Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CDJ's or Digital System? Gear Upgrade

Options
  • 26-10-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I've just been paid and looking to invest in a new DJ setup.
    Currently using Traktor Pro, Behringer BCD-3000 and Faderfox DJ2 (which is brilliant!) and occasionally some of my other controllers (Novation Nocturn) etc.

Can't decide between nice set of CDJ's with HID support (such as CDJ-350 or CDJ-850 if I can hold out a few weeks longer) and mixer or an all in one system like the Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S4.

Either way, I'll be using Traktor but it would be nice to have something that could operate standalone if needs be, i.e. CDs or USB key!

Any help from the greater online DJ community would be much appreciated! Thanks! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I'd choose a pair of decks and Traktor Scratch any day. I was using Traktor and 2 X1s and a mixer for ages, then started using just CDs, and I've way more fun playing with CDs. Saving up for Scratch to get rid of the hassle of burning CDs, but as far as feel/enjoyment/satisfaction goes, has to be CDs/records.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭smck99

Hi electrogrimey, thanks for quck reply. As you can see I'm still in boards newbie territory!!

Yeah, I much prefer the feel of CDJ's as opposed to the somewhat "toy" feel of a controller. Leaning towards CDJs alright. Looking for native HID support though, eliminating the need for control CDs and a soundcard. Just think that maybe the seamless integration of something like the S4 could make life a lot easier!

What is your current setup then? Just out of interest...

Current set-up for DJing is a pair of headphones and a CD wallet. Haven't brought Traktor to a gig in months.

I can't imagine the S4 being much better than the Xponent/VCI, so if you like the feel of CDs you're better off sticking with CDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

i'd go digital

it's definetely the future/present

sure that's why pioneer are adding all this usb connection business, and they're a hell of a lot more money

as said above, for enjoyment, personally nothing beats a set of 1210's and a bit of fx equipment

Digital is the future, but every club is still gonna have 1000s and 1210s until they make something that properly emulates the feel of hardware. Scratch is the future I think, not pure digital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

smck99 wrote: »
    I've just been paid and looking to invest in a new DJ setup.
    Currently using Traktor Pro, Behringer BCD-3000 and Faderfox DJ2 (which is brilliant!) and occasionally some of my other controllers (Novation Nocturn) etc.

Can't decide between nice set of CDJ's with HID support (such as CDJ-350 or CDJ-850 if I can hold out a few weeks longer) and mixer or an all in one system like the Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S4.

Either way, I'll be using Traktor but it would be nice to have something that could operate standalone if needs be, i.e. CDs or USB key!

Any help from the greater online DJ community would be much appreciated! Thanks! :pac:

just to let u guys know i am selling a pair of cdj350s at a great price over on adverts.ie, if anyone interested drop me a pm
    Thanks

http://www.adverts.ie/316678/pro-audio/pioneer-cdj-350-pair-new-pioneer-range/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭YOP1992

I'd choose a pair of decks and Traktor Scratch any day. I was using Traktor and 2 X1s and a mixer for ages, then started using just CDs, and I've way more fun playing with CDs. Saving up for Scratch to get rid of the hassle of burning CDs, but as far as feel/enjoyment/satisfaction goes, has to be CDs/records.

grimey tsp and tsd are now half price in a lot of online retailers, you ideal set up could be a lot closer :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

think ill be saving for a set of 850s myself after xmas to use with traktor

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

copeyhagen wrote: »
    think ill be saving for a set of 850s myself after xmas to use with traktor

i think you would be mad to pay nearly 1700 euro an a set of cdj850s, the cdj 350 has nearly all of the features of the 850 (albeit a smaller jog wheel) at a fraction of the cost! Sure the 850 would suit a nightclub/bar setup, but if it is for a bedroom the 350 is more than adequate, u could spend the left over money on other upgrades for your system

YOP1992 wrote: »
    grimey tsp and tsd are now half price in a lot of online retailers, you ideal set up could be a lot closer :p

Saw that, but the upgrade from Pro is still the same price, €200 dearer than Scratch on it's own! Makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭YOP1992

Saw that, but the upgrade from Pro is still the same price, €200 dearer than Scratch on it's own! Makes no sense.

sell your pro and buy scratch pro, people seem hesitant to buy because they reckon NI will be introducing a new traktor scratch early next year

Advertisement