Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just washed my hands and...

• 26-10-2010 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

the anti-bacterial hand wash says 'Kills 99.9% germs' and I've two questions

1. why can't they make one that kills 100% of germs:confused:
    2. is that .1% that it can't kill, just reproducing immediately so what's the point in washing my hands with it at all :confused:and
    3. why am I so bored that i felt the need to ask this to the AHers...:confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There's a spider walking across my floor ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

just think of all the germs on your keyboard OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Did you use one of those auto dispensers, so you don't have to touch the germy bottle, even though you're about to wash your feckin hands anyway:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

What is the point at all when you turn off the same tap you turned on with a dirty hand......now think about that one;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Fittle wrote: »

2. is that .1% that it can't kill, just reproducing immediately so what's the point in washing my hands with it at all :confused:and
    3. why am I so bored that i felt the need to ask this to the AHers...:confused::confused:

1 They mutate a lot so it would be next to impossible to kill 100% as they become resistant and stuff.
    2 So that your hands won't be completely covered in bacteria that could kill you.
    3 cause Tuesdays are rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You just washed your hands and....

What?

Stuck your finger up your bum?

Ate a cat?

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Trekmad wrote: »
    What is the point at all when you turn off the same tap you turned on with a dirty hand......now think about that one;)

I did think about that, which is why I don't wash my hands in public toilets anymore, unless the taps are turned on by a sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I think it's 0.1% of types of germs are resistant to the soap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

We shouldn't be using hand wash like this because
    1. Not all bacteria is bad
    2. This type of stuff is causing the superbugs, like MRSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cieball

ha ha that is something ive never thought about but now its got me thinking ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Remember, OP, these figures come from tests in laboratory conditions.

In the real world, tests have shown these disinfectants and sanitisers only kill about 45-60% of germs.

And that's just all known germs. What about the unknown ones, huh? Howards Hawks'd be spinning in his grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Always wash your hands before going to the loo, you never know what you're exposing your willie to if you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I dont wash my hands i wash my cock and im good for the rest of the day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Latchy wrote: »
    There's a spider walking across my floor ...

Did you catch it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

They probably can/have created such a hand wash... but for insurance reasons they can't say "kills 100% of germs".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Yep Tuesday's are rubbish...didn't think I'd get such sensible answers so kudos to you all!

so I should just get cheap, non anti-bacterial stuff in future? It's a recession ya know:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

its because its a liability if they say 100% and some idiot gets sick and dicides to claim to gain.

hate claim to gain people, a woman in the uk got compensation when a branch fell from a tree in a public park and hit her, act of nature ffs.
    (was on some documentry about hoow bad claim to gain is in the uk)

obviously some is warranted but not all,
    "i sliped on a wet floor", look where your going then you dozy cow
    "i was given the wrong type of ladder" so why the **** did you climb up it if you knew it was the wrong type
    *rant rant rant etc......*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

thats 3 questions

Let's say Dettol put "kills 100% bacteria" instead of 99.9% bacteria on the bottle and you end up getting sick at some point after using it and trace it back to wherever you used the Dettol, you can prob take them to the cleaners with false advertising case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Ya and that 99.9% is only 0.1% of all known germs in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

no point in washing your hands so is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There was a spider walking across Latchy's floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Keptic

Because they know that we know that nothing's perfect, so by leaving 0,1% they make us think we buy a genuine, great product.

I often wonder - are people who make TV ads idiots or they just make them to be that stupid, because they think we are all idiots?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

shaaane wrote: »
    Let's say Dettol put "kills 100% bacteria" instead of 99.9% bacteria on the bottle and you end up getting sick at some point after using it and trace it back to wherever you used the Dettol, you can prob take them to the cleaners with false advertising case.
    iirc pseudomonas can use the active ingredients as a food , or maybe it was TCP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

Trekmad wrote: »

Well, actually, I tend to wash down the tap as I'm washing my hands... OCD at it's best!! :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

1 They mutate a lot so it would be next to impossible to kill 100% as they become resistant and stuff.
    2 So that your hands won't be completely covered in bacteria that could kill you.
    3 cause Tuesdays are rubbish.

someone had to go and ruin it.. nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I saw an anti-bacterial lotion the other day that claimed to kill HIV. Which I thought was might impressive. Then I remembered that the "V" stands for virus. And then I wondered can anti-bacterials actually kill viruses. So I googled it and it turns out that they're no more efffective at doing so than soap and water. I also googled the plural of "virus" to make it wasn't "virii". And it's not. So I learned two things that day. And now I'm learning not to type while drunk. The end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

I never wash my hands after a piss
    loike what's the point. I don't piss on my hands or fingers.
    Throw the ol cock back in and walk away.

Would you wash your hands if you touched your elbow or forehead. The answer is No so why wash your hands after you've touched your willy unless of course you have pissed on your hands ?

Now I always wash my hands after doing a dump.
    I flush public toilets ( everything but my toilet in my house ) with my foot.
    I open doors and locks with the sleeves of my jumper / jacket & never touch anything.

As I am a superifed cleaning & hygenic freak you should take note of this and do the same.

Advertisement