Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with microdermals

Options
  • 26-10-2010 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hey,
    so finally i got the md I wanted. The guy had a really hard time putting in the second one, he kept on saying that my skin is very tough, and that he'd never worked on with skin so hard. So at the end after putting me through hell the second one finally fits in.
    Gone home all happy and all.
    Now it's been 4 days, the first one almost didn't swell, the second one instead is red all around it and swollen, it feels a bit hard around the top of it.
    Can some one pleease tell me if this is normal??
    I don't know who to ask, and i'm getting a bit worried.
    Should I do something? I'm washing it with the usual saline solution, sometimes warm and sometimes cold.
    I even saw that the top of the second one was turning (unscrewing!!), but i think i managed to turn it the right way to try to tighten it un a bit Has anyone got some advice?? I'm in cork and I wouldn't know any piercer I can ask advice from that might know something about mds.

Hope some one answers.
    thanks anyways
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hiya,

As the piercer had difficulty getting the second one in, then it stands to reason that it would be a little more agitated, so I would expect it to be more red/swollen than the other. Could I ask about your saline cleaning procedure, as you said "sometimes warm and sometimes cold"
    The saline solution should always be made up using boiling/boiled water and pure sea salt, and then left to cool to skin temperature before use. Are you sometimes making this up with cold water, or just leaving it till it's gone cold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Darkdream

Hiya,

As the piercer had difficulty getting the second one in, then it stands to reason that it would be a little more agitated, so I would expect it to be more red/swollen than the other. Could I ask about your saline cleaning procedure, as you said "sometimes warm and sometimes cold"
    The saline solution should always be made up using boiling/boiled water and pure sea salt, and then left to cool to skin temperature before use. Are you sometimes making this up with cold water, or just leaving it till it's gone cold?

Hi I'm actually doing the thing with the boiled water so thats the warm one and I was told that with a contact lens saline solution would have been the same thing, so here is the cold one.. should i be doing it only with boiled water??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The contact lens solution is possibly sterile too, but most likely through additives, so it's not just water and sea salt, so you'd be much better sticking with the boiled-cooled water with sea salt

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Be careful about over soaking a micro. They need to be kept clean alright, but don't necessarily need the same level of cleaning as a normal piercing. It is actually better to treat it more as a wound than a piercing. Wet wounds don't heal.

Be careful about over soaking a micro. They need to be kept clean alright, but don't necessarily need the same level of cleaning as a normal piercing. It is actually better to treat it more as a wound than a piercing. Wet wounds don't heal.

ok, good, so i'll go ahead only with salt and water (boiled of course) and not over soaking it. What about the swelling?
    I heard that they shouldn't swell at all, is it normal that mine is a bit swollen and red around it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Swelling isn't usual, although that doesn't mean its not normal. Somebody has interfered with your body (sounds good) and your body is reacting. Different people react in different ways. Providing its just a little red and a little swollen you should be fine. If however its swollen and the surrounding area changes from red to any other colour besides your natural skin tone, you need to be a little concerned as yellow, blue etc, normally indicate infection.

Swelling isn't usual, although that doesn't mean its not normal. Somebody has interfered with your body (sounds good) and your body is reacting. Different people react in different ways. Providing its just a little red and a little swollen you should be fine. If however its swollen and the surrounding area changes from red to any other colour besides your natural skin tone, you need to be a little concerned as yellow, blue etc, normally indicate infection.

yeah it's just a little red (pink) right around it..i guess it's normal so.
    It's actually getting better day by day, and a couple of days it was really soar..
    i was curious, what are the first signs if it's meant to be regected or fall off?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Dragonz_Rawr

Put a plaster over it while you are sleeping - and if it is getting rubbed by clothes or anything, put a breathable plaster over it during the day as well.

If it's going to get infected or reject, it may get a bump around it, it may start to weep, and, like was said above, it will turn a strange colour.

Don't allow body wash, shampoo etc near it and if the top comes off it again, get yourself back to a piercer and they will put it back on properly as playing with it can cause irritation.

Good luck :)

Put a plaster over it while you are sleeping - and if it is getting rubbed by clothes or anything, put a breathable plaster over it during the day as well.

If it's going to get infected or reject, it may get a bump around it, it may start to weep, and, like was said above, it will turn a strange colour.

Don't allow body wash, shampoo etc near it and if the top comes off it again, get yourself back to a piercer and they will put it back on properly as playing with it can cause irritation.

Good luck :)

Hi,
    i mentioned in other posts that I have very sensitive skin, so my bodywashes actually are very mild, they don't even irritate eyes or wounds so i don't think they can be harmful for mds, what do you think?
    Right now the area is a bit reddish around the md and there is a little bump right where the little underskin part should be, but besides that it just hurts a bit if I press it or anything.
    Fortunately is't in an area where it hardly touch or get rubber by anything..do you think the plaster is necessary?

The contact lens solution is possibly sterile too, but most likely through additives, so it's not just water and sea salt, so you'd be much better sticking with the boiled-cooled water with sea salt

You know what.. i was looking at it now, and it actually is less flared up!!
    I think it probably was the contact lens saline solution that was irritating it..damn and the piercer told me it would have been the same thing!!
    Now it's just a little swollen around where the bottom part is. But it's not even a week I've had it so thats actually good i think.
    :)
    I really gotta thank you!!
    :D

• Advertisement

Darkdream wrote: »
    Hi,
    i mentioned in other posts that I have very sensitive skin, so my bodywashes actually are very mild, they don't even irritate eyes or wounds so i don't think they can be harmful for mds, what do you think?
    Right now the area is a bit reddish around the md and there is a little bump right where the little underskin part should be, but besides that it just hurts a bit if I press it or anything.
    Fortunately is't in an area where it hardly touch or get rubber by anything..do you think the plaster is necessary?

Don't press it :D
    I use Sanex or Simple bodywashes ( I think that's what they are called ) when I have new piercings and they seem to be OK...so if you are using something similar you might be OK. Everyone's skin is different though - so do what works for you. But - as you say - if your body wash doesn't irritate wounds you should be fine - because that's effectively what you have - a wound.

With the plasters - I used them for the first couple of weeks to stop catching the piercings in my sleep or on towels etc...it was more as a precaution to remind me they were there. However - I do find that if my MD's flare up now, a plaster over them overnight settles them back into place.

Hope that helps.

Don't press it :D
    I use Sanex or Simple bodywashes ( I think that's what they are called ) when I have new piercings and they seem to be OK...so if you are using something similar you might be OK. Everyone's skin is different though - so do what works for you. But - as you say - if your body wash doesn't irritate wounds you should be fine - because that's effectively what you have - a wound.

With the plasters - I used them for the first couple of weeks to stop catching the piercings in my sleep or on towels etc...it was more as a precaution to remind me they were there. However - I do find that if my MD's flare up now, a plaster over them overnight settles them back into place.

Hope that helps.

don't press it?? what do you mean??:confused:
    Besides that thanks for the great help you and everybody is giving me!
    (ok for plaster over night...i toss and turn..ghghg)

Darkdream wrote: »
    don't press it?? what do you mean??:confused:
    Besides that thanks for the great help you and everybody is giving me!
    (ok for plaster over night...i toss and turn..ghghg)

Don't press it???
    You said 'Right now the area is a bit reddish around the md and there is a little bump right where the little underskin part should be, but besides that it just hurts a bit if I press it or anything.'

Sorry - can't figure out how to quote that part...technically challenged...

I press mine down gently to make them sit properly occasionally - but I wouldn't do it when they are irritated...

Yeah - I toss and turn at night as well - hence the plasters. Am forever waking next to earrings and piercings that have come out during the night :)

Don't press it???
    You said 'Right now the area is a bit reddish around the md and there is a little bump right where the little underskin part should be, but besides that it just hurts a bit if I press it or anything.'

Sorry - can't figure out how to quote that part...technically challenged...

I press mine down gently to make them sit properly occasionally - but I wouldn't do it when they are irritated...

Yeah - I toss and turn at night as well - hence the plasters. Am forever waking next to earrings and piercings that have come out during the night :)

ahuahauha...oh..ok.. my apologies....I meant to say when t touched it..
    sorrry :p
    Anyways swelling and redness in slowly disappearing, only thing i've discovered that some plaster give me a pretty bad allergic reaction...
    gotta find a solution for that..any suggestions?
    at the moment it is still a little red right around it but we are talkin half cm more or less, so I think I'm good!

I'm allergic to surgical tape but plasters are fine - so maybe try some surgical tape with cotton padding underneath so that it's not sticky on the MD itself?

If not, maybe go on a hunt for plasters for sensitive skin - no idea if such a thing even exists, but I would assume it would! Boots might be a good place to start :)

Apart from that it sounds like it's starting to settle - yay!!! Hopefully it will continue that way for you.

I'm allergic to surgical tape but plasters are fine - so maybe try some surgical tape with cotton padding underneath so that it's not sticky on the MD itself?

If not, maybe go on a hunt for plasters for sensitive skin - no idea if such a thing even exists, but I would assume it would! Boots might be a good place to start :)

Apart from that it sounds like it's starting to settle - yay!!! Hopefully it will continue that way for you.

you said ti..yaayyyy...
    i'm super happy!!!
    might be looking to get a tattoo soon...

Oooh - best of luck with that! Check out the convention this weekend...loads of ideas! :)

I can't afford to get ink at the moment...Xmas and holiday is draining all my funds at the moment. Will just have to wait until the New Year :(

Oooh - best of luck with that! Check out the convention this weekend...loads of ideas! :)

I can't afford to get ink at the moment...Xmas and holiday is draining all my funds at the moment. Will just have to wait until the New Year :(

LOL tell me about it, i'm planning to get married next year..i'm wayy to short on everything..
    I would really like to come, do you know how much just sunday ticket costs?:p

Oooh - congrats!

Tix are €15 per day for a day pass. €25 for a weekend pass. :)

Advertisement