Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bull shot in Kilkenny

Options
  • 26-10-2010 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

anybody else see in the farming supplement of the independant today that a bull was shot in kilkenny, the local knackery said that its getting in 1 shot farm animal a month on average, wonder is it the same guys doing it?
    To make it even worse the insurance company wont pay out the 3000 compensation as its the shooters insurance that should cover it and if the farmer had shot the bull himself accidentally they would have paid out,

stories like these give us shooters a bad name, some people should just not be allowed have firearms

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Haven't read the FI today, what was it shot with, rifle or shotgun? Any bullet left in the animal? If they suspect anyone they could test the rifle, not entirely sure they'd be arsed mind.

People who do this, don't deserve to hold their licenses, whether it's done by design or negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats not the worst that can happen, In New Zealand there was a woman killed during the weekend by someone using lamping equipment and a rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I heard that last month a Bull was shot around the Castlewarren area and last week a cow was shot with a 22lr on the Waterford road just out from the city. Not good enough IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Liam Good

ormondprop wrote: »
    anybody else see in the farming supplement of the independant today that a bull was shot in kilkenny, the local knackery said that its getting in 1 shot farm animal a month on average, wonder is it the same guys doing it?
    To make it even worse the insurance company wont pay out the 3000 compensation as its the shooters insurance that should cover it and if the farmer had shot the bull himself accidentally they would have paid out,

stories like these give us shooters a bad name, some people should just not be allowed have firearms

I had a phone call from this journalist asking me if gun clubs had any policy on this,I politely referred him to the NARGC. I haven't read the story but according to the journalist it was a bullock and was shot in the eye, he did also mention that he spoke to the knackery and they said they get about one a month like that. He didn't clarify whether the one a month was shot or just died, nor did he say which knackery he spoke to, it might be interesting to know which knackery is getting these animals and whether vets are involved in finding cause of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I am actually at a loss as to how this stuff happens

Is it ricochet or someone practically blind using firearms

Clive your're spot on too, as we always point out, every single person is an ambassador for the sport and that carry on is simply not good enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Vegeta wrote: »
    I am actually at a loss as to how this stuff happens

Is it ricochet or someone practically blind using firearms

Clive your're spot on too, as we always point out, every single person is an ambassador for the sport and that carry on is simply not good enough

I agree you would have to be blind or stupid to do something like that. First rool of shooting "if you can't see clearly and know 100% what you are shooting at then don't shoot."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

it didnt say what it was shot with just that it was a bull he was planning to sell in about four months and was hoping to get about 3000 for it, and he was just thankful his prized bull didnt get shot as its worth 30000, it also stated that the knackery informed them about another cow that was brought in that died as a result of being shot but the farmer didnt realise until it picked up some infection as a result of the wound and later died

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

This kind of thing pisses me off. :mad:
    When I go shooting I wont go anywhere near livestock of any kind for fear of ricochet. I am as carefull as I can be and am always sure of where and what I'm shooting at, but I always have a little voice telling me about how prone .22lr subsonics are to ricochet. You can NEVER be too carefull IMO.
    Jeez I would hate to have to go up to a farmer with the head down and say "I may have shot your cow in the arse". I gaurantee I wouldnt run off like a coward though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

it didnt say what it was shot with just that it was a bull he was planning to sell in about four months and was hoping to get about 3000 for it, and he was just thankful his prized bull didnt get shot as its worth 30000, it also stated that the knackery informed them about another cow that was brought in that died as a result of being shot but the farmer didnt realise until it picked up some infection as a result of the wound and later died

Could you explain that again?
    The crow died from eating the bulls wound?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I am afraid that this is becoming more common than some people think, and it would appear on the face of it that someone is shooting at a pair of eyes. :(

I am scared to think what type of fk wit cant tell a bull from a fox, unless it was a journey off and he shot at a pair of eyes. I dont go for magic bullet theories, :D

Only two weeks ago I had a heated debate with lad who was boasting about a 300 yrd shot at a fox.......when I asked him how did he know it was a fox he said that the eyes where a give a way?????????:confused:

I'll stick with the Hornet, at least at 100-150 yards I can see its a fox*.

DC makes the point if it was NARGC they should own up and the insurance will cover it, Cpu;d it have been Poachers, I know the Fingal Independent reported on cattle slaughtered in the fields the back of the airport a while back:eek: Jaysus I know there is a recession on but.......:D

*no offence aimed at anyone who shoots other caliber firearms for lamping, or in any way am I saying that readers dont properly identify the target before pulling the trigger, but if the cap fits....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Could you explain that again?
    The crow died from eating the bulls wound?
    read it again and you will see i never mentioned a crow once

read it again and you will see i never mentioned a crow once

Sorry, yes it says cow, not crow.

I find it hard to believe that it is so common down there.
    I do a lot of driving across country at night due to odd hours and I see no lights in fields.

When i was a kid it was common place, but that was a long time ago.
    Very few into hunting around my kneck of the woods, any that are are bird shooters with shotty's.

Surely if the animal was in a knackery the round could be removed from it's eye and measured to see what it came from.

Well for a start the article is inaccurate, the Knacker is John Styles, not John Stynes
    http://www.qype.ie/place/preview/ie-13809-john-styles-sons-portlaoise
    His name is John Styles.
    In accuracy number 1,
    So if he can't be bothered to get the mans name correct, how is one to believe the rest of the article is accurate??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

clivej wrote: »
    I heard that last month a Bull was shot around the Castlewarren area and last week a cow was shot with a 22lr on the Waterford road just out from the city. Not good enough IMO.
    i spoke to a farmer on the waterford road in kilkenny a few weeks ago and he said he found a dead cow that had a wound which he thought was a bullet wound from a rifle i had permission on this farm and was told no more and i got it in the neck i dont even own a rifle and was on his neighbours farm but i understand how pissed off he must be giving people the right to shoot his land and be repaid like this i also have a permission in castlewarren but cannot see too many farmers out that way welcoming us in with open arms .idiots .it only takes 1 tool to **** it up for everyone else shooting gets enough bad press without this kind of crap happening 1 a month is someone trying **** up the shooting down this way on purpose or what

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Do they know the person? is he insured?They must know him/her if they state that the SHOOTERS Insurance should pay, are they saying that he was not shot accidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

snipe02 wrote: »
    i spoke to a farmer on the waterford road in kilkenny a few weeks ago and he said he found a dead cow that had a wound which he thought was a bullet wound from a rifle i had permission on this farm and was told no more and i got it in the neck i dont even own a rifle and was on his neighbours farm but i understand how pissed off he must be giving people the right to shoot his land and be repaid like this i also have a permission in castlewarren but cannot see too many farmers out that way welcoming us in with open arms .idiots .it only takes 1 tool to **** it up for everyone else shooting gets enough bad press without this kind of crap happening 1 a month is someone trying **** up the shooting down this way on purpose or what
    i herd that the cow that was shot on the waterford road was shot by a normal .22 now is that a 22lr,22wmr or 22 swift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

lee70 wrote: »
    i herd that the cow that was shot on the waterford road was shot by a normal .22 now is that a 22lr,22wmr or 22 swift

Does it matter :rolleyes: It shouldn't have been shot with anything :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

From the indo report
    "She was shot in the stomach, but it wasn't noticed until she got peritonitis and died," said Mr Stynes.

It was shot in the stomach, the idiot can't even shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

Lampers out my way shot a horse a few years back. It was all swept under the carpet though and nothing came from it. Too many half wits wandering around the country at night with powerful rifles IMO. Thats not anything against the genuine lampers that are the ones going to suffer from incidents from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 joolsthedog

Jeez, I thought for a minute there that you meant John O'Donohue former Cathaoirleach ah but then he's in Tipperary spouting a lot of bull himself

clivej wrote: »
    From the indo report
    "She was shot in the stomach, but it wasn't noticed until she got peritonitis and died," said Mr Stynes.

It was shot in the stomach, the idiot can't even shoot.

Since "Mr Styles", a man who runs a knackery in Portlaoise is not a Vet, his Diagnosis may not be accurate also.

Paper never refused ink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

lee70 wrote: »
    he just said it was bullet wound he had no other info accept for no more shooting and he was getting a lot of damage to fences most prob by lampers .i did not go back to see how his neighbour felt .

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i was always lead to believe that if anything was shot with a rifle that was not to be shot the bullet could be traced back to the owner of the gun is this true or am i watching to much csi

smokin ace wrote: »
    i was always lead to believe that if anything was shot with a rifle that was not to be shot the bullet could be traced back to the owner of the gun is this true or am i watching to much csi

It would depend on if the bullet was badly damaged on impact, or damaged when being retrieved from the animal, then you have to have a suspect to compare the bullet with the rifle, as there is no data base with all the rifle calibers ballistics on record i.e a round fired from every rifle and records kept just like fingerprints from a criminal, then there is little chance of finding anyone. If they knew the caliber by locating the bullet they would probably do a process of elimination with persons around the area with the same caliber, and expensive and time consuming process so it would have to be a serious offence or a regular blatant criminal act.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

It would depend on if the bullet was badly damaged on impact, or damaged when being retrieved from the animal, then you have to have a suspect to compare the bullet with the rifle, as there is no data base with all the rifle calibers ballistics on record i.e a round fired from every rifle and records kept just like fingerprints from a criminal, then there is little chance of finding anyone. If they knew the caliber by locating the bullet they would probably do a process of elimination with persons around the area with the same caliber, and expensive and time consuming process so it would have to be a serious offence or a regular blatant criminal act.

but in all fairness what would stop someone from lets say waterford(no offence to anyone from waterford)going on a shooting spree shooting cattle horses or sheep on farmers in athlone or any where else in the country apart from there own local patch just for the so called crack
    why cant there be a ballistics data base for guns and that to get the gun it has to be tested for to get it licensed at lease it would stop half wits just getting licences just for the crack of it

smokin ace wrote: »
    but in all fairness what would stop someone from lets say waterford(no offence to anyone from waterford)going on a shooting spree shooting cattle horses or sheep on farmers in athlone or any where else in the country apart from there own local patch just for the so called crack
    why cant there be a ballistics data base for guns and that to get the gun it has to be tested for to get it licensed at lease it would stop half wits just getting licences just for the crack of it

If everything was as perfect and easy, do you realize you are in Ireland take years to catch up:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

One of the scary things in that article is :

'Des Crofton said that his organisation fully covers any damage to livestock or property by its members. He says that the NARGC has had to deal with less than 10 cases of farm animals shot by its 28,000 members over the last year. '

Some shooters boomsticks shoould be swapped for white sticks, methinks.:mad:
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Kind of off topic lads I know but a few years ago my old fella was out after sheep one night and there was a bunch of local trigger happy lampers lamping our land and he was the other side of the wall about 250yds from them. They thought his head with peak cap on was a fox on top of the wall seemingly because one of them nearly fired:eek: until one guy shouted don;t shoot..that's ******(old fella). So the likes of these fellas are plenty around the country. I'm always neervous when I see lads lamping to be honest because no ones knows how compodent they really are:confused: I think there should be a strict and difficult exam on gun handling and safety and judgement and the likes before anyone gets a firearm. It might help eliminate this bull that ruins it for everyone else:mad: Oh and another question lads, what;s the story if a farmer asks ya to shoot a sick animal such as a sheep or bovine? Is it ok or not I wonder. I have been asked a good few times so I'm wondering are alot of those animals in the knackery with gunshot wounds sick animals that were shot on purpose:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[/QUOTE]
    Storage space both physical and data would preclude it.Germany tried this in the 1970s when Baader Meinhoff/RAF was getting into full swing.All new guns would be ballistically tested and the bullet kept on storage.A couple of years later it was dumped as unworkable.There was just too much physical evidence.
    That was just new domestic stuff,they didnt even try to test the old stuff out there.As well as that it is no biggie to alter the chacteristics of your barrel within ten mins with some ready to hand domestic tool.[Go figure,Im not telling!!;) ]
    Nor in the pertinent ballistic points of the tool marks left on a spent shell. IE the extractor,the ejecter,firing pin,breech face,in some cases the magazine lips,and primer indent on the shell.Change or modify any of those or a multiple of them with a different barrel or one that you can change by tooling it every time it is used for mucking about,and your ballistic evidence is extremely hard to prove.:(
    As for fukwitts getting guns..Well,maybe we should be more worried about fukwitts getting their hands on cars.They kill morte of us and themselves than firearms do ever here in Ireland.Not to mind do more property damage as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement