Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need For Speed - Hot Pursuit

Options
  • 26-10-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if thread was already made but I couldn't find one.

Anyway, demo of this was released today. Anyone play it? Gonna give it a try tomorrow. Looking up a few vids and it looks like chase HQ (which I loved). I can see online being a great laugh.

Demo gameplay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Looks pretty good from that video. Guess I'll download the demo tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Been playing the demo for a few hours now. Only 2 modes to try but they are both superb. I cannot wait for this game to come out now. Critereon have done one hell of a job with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Looks like the early Burnout games, loved BO 1-3. Wonder will there be more to do in the full game other than just chasing down a long stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Really looking forward to this. GT5 needs to get out before this otherwise it'll nick some of it's thunder, NFS is always a big Xmas seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Is this coming out on PS3? No sign of a demo on the PS3 store as of yet, looks good but hope there is more to it than a long straight road, would get fairly boring fairly quick otherwise.

• Advertisement

Is this coming out on PS3? No sign of a demo on the PS3 store as of yet, looks good but hope there is more to it than a long straight road, would get fairly boring fairly quick otherwise.

Ya, it's coming out for PS3 alright. Probably just up on the American PS store. Should be on the European store on Thursday if you don't have an American account. damn there are too many good games coming out, can't afford em all!!!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ya, it's coming out for PS3 alright. Probably just up on the American PS store. Should be on the European store on Thursday if you don't have an American account. damn there are too many good games coming out, can't afford em all!!!

Sound man thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Looks great. I had Need for Speed: Hot pursuit for the PS1 yonks ago, used to love that game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm downloading the demo now.

The download speeds on the PSN have gone back to normal for me now. It was painfully slow for the past couple of months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm also downloading it now, I really don't want a NFS in the style of Burnout.
    Need For Speed titles used to be all about exotic cars racing around equally exotic locations, not fecking about in a crap modded jap car.
    The titles in the series since Hot Pursuit 2 on the PS2 have been a quick drop into rubbishness, from Underground all the way down to the stinking depths of Prostreet, with only Most Wanted and Shift providing any respite.
    Here's hoping the new title will restore some of the former glory to a once genre defining franchise.
    And for those who missed out on the earlier games, pick up a cheap PS2 in Gamestop, go and buy NFS3, NFS:Road Challenge, NFS: Porsche Challenge and NFS: Hot Pursuit 2.

• Advertisement

It's been built by Critereon, and it looks like they've put a lot of work into it. It would be closest to NFS:Most Wanted, which was fairly good in it's own right, but this in another world compared to it in polish.

Two tracks only, yet can't stop playing it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Does it play like Shift, Most Wanted, Burnout? Or.... errk Prostreet?

Nothing like Shift, closer to Burnout I suppose, but to me the cars handle a little like Blur but a bit heavier.

is it takin anyone else absolutely ages to download?? mad to play it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played it last night. I was expecting the handling to be more arcadey than it is, took a little while to adjust! Agree that the cars feel 'heavy'. Not a bad thing, but definitely a different driving model to Blur and Split Second.

As for the game, seems pretty decent. Loving the long tracks, really good idea. The cop gameplay is more compelling. Power ups are odd - road block useful, don't know if my spike strips worked or not! - but it is pretty intense trying to catch up and shunt the racers off the road.

The racing segment is more ho-hum - fairly standard going by the level presented here. Need more time with it to see if will emerge as anything more interesting.

I'm intrigued by the demo, wasn't blown away by any stretch but has potential, online particularly. I am liking this trend towards more action packed racers, with the likes of this, Blur and Split Second adding a bit of fun into what can often be a fairly by the numbers genre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

it looks fúcking amazing

Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

After loading the demo I was greeted with an unskippable promotion video - always annoying.

Thankfully, the gameplay recovered my initial annoyance.

Game seems pretty solid - cars feel heavier as stated above and smashing into the wall does seem to cost a lot of time (unlike other games where it speeds you up - though this could just take playing around).

Playing as cop is fun - Only got to put out the road block and spike strip. Took the racers down really quickly my second attempt. Integration of social challenges is very much like Blur but on a bigger scale (automatically a challenge rather than invitation).

Collisions with cars are a bit iffy though - often send them flying!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Please be good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Buddy of mine works for EA over in London, he's in the Criterion section. It'll be odd seeing his name in the credits (Probably the only time I'll look at the credits in a game :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Buddy of mine works for EA over in London, he's in the Criterion section. It'll be odd seeing his name in the credits (Probably the only time I'll look at the credits in a game :pac:)

Never mind his name on the credits, get him to send you a pre-release copy.

*pffft* take advantage of friends in advantageous jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

These are generally not my kinda games but I gave the demo a shot thinking it was a multiplayer demo.

I was disappointed.

Also would have been nice to have a driver seat view. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Liked the chases in Most Wanted. Didn't like NFS:HP, as I had to beep my horn or crash into the cops to get them to chase me: and even then they sometimes didn't NFS:HP2 was better, but the AI still sucked, and it was too easy to evade the cops. In Most Wanted, I had chases that exceeded 20 minutes. Sure, I would end up dead in all but one, but t'was great fun. Didn't really play it apart from the chases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Anyone play this on playstation? I can only play the cop section. I cant play the other part as none of my friends play the demo :(

Anyway my PSN is thorbarry, if you want to add me so I can play the other part, and you can play it too :)

thorbarry wrote: »
    Anyone play this on playstation? I can only play the cop section. I cant play the other part as none of my friends play the demo :(

Anyway my PSN is thorbarry, if you want to add me so I can play the other part, and you can play it too :)

Whats with unlocking features from demos by getting friend sto play it these days!!

Anyway, still downloading it, should be finished tonight. I'll add ya tonight. Do you need to suggest the demo to me or just have someone on the friends list play it?

It will open automatically once a friend plays it, then you can compare times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Whats with unlocking features from demos by getting friend sto play it these days!!

Anyway, still downloading it, should be finished tonight. I'll add ya tonight. Do you need to suggest the demo to me or just have someone on the friends list play it?

yea its a bit ridiculous alright, cheers dude. I think it just picks it up that you are playing.

Kotaku showing in depth look at the demo. Comments say the demo will be taken down? Anyone else here this?

http://kotaku.com/5675523/a-deep-look-at-need-for-speed-hot-pursuits-demo

It's a week long demo only :(

Got the demo on the PS3 and it has potentially to be very good, will definitely be one to be considered. Game-play is good, not too serious and not too childish. I will be keeping an eye on this one alright.

A nice feature would be downloadable paint jobs for the police cars, so we could have a German police Porsche or a Garda Veyron :D

• Advertisement

I'm finally gona play this tonight. Found a vid where dev explains the demo and it shows that unlockable race as well "1st race you will take part in the full game" Looks brilliant!

Advertisement