Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a patch panel

• 26-10-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Posted in net/comm's but not many replies.

I think this is what I am looking for. In the picture is two red lines which are approx 14" each. This is a hollow boxing which runs up through the house which I plan to run cat5/6 down and plug into something to enable all devices in the house (xboxes/pc/media player etc) to be able to talk to each other. IF possible and if not to expensive I would like to have something that could be recessed into this hollow boxing which, when you take the baton's into consideration I would say there is approx 10" of free space to mount something.
    Second option is to put four cat5 sockets recessed into the boxing and plug the cables into a switch/router/modem. What model/make should I be looking for.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Hi Cubix

Option 2 is a winner in my eyes, just put some sockets into the boxing and plug everything into a decent switch, if going to be more than 3 devices i would reccomend using a seperate switch than your dsl/cable router and link the 2.

Advertisement