Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Relief on Single Room

Options
  • 26-10-2010 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'll apologise in advance if I'm asking some stupid questions but I'm struggling to get my head around what rent relief is exactly.

I'm a Graduate Medical Student in UCD and currently renting a house in Dublin (started in September). Previous to this I lived in digs (rented a room in a family house), also in Dublin. I have a couple of questions with regards to rent relief.

Since September 2009 I haven't had a job in Ireland and as such haven't paid a dot in tax. I have however paid rent during this period. From conversations with friends of mine I'm under the impression that I can still claim back some of my rent as part of the rent would have been tax. Is this true or am I completely off the mark?

What I'm asking really is if there's any way I can get some money back via rent relief on rent paid over the last few years?

Any help in clarifying this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can only use the credit in the years that you actually paid income tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

Victor wrote: »
    You can only use the credit in the years that you actually paid income tax.

Cheers. As I got financial help from my parents for a couple of these years could they claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect not. You would need to check into it carefully.

Certainly with health insurance, you can - its the amount of health insurance you've paid for, not the amount of health insurance you've paid for yourself.

Advertisement