Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDA that has excel

Options
  • 26-10-2010 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm developing a system that records attendance for a local primary school and I want to know which PDA is easy to develop for and which incorporates excel.
    The data from the PDA will be uploaded from to a computer on a daily basis, from where the data can be analyzed. The System i'm developing will have a present and not present button for the attendeance. Im looking for a system that is easy to manage and easy to develop on Im also hoping to not break the bank for this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Would a website not be an easier option? I don't think I've seen any phone that does what you want (takes feed from an Excel sheets and uploads to a computer over the net).

A web page would be way easier to manage, and would be accessible from pretty much any smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Its a big school it will probably be running facility/eportal. Should be straightforward enough to design a web app to feed the DB, better yet you make an android app for it (we were going to that before we got RFID attendance cards).

Whatever you do you would be better off making it a web app. Only issue would be connectivity but with a smartphone you could use a data plan.

Maplin are doing an android 7" tablet PC at the moment for €124 its basic but would be a better job just for attendance as it has the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Yeah agree...

I got the HTC HD2 (4.2" screen) and that had Microsoft office suite on it free with phone but the only way to up it to web is send it yourself to email.

Its good to read stuff on it or run slides via wifi but it sucks when it comes to editing either word of excel on it :)

Try looking up how it works on Windows Phone 7. Its easier on HTC HD7 cause its a better integration with ms office cloud app and easier UI

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-au/howto/wp7/office/use-office-excel-mobile.aspx

http://pocketnow.com/software-1/windows-phone-7-series-walkthrough-word-excel-powerpoint <- this is an old video :) before the release on windows phone 7

Advertisement