Russia's bid as well as referring to Peter Odemwingie, the former Lokomotiv Moscow forward who was the subject of racial abuse before and after he left the Russian club for West Brom.

"In the interview I used London's problems as an example. Such things are part of life in any big city.

Russia, England and joint bids from Belgium/Holland and Spain/Portugal are in the running to host the 2018 World Cup.

The decision on who will host the tournaments will be announced by Fifa on 2 December following a secret ballot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

In Soviet Russia, World Cup bids you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

If crime rates didn't ruin the S.Africa bid I don't see why it would affect London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

england have the olympics in 2012 so why are they russian to get the world cup, let someone else have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'll make a bid to hold the World Cup in Roscommon. There's a few astro-turfs about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Bad enough hearing about 1966 every world cup year, imagine having to hear about it from now until they meet the germans in 2018.

I would actually love to see Russia get it, we hear and see alot about St Petersberg and Moscow but know very little about the rest of Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

brits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Watching men dressed as ten year old boys kicking a ball around is ghey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Bad enough hearing about 1966 every world cup year, imagine having to hear about it from now until they meet the germans in 2018.

I would actually love to see Russia get it, we hear and see alot about St Petersberg and Moscow but know very little about the rest of Russia.

+1. They could base England and Germany in Vladivostok or Novosibirsk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

why are they russian to get the world cup, let someone else have it
    It's the only way they can win the thing again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

You need a World Cup to be held in a country in order to find out about it? Read a book...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Four years ago, the WAG was invented. This year, we all learned what a vuvuzela was. What the Russian language might add to English - the possibilities are endless! I'm with Russia on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Obaraten wrote: »
    Whats wrong with Kazan:eek:?

Not remote enough. :D

Kazan is nice, yes? Ireland could be based there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

In other football news; Liverpool will get relegated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

squod wrote: »

I don't get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

TheZohan wrote: »

Even so... they will never walk alone.

They'll have Wolves & West Ham beside them.

squod wrote: »

Only if you **** off watching them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Only if you **** off watching them.

Audience participation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bit like Euro 88 and Ray Houghtons Goal and Italia 90 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

TheZohan wrote: »
    It aint gonna happen ...

• Advertisement

England would definitely be the better location for the World Cup, certainly from a stadium and organizational point of view imo, from an organizational point of view and having traveled for away game in Europe, England is excellent, they have learnt a lot since the Hillsborough Disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Hang on is that not coming from a country where people have been know to get into taxis at the airport, never to be seen again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Sorry for my ignorance on Russia, but would feel a lot safer going to a world cup in England. Didnt Irish fans have to bribe the russian police the last time to be left alone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I don't see why it's just an English bid... wouldn't it make much more sense to have it be UK2018? Spread out the joy a bit!

OisinT wrote: »
    I don't see why it's just an English bid... wouldn't it make much more sense to have it be UK2018? Spread out the joy a bit!

Meh, why? different sporting organizations, no need for England to put a joing bid with Wales and Scotland, they have excellent stadiums throughout the country, that said the Millennium Stadium is a fantastic place for matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

df1985 wrote: »
    Sorry for my ignorance on Russia, but would feel a lot safer going to a world cup in England. Didnt Irish fans have to bribe the russian police the last time to be left alone?

My uncle and cousins were there for a Chelsea match once, and they were in Red Square on the day of the match, a group of officers came over to them looking for passports and papers and all that, and wouldn't leave them alone until my cousin took out his phone and pretended to call the British Embassy.

df1985 wrote: »

The last time Engerland played in Ireland, the game was abandoned as they rioted & ripped up half the seats & threw them down onto the Irish supporters below.

And that was during a "friendly".

Safer? That's debatable.

The last time Engerland played in Ireland, the game was abandoned as they rioted & ripped up half the seats & threw them down onto the Irish supporters below.

And that was during a "friendly".

Safer? That's debatable.

Do you attend matches in England regularly?

Circumstances were very different for that England/Ireland match and many of the supporters at that match were not English, however that is irrelevant, having attended Champions league matches in Europe and compared to matches held in England, England are streets ahead in terms of organization imo.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Do you attend matches in England regularly?

Circumstances were very different for that England/Ireland match and many of the supporters at that match were not English, however that is irrelevant, having attended Champions league matches in Europe and compared to matches held in England, England are streets ahead in terms of organization imo.

Fair point.

• Advertisement

Fair point.

That said it would be nice if it was held somewhere completely different :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The English have a better infrastructure in terms of getting to and from football stadiums and their police force (post hillsborough tragedy ) with assistance from thousends of stewards, police the grounds in a professional manner up and down the country , week in week out as well as European cup games with minumum hassle or problems .Lessons would have being learned from previous games were trouble happened outside games prior to a match ie ( Rangers V Man Utd two seasons ago ) .The 1996 UEFA European Football Championship (Euro 96) was a hosted by England with no major concerns or problems..yes the English are streets ahead imo to

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I mod the soccer forum now?
    Kick ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Kick ass.
    Kick ass.

Is double posting a soccer forum thing? :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Is double posting a soccer forum thing? :D

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You must be drunk and seeing double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

England would consider themselves one of footballs superpowers so wouldn't be keen on the joint bid with the lesser nations. Relations with the home nations arn't too good after England declined to take part in the new home nations tournament.

• Advertisement
Advertisement