Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do? Is this on?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭NinjaNikki

newmug wrote: »
    So:

1)You and your BF cook a pizza big enough for both of you, it costs 2 euro.

2)The other lodger cooks for him and his friend, but it costs 1 euro.

3)The Landlord cooks something for himself and it costs 50cent.

Is that right?

The only thing I see wrong there is the landlord only paying 50cent. This is just basic maths.

You pay 1 euro, your BF pays 1 euro, the other lodger pays 1 euro, L/L pays 50cent, but should pay 1 euro.

In essence, apart from the landlord you all eat for 1 euro. The other lodger had to share his food with his friend, so he comes out the worst. You seem to be confusing the fact that you are being charged more with the fact that there are 2 of you in the couple, so why shouldn't things be doubled up?

see this is what i dont get so beacuse we rent a double room and we cook less then most in this house and because we pay double cause there is 2 of us that even though the other house mate he has someone over all the time we end up paying more even though its not us useing the bills

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

NinjaNikki wrote: »
    see this is what i dont get so beacuse we rent a double room and we cook less then most in this house and because we pay double cause there is 2 of us that even though the other house mate he has someone over all the time we end up paying more even though its not us useing the bills

Look, its simple, simple maths. Everyone pays the same, but because there's 2 of you, you pay double. By the way, can I ask if you're Irish? Did you go to school here? No offence, but I find it very difficult to understand your posts.

newmug wrote: »
    Look, its simple, simple maths. Everyone pays the same, but because there's 2 of you, you pay double. By the way, can I ask if you're Irish? Did you go to school here? No offence, but I find it very difficult to understand your posts.

No i'm from Belgium but moved to England

Anyway like i said i'm okay with the stuff now just upset about the water bill being upped and eircom

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thankyou i just wanted to know its normal about the bills also he is making us pay more for eircom now as well :(

You shouldn't have to pay MORE! You should just pay one quarter each if there are four people living in the house. Any more and he is taking advantage.

dory wrote: »
    You shouldn't have to pay MORE! You should just pay one quarter each if there are four people living in the house. Any more and he is taking advantage.

the eircome bill is 36.86 we where paying 18.36 now where paying 26

tv bill is 10.55

and 345 a month we pay rent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Aha that explains a lot ... I lived in Belgium for 5 years and if you have ever tried to calculate your tax liability or do anything bureaucratic there it is frankly impossible, I worked with a Belgian maths Ph.D and he tried it and got division by zero errors. There is a tradeoff between simplicity and fairness - if you want something absolutely fair then be prepared to pay a lot more for it in either time or money or both.

The only fair way would be to have meters on everything that you put money into ... and also a swipe card system to see how long every tenant is actually in the house. Does this sound practical to you ? If not then splitting the bills is a good compromise. If you're not happy then go live somewhere else.

professore wrote: »
    Aha that explains a lot ... I lived in Belgium for 5 years and if you have ever tried to calculate your tax liability or do anything bureaucratic there it is frankly impossible, I worked with a Belgian maths Ph.D and he tried it and got division by zero errors. There is a tradeoff between simplicity and fairness - if you want something absolutely fair then be prepared to pay a lot more for it in either time or money or both.

The only fair way would be to have meters on everything that you put money into ... and also a swipe card system to see how long every tenant is actually in the house. Does this sound practical to you ? If not then splitting the bills is a good compromise. If you're not happy then go live somewhere else.

Ok dont know where your going off on one bout being belgium?!?

And like i said i was just seeing if this is right!!! sorry but this is the 1st time and im just seeing if it was okay

But i found out the bills being upped is not on so end of this

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

tv bill is 10.55

Why are you paying more for Eircom? Has the Eircom bill increased since you moved in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I'd imagine he's trying to push you out tbh. People can resent couples that move in & just stay in there room keeping their own company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Honestly?

You guys should move out and get your own place. No worries then about landlords keeping you awake at night or how to calculate bills.

• Advertisement

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Why are you paying more for Eircom? Has the Eircom bill increased since you moved in?

No its a fixed bill but no idea why this has happend

Ok dont know where your going off on one bout being belgium?!?

And like i said i was just seeing if this is right!!! sorry but this is the 1st time and im just seeing if it was okay

But i found out the bills being upped is not on so end of this

I wasn't going off on one, just pointing out a cultural difference. As a matter of fact I quite liked living in Belgium, and still have good friends from my time there, but like everywhere else it wasn't perfect. And most Belgians I know (including my wife and her family whom I will be seeing this Christmas) would agree with me. I didn't mean to insult you or Belgium.

In Ireland it is more common to make ad-hoc arrangements like this. It would be normal to split bills by the number of people in the house, however back in the early 90s I shared a house (with another student) and was in a double room whilst the other people were in single rooms, we paid less rent per person but the total rent for the room was more than for the single rooms - e.g. we paid £ 15 per week each (£ 30 for the room) and they paid £ 20 per week (ah the good old days !!!).

So actually if your room is bigger than the others there is an argument that you should pay more for it. If you go on a plane or a train, to the cinema etc can you always get in 2 for the price of 1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

tv bill is 10.55

So why did he put them up? What reason did he give you? If the eircom bill is 36.86, and there are four of you using it, you and your boyfriend's share is 18.43. Why is he increasing your share? Are one of the tenants moving out or something? Is the total bill increasing? There's some information missing from your story

The electricity/water/eircom/tv bills should be split 4 ways, and you and your boyfriend should be paying 2 of those shares (so half of each bill).

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

professore wrote: »
    I wasn't going off on one, just pointing out a cultural difference. As a matter of fact I quite liked living in Belgium, and still have good friends from my time there, but like everywhere else it wasn't perfect. And most Belgians I know (including my wife and her family whom I will be seeing this Christmas) would agree with me. I didn't mean to insult you or Belgium.

In Ireland it is more common to make ad-hoc arrangements like this. It would be normal to split bills by the number of people in the house, however back in the early 90s I shared a house (with another student) and was in a double room whilst the other people were in single rooms, we paid less rent per person but the total rent for the room was more than for the single rooms - e.g. we paid £ 15 per week each (£ 30 for the room) and they paid £ 20 per week (ah the good old days !!!).

So actually if your room is bigger than the others there is an argument that you should pay more for it. If you go on a plane or a train, to the cinema etc can you always get in 2 for the price of 1 ?

sorry for going off on one its just if i dont live here with my boyfriend then we move out and i have to go back to england and thats the end of us

anyway i would love to find a place just for me and him but would it cost more?

28064212 wrote: »
    So why did he put them up? What reason did he give you? If the eircom bill is 36.86, and there are four of you using it, you and your boyfriend's share is 18.43. Why is he increasing your share? Are one of the tenants moving out or something? Is the total bill increasing? There's some information missing from your story

The electricity/water/eircom/tv bills should be split 4 ways, and you and your boyfriend should be paying 2 of those shares (so half of each bill).

Yes its what im trying to say is we get the bills higher then split between four :D

Yes its what im trying to say is we get the bills higher then split between four :D
    Then that's not right, and it sounds like a mis-understanding more than anything. Go back to the landlord and (politely) ask why you should pay more, I can't see any reason why you should unless circumstances have changed

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Then that's not right, and it sounds like a mis-understanding more than anything. Go back to the landlord and (politely) ask why you should pay more, I can't see any reason why you should unless circumstances have changed

Okay thank you everyone for the help just need to see we where getting charged more then split between four

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

http://www.lowe.ie/showProp.asp?id=4906

all bills included @ 575per month...

where do you live?

where does bf work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Okay thank you everyone for the help just need to see we where getting charged more then split between four

Like 28064212 said go ask your LL, we can only guess why, it could be that the bills have increased or it could be that he's trying to pull a fast one, we don't know. Ask to see the bill and make sure it's being divided in four. All the issues your having can be addressed by speaking face to face with your LL and the other house mate.

sorry for going off on one its just if i dont live here with my boyfriend then we move out and i have to go back to england and thats the end of us

Probably would cost more .... however you could look for another solution, perhaps a double bedsit or a small 1-bed apartment, where you don't share the bills. There must be plenty of options now with the property market as it is. However do remember that Dublin is very expensive for renting (compared to Antwerp at least). You could try offering less than the asking rent - it might work. Also get the bills and all contents in writing beforehand, along with photos of any broken or damaged items and get the landlord to sign them. It's also different here in that people renting don't tend to rent for long periods of time.

Maybe your bf could come to England with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

right but the thing is say

Tv we watch it from 5 in the eving untill say 11 at night

the other 2 could be watching it longer as i do it hear it as we are trying to sleep

yes we cook but we cook the same amount as them as the other person has a friend who is here and they cook sometimes more then say one person in fact they basically have this person over all the time but pay for one person the man who owns the place he cooks more then we do and ends up chucking it half the time so yeah they cook like it was for 2 and we end up eating out at least one or even twice a week at family.

The internet okay right we use that say max 5 hours a day between us yet i know from seeing them my self they use it just as much as us so how is this any different.

Water we do one wash a week in washing machine for 2 of use they do about no lie about 2 wash for 2 ppl.

And i and my boyfriend are in the shower but we are in and out so no longer then a normal person they have a bath as well and use a bath as well we have just a shower.

the cleaning fair enough but myself and my boyfriend never use half the rooms and we have to clean the kitchen alot we got a letter through a room this week saying the kitchen was a mess yet it is use that is always emptying the dishwasher and putting it on and cleaning up after everyone els we never get to go in the kitchen to cook until after everyone els as everything is always used and we are not home until 5:30 so its gone 8 before we start cooking and the kitchen is left in a mess food everywhere no clean pans or anything yet we have to clean and everything before we can even think of cooking so its gone 9 before we sit down 2 a meal.

You sound like a nightmare to live with. If I was sharing a house with you and your boyfriend, you be kicked out by now.

Get over it, there is FOUR of you in the house. Bills split FOUR ways. Stop being tight. If you dont like it get your own place with your boyfriend. But then you sound so tight you wouldnt even do that I think.

God i hate sharing with couples.

Anyway like i said i'm okay with the stuff now just upset about the water bill being upped and eircom

Hmmm really you dont understand the concept of "SHARING" so get your own place

Hmmm really you dont understand the concept of "SHARING" so get your own place
    There were 50 posts between the first post and yours, you don't think there might be relevant information in them? Such as the fact that the OP and her bf are being asked to pay more than their fair share

Look you cant have your cake and eat it. Either you agree with sharing or you dont. You dont seem to agree with the way the bills are split and complain about how much TV you use etc.

Whats wrong with going back to England? And why would you have to go back to England? Surely theres loads of places to rent in Ireland? Yes it would cost more to have your own place then sharing with 3 other people. Of course it would.

Im sorry but you sound very young and as if sharing is a whole new concept to you? Are you like 18 or something?

There were 50 posts between the first post and yours, you don't think there might be relevant information in them? Such as the fact that the OP and her bf are being asked to pay more than their fair share

She began complaining that she uses x amount of internet and x amount of TV...that in itself sounds like a pain. She began with the opinion that everything should be split 3 ways, because they cook less and use less water.

If you ever lived with couples, you would know its a nightmare in general.

She began complaining that she uses x amount of internet and x amount of TV...that in itself sounds like a pain. She began with the opinion that everything should be split 3 ways, because they cook less and use less water.

Like every subset of people, some are a nightmare, lots aren't. Like the way you jumped to conclusions without actually reading the thread doesn't mean every poster did. She did not have the opinion that everything should be split three ways. She could have articulated it better, but she clearly stated in later posts that they are being asked to pay more than 2 shares

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Is the OP for real?

Obviously not from Ireland, but is she from another planet?

Learn the rules of house sharing. And learn how to use a full stop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The last few posts have been pretty irrelevant seeing as you clearly did not read the thread.

OP, I think it's pretty clear now. Just pay one quarter each, no more. And always ask to see the bill, don't just hand over what the landlord tells you to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 galwaystudent

You were just told to read the thread as there is more information. And then you come back and mouth out off again, still without reading the rest of the thread...the bills are not being split evenly, her and the bf and are being asked to pay for more than their fair share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

dory wrote: »
    It sounds as if you live in a horrible place. You should really think about moving out. And you should absolutely refuse to pay more for water.
    But sharing the other bills is normal.

Exactly.

OP your landlord sounds like a pain and it can indeed be pain to share with landlord.
    But I also know we are only hearing your side of it and it is very obvious you do not have a concept of house sharing.

On that basis I would say you should get out.
    That way you pay your own bills and you don't feel you are paying for anyone else and nobody else can claim you shoudl pay for them.

That is the very simple solution to your issues.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement