Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying but failing!

Options
  • 26-10-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

I cannot seem to get basil to stay alive, any tips? Also, want to pot something into my pots at the door, would ideally like plants or flowers that between them will always have some colour. I'd just love some success!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

I cannot seem to get basil to stay alive, any tips? Also, want to pot something into my pots at the door, would ideally like plants or flowers that between them will always have some colour. I'd just love some success!

Have had trouble with basil too... 2nd year with it and a failure... :-(

For Winter Colour... Try Winter Bedding plant's

Viola's / pansy's ...Primula's .. foliage plant's like Ivy..

Depending on size of Pot's

you can also get several Berry plant's for your Pot's.. Skimmia / Pyrancanta
    Have mix of both Bedding plants and berry plant';s.... Foliage plant's like Fatsia japonica.... Plant Spring Bulbs as well in the pot's to extend the interest in your container/Pot...
    Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Just to Add... Regarding Pot's and Winter!!

Makes sure the Pot's have good Drainage... to prevent water logging..

And Ensure you check for watering if required....constantly..
    Even if it's rained all Week... Your Neighbours may think you are nut's when they see you with a watering Can, after constant rain but you'd be surprised How quickly pot's dry out ... and even fail to Get damp with all the rain we get!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Another basil failure here - i've never managed to keep it alive for more than a few weeks
    A good tip i got for tulip bulbs was to sit them on a couple of inches of sand and they will come up year after year. It works for me.
    The mini daffodil bulbs are lovely too

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

Also had difficulty here with mine but some are starting to come up now on the windowsill. I think you have to make sure they have the best of everything - indoor temperatures, good soil that is never waterlogged - also how deep you plant them I think can be important.

They are originally an Asian/tropical plant, I think - so mimicing these growing conditions might yield some success.

Keep the faith - its a herb worth having in bushloads!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

basil is a very delicate plant

for the first time in about 6 years i have managed to keep mine alive since april.

make sure it is not in direct sunlight but that it gets sun.

make sure there are no drafts anywhere near it.

do not over or under water it.

the best way to water it is with the finger test, when you put your finger in the soil if there is soil on your finger leave it alone.

if it needs water place a pot in a bowl of water for 20 mins.

dont let it grow too high, pinch out the new growth

GOOD LUCK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

It likes heat, I always grow it in my glasshouse. You find that the pots you buy in supermarkets always have some chill damage. And it likes tomato feed so its a good companion plant to grow at the base of the tomatoes, especially when you have deleafed the lower leaves off the tomato. As the previous poster said pinch the heads before it goes to flower. Whitefly loves it too but you can use the warm water and fairy liquid trick for this.

Advertisement