Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice hotel in Cork for 1 or 2 nights this week

Options
  • 26-10-2010 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

The missis is due our first baby in December and we have the week off so Im thinking of booking a couple of nights in a hotel in Cork city or county for tomorrow and Thursday night.

Im after something quiet enough with plenty of chill out areas, maybe a spa for herself to use etc. We stayed in Fota before and that was nice but its not an option this time. Someone suggested the Clarion in Cork city to me earlier.
    So.. modern, comfortable, place to relax, spa..

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Hayfield Manor is lovely but it is quite pricy. I have heard good things about the Clarion, but have never stayed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I highly recommend the Rochestown Park Hotel. Reasonably priced for a 4 hotel. The food is fantastic, the spa and leisure facilities are brilliant and the rooms are really really good. If you are going there book it through booking.com because you get the room at a better rate than the official website. Myself and my other half stay there about 2-3 times a year and have never been disappointed. Have a word with the staff on reception and see can they upgrade your room to a suite, definitely worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Rochestown booked out! :(
    Hayfield calling me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

how about the Radisson in Little Island?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

If the Rochestown is booked out I would +1 the Radisson. I haven't stayed in the Cork one but I have stayed in the Galway Radisson on a number of occasions and it is brilliant. We liked it so much we booked the Cork one or our wedding

• Advertisement

Has anyone stayed in the radisson little island? Just going through the trip advisor ratings here.. not too bad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

the carlton kinsale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Trotter wrote: »
    Has anyone stayed in the radisson little island? Just going through the trip advisor ratings here.. not too bad!

I haven't, but it got some good mentions here before. I've eaten there and the restaurant and bar are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Radisson Little Island is lovely and has a really nice spa and pool area.

It sometimes features as a Top Secret Hotel on lastminute.ie as well, which means that you can pick it up for an even cheaper rate. Only downside is that it is outside the city.

In the city, you could try the Imperial (nice spa) or the River Lee hotel (formerly Jury's).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

How about the Charleville Park Hotel. I stayed there a few weeks ago and it was really nice and has a lovely spa etc.

http://www.charleville-park-hotel.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

the carlton kinsale

I've been to the spa here and it was lovely. The hotel looked nice. Just be aware that it is a bit out of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dcmiami

I would normally have said the Kingsley but unfortunately they are still closed after the flood last year. heard that they are opening next year though so thats some light at the end of the tunnel for them I hope!
    Hayfield gorgeous but definitely on the more expensive side....still, if you are treating herself then you'll score major points :)
    River Lee is good, also the Clarion. the Castlemartyr Resort is definitely a splurge but way outside the city (about half hour drive) but great for a quiet weekend away.
    enjoy wherever you go!

dcmiami wrote: »
    I would normally have said the Kingsley but unfortunately they are still closed after the flood last year. heard that they are opening next year though so thats some light at the end of the tunnel for them I hope!
    Hayfield gorgeous but definitely on the more expensive side....still, if you are treating herself then you'll score major points :)
    River Lee is good, also the Clarion. the Castlemartyr Resort is definitely a splurge but way outside the city (about half hour drive) but great for a quiet weekend away.
    enjoy wherever you go!

Hayfield called back but its waaaay out of the budget.
    Castlemartyr is booked out too.

Narrowed it down to the Clarion or Radisson after checking out all the suggestions. Will make a call on it early in the morning!

Thanks a lot everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dcmiami

go with the Clarion.....slap bang in the middle of the city centre, free parking (well, 99% sure it is), lovely area with loads of great restaurants in easy (5 min) walking distance like El Vino at the Elysian, the Boardwalk Bar & Grill, Club Brasserie etc. Shopping on Opera Lane just ten mins walk down Patrick St.
    also strongly recommend Les Gourmandises restaurant......fantastic. French bistro kind of style but I sent my brother and his wife there (she is strict vegetarian) and they basically adjusted every dish on the menu for her on the spot so that she wouldn't be limited in choice!! that to me is customer service way above and beyond considering most restaurants just slap a veggie lasagne or stir fry on their menu!!
    Radisson is lovely but location is rubbish....15 mins outside the city and located in an industrial estate just off the N25....not great :( sorry Radisson!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Maryborough house!!!Fab spa and lots of nice places to sit and lounge.
    Not at all impressed by the Carlton outside Kinsale

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Definitely agree with Maryborough hotel or Imperial for city break, excellant spa in both. My misses used both spas while she was pregnant also. Imperial does a 'mother to be' package.

Parked in Cork city for the day and headin to the Radisson this evenin then to chill out. Will do some undercover reporting and tell ye all about it later! Thanks for all the hard work :)

Good evening from the Radisson!

No complaints at all. Its a lovely spot, everything's clean and comfortable, so thanks for the tips.

Found an absolutely brilliant little restaurant on French Church St. called Strasbourg Goose. (Dunno how well known it is) but it had a fairly big menu and it was 3 courses for €20. Great food and brilliant service.

Homeward bound tomorrow! So thanks for all the help!

Advertisement