Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alain de Botton

Options
  • 26-10-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

I'm finding Alain de Botton's twitter updates and his website a mind expanding experience. Has anyone read any of his books, the one on Proust sounds good.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

How proust can change your life, is excellent imo, and after reading it I tried reading a couple of his other ones, the consolations of philosophy for one, but didn't enjoy as much as the proust one which is a very well observed popular philosophy book that is very witty and gives you a little insight into Proust who liked to write very long sentences a little like this one

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gary L

I really was changed by his series, philosophy: a guide to happiness. The companion book, consolations of philosophy, I thought was equally genuine. Alain is bringing philosophy back to its roots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

I've read the consolations of philosophy and the architecture of happiness, I found them very accessible as an entry into philosophical writings for an architecture student, especially before attempting to read any Heideigger or Gadamer. I really enjoyed the architecture of happiness which has lovely little drawings and diagrams throughout to keep the reader interested, you could easily read the whole thing in a few hours. I'm gonna check out his website now. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

jkforde wrote: »
    I'm finding Alain de Botton's twitter updates and his website a mind expanding experience. Has anyone read any of his books, the one on Proust sounds good.

"The consolations of philosophy" and "Status Anxiety" are both excellent reads.

Never thought about following him on Twitter but will now - thanks OP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/philosophy-guide-to-happiness/

here's a good link to a series based on the book, the consolations of philosophy.
    haven't watched it yet but thought i'd stick it here for anyone interested. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

http://www.veritasbooksonline.com/consolations-of-philosophy.html

Actually talks about Alain de B's series and has a final chapter on how it's unreasonable to seek consolation from philosophy. (But I think that lad's Norwegian so....;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SecurityGuy

The book on Proust in spite of pretentious title is a decent reading, very light, I would say too light for the subject. It also has a few REALLY awkward fragments, especially related to author's girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Anyone at his talk tonight ? Enjoyed it , its a pity we don't have more people like him in the world.
    Lot of assumptions exposed !

Advertisement