Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT and dark windows

• 26-10-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a car without NCT and this thursday is the NCT test. The car has dark windows and the front glass has a dark stripe covering the upper half of the glass...

do you think that it will pass the NCT test ?

thanks !
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

"front glass has a dark stripe covering the upper half of the glass"..........this leads me to the conclusion that it wont.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Front windows needs to allow 65% of light through. Sunstrips are a bit vague, but a good rule of thumb is that if it's farther down then your visor, it may fail.

http://www.ncts.ie/images/NCT_DL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

The rear windows can be as dark as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sebas

In that case I should take the strip off... It should be simple enough for the windscreen.... not sure about the front windows.

Does anybody know how to remove the front windows dark film ?... do I need to bring the car to the garage ?

I've done it, it's not too hard. It's a big clear sticker, so start peeling slowly. A helpful adhesive remover is a spray bottle with a 50:50 mix of ammonia and water (can get in hardware stores). Whack on the heat on the car, keep windows closed. Spray liberally on inside of windows, and then cover in cling film (doesn't have to be tidy).

Wait a while (dunno - 15 min?) and start peeling slowly. Once you've got most of it off, spray more ammonia mix on any remaining stuff to help dissolve the glue. You can use razor blades for stubborn parts, but be careful not to go a a very shallow angle so as not to mark the glass. Or yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 sebas

MarkR wrote: »
    I've done it, it's not too hard. It's a big clear sticker, ....

did you have to disassemble the door ? When I open the window I can see where the stick starts from the top of the glass... but when I close the window I cannot see where it finishes from the bottom of the glass... so it looks like the sticks goes inside the door...

I didn't, it probably only goes a mm or two below what you can see. If it doesn't, the spray should dissolve the glue anyway, and it'll slip off of it's own accord.

Advertisement